Gore Wants US to Abandon Fossil Fuels by 2018

they release O2 when they produce photosynthates, and release CO2 when they metabolize those photosynthates. but plants also take up carbon and use it for cellular building, so they sequester more carbon than they release through cellular respiration.

in other words, they take in much more CO2 during photosynthesis than they emit during respiration, and it really isnt very close

How much is the difference?

How much is the difference?

depends on the plant, light, temperature, soil, moisture, etc. i likely will be away from the computer for a few days, so cant get too specific. but do a search for plant maintenance respiration. that should give you some answers

depends on the plant, light, temperature, soil, moisture, etc. i likely will be away from the computer for a few days, so cant get too specific. but do a search for plant maintenance respiration. that should give you some answers
I read about it on wikipedia and it didn't give the exact difference. So I'm not sure. Say a plant respires half as much C02 as it takes in...then you make it into fuel and it