Gore Wants US to Abandon Fossil Fuels by 2018

no one thinks we can switch over immediately. not even al gore thinks that. and of course we'll still need oil in the meantime. but we need to start somewhere, and people saying 'well it will cost $$ and take awhile' are simply delaying the transition. but then, i guess the abu dhabi investment authority doesnt have enough money and property yet. we should keep waiting

I am not saying it will cost a lot to delay it. In fact I see it as all the more reason to start right now. The only way we will be able to do it, is to spread the massive costs of it, over a period of years, or even Decades. So start now, but in the meantime For gods sake, lets stop sending so much money over seas for oil, and start drilling for our own oil reserves.

Last edited:
I am not saying it will cost a lot to delay it. In fact I see it as all the more reason to start right now. The only way we will be able to do it, is to spread the massive costs of it, over a period of years, or even Decades. So start now, but in the meantime For gods sake, lets stop sending so much money over seas for oil, and start drilling for our own oil reserves.

It's either all or nothing with some people....

I see your point.

It's either all or nothing with some people....

I see your point.

very true. for the most part the dems only want to use alternates and the repubs only want to drill more. why cant we do both and stop playing games in congress?

very true. for the most part the dems only want to use alternates and the repubs only want to drill more. why cant we do both and stop playing games in congress?

Political posturing.

When they arrive at "the fix" that makes both sides rich, they're let us know and castigate any who object as radicals.

But you are overstating both parties positions here, I suspect.

I don't doubt some Ds will vote for drilling and I don't doubt some Rs will be supporting alternative energy.

I don't doubt some Ds will vote for drilling and I don't doubt some Rs will be supporting alternative energy.

:thup:

Because all both parties care about is Power, Not you, not me, and for damn sure not what is best for the county.

QUESTION:

if we had a five year plan that took us completely off of petroleum, both foreign and domestic, but increased Nuclear Energy facilities who would hop on board?

I live less than 30 miles from a full Nuclear Power plant. the University of Missouri HAS a nuclear reactor in city limits. I'm aware of three mile island and am all for greener energies to fill in the gaps... But they are not enough.

thoughts?

I think a ten year plan would be more realistic. The major problem I have with Nuclear is the fact that it is very expensive. Were we to sell solar with electric, or plug in hybrids, the homeowner would buy his car, and most of the fuel he would use in the future in one package. Most, probably over 80% of the use of personal vehicles are for trips of less than 20 miles from home. A 50 mile range on pure electric would cover that kind of trip. The hybrid function would cover cross country trips.

As for the alternative energies not being enough, that is correct if one considers only the present grid. Were we to build a real distributed grid, we have many times the energy we use available in the form of wind, solar, and geothermal. While solar is still rather expensive, there are some pioneering projects that have real promise. A 2.5 Mw on the roofs of warehouses in San Diego. And here in Portland, Oregon, a 1.1 Mw project, also on the roof of a set of warehouses. They showed them applying the solar panels and it was most impressive. They were in the form of rolls that glued to the roof. They just rolled them out and plugged them in. Very quick, and required very little labor.

What is lacking for a switch to alternatives, including nuclear, is not technology, but a lack of imagination and leadership.

Al Gore, dare I say, is a cheap, moronic, hypocritical ultra Liberal.

I 100% agree with him on ONE thing. We need to get off of oil. The problem with that is that there is no viable replacement that can fully replace oil at the current consumption. Even if we did, we have to realize the infrastructure changes that would have to take place. Every house. Every car. Every plane. Every train. Every boat. Every town, city, or metro area. Every gas station. It is going to take at least 2 decades to make the change. Probably closer to 3. That is why I am for drilling our own oil to reduce both price and our dependence on foreign oil, especially from Middle-Eastern Countries. We, at the same time, should be pouring money into finding alternative energy for both vehicles and for other power needs. Doing one or the other is foolish, but combining both is necessary and required. We CAN NOT forget our current energy situations, current needs, and future needs for both domestic and military issues.

That is what I have been trying to get my lib friends realize. Obama wants to force us off our dependency on oil without any immediate alternative. By creating these standards for the oil companies that will only drive gas prices even higher than they were this past summer.
Excellent post!

There is a big problem with wind and solar power. They don't provide a steady stream of power, and you can't just turn them on and off when you need them. Everyone says the technology is already here, but it is not. Until we have a way to store electicity, alternative sources can only be used in limited form.

The problem is that electricity must be produced and supplied when it is needed. Adding wind power to the mix is a great idea, but too much and you will blow the grid, because it can only handle so much at one time.

In order to move to these alternate sources of energy, battery technology will need to improve a great deal. The most likely solution is to have every home, building, etc... have it's own storage facility (battery). As excess energy is being produced, storage facilities would pull the extra power into storage for use when less energy was being supplied to the grid. The biggest problem would be finding a way to determine when the grid was at maximum capacity and how to tell the storage facilities to pull and store the electicity versus when not to do that.

When Gore abandons using fossil fuels, I'll worry about what he says. When you look up hypocrite in the dictionary, you find his face right next to it. For his speeches on global warming, he flies back and forth using private jets and travels in a lomousine. He's a fraud.

Tennessee Center for Policy Research
Al Gore’s Personal Energy Use Is His Own “Inconvenient Truth”
Gore’s home uses more than 20 times the national average

Last night, Al Gore’s global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore’s mansion, located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.

“As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk the walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use,” said Tennessee Center for Policy Research President Drew Johnson.

In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006.

Tennessee Center for Policy Research
Al Gore’s Personal Energy Use Is His Own “Inconvenient Truth”
Gore’s home uses more than 20 times the national average

Last night, Al Gore’s global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore’s mansion, located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.

“As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk the walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use,” said Tennessee Center for Policy Research President Drew Johnson.

In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006.

I don't have a problem with Natural Gas. It comes from our own soil and burns much cleaner than oil.

O I agree,

Natural gas burns a lot cleaner however, it is a fossil fuel, and we should be off it according to Gore. I linked it because he is a hypocritical fuck an dwith all the green renovations he has done to his home he still uses more juice then anyone in the state

Al Gore is chairman and founder of a private equity firm called Generation Investment Management (GIM). According to Gore, the London-based firm invests money from institutions and wealthy investors in companies that are going green. “Generation Investment Management, purchases -- but isn’t a provider of -- carbon dioxide offsets,” said spokesman Richard Campbell in a March 7 report by CNSNews.

GIM appears to have considerable influence over the major carbon-credit trading firms that currently exist: the Chicago Climate Exchange (CCX) in the U.S. and the Carbon Neutral Company (CNC) in Great Britain. CCX is the only firm in the U.S. that claims to trade carbon credits.
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=22663

Take this along with his private jet usage and his own lifestyle that does not match his own talk and policies that he is pushing that he wants the rest of us to adhere to then you have some idea as to the real motives of Al Gore. Al Gore has been pushing the environmental agenda for Al Gore's own profit and nothing more, he could care less about the environment. In fact I don't recall during his presidential campaign in 2000 any of this huge push for environmental change because of the global warming emergency. It seems the emergency became a emergency since Al Gore became a private citizen. Further this issue is so ripe with hypocracy it's not even funny, if all these environmental policies are put into place it still will only stop those countries willing to participate in any programs to limit carbon emissions. While other countries, China, India, Russia, and many others keep on building at a record pace. So what is this agenda really? IMHO it is a financial one that puts money into the pockets of people like Al Gore that are in the environmental business and much to our nations chagrin as we are the ones who suffer over this stupidity.

• Thanks
Reactions: CSM
Al Gore is chairman and founder of a private equity firm called Generation Investment Management (GIM). According to Gore, the London-based firm invests money from institutions and wealthy investors in companies that are going green. “Generation Investment Management, purchases -- but isn’t a provider of -- carbon dioxide offsets,” said spokesman Richard Campbell in a March 7 report by CNSNews.

GIM appears to have considerable influence over the major carbon-credit trading firms that currently exist: the Chicago Climate Exchange (CCX) in the U.S. and the Carbon Neutral Company (CNC) in Great Britain. CCX is the only firm in the U.S. that claims to trade carbon credits.
The Money and Connections Behind Al Gore’s Carbon Crusade - HUMAN EVENTS

Take this along with his private jet usage and his own lifestyle that does not match his own talk and policies that he is pushing that he wants the rest of us to adhere to then you have some idea as to the real motives of Al Gore. Al Gore has been pushing the environmental agenda for Al Gore's own profit and nothing more, he could care less about the environment. In fact I don't recall during his presidential campaign in 2000 any of this huge push for environmental change because of the global warming emergency. It seems the emergency became a emergency since Al Gore became a private citizen. Further this issue is so ripe with hypocracy it's not even funny, if all these environmental policies are put into place it still will only stop those countries willing to participate in any programs to limit carbon emissions. While other countries, China, India, Russia, and many others keep on building at a record pace. So what is this agenda really? IMHO it is a financial one that puts money into the pockets of people like Al Gore that are in the environmental business and much to our nations chagrin as we are the ones who suffer over this stupidity.

The last I read on the subject is that he had earned 100 million dollars.. I will believe him when he lives what he preaches..

Putting Al Gore to the side, we should try to move away from fossil fuels but you are right he should set a better example if he plans on saying something like that.

But we should strive for this one by one anyways no matter who said it. We already know alot of the world is anti american especially areas where an abundance of fossil fuels deposits are located. Its should be less about being green and more about our security if he had just said that i bet everyone would have took it differently.

Forum List

Back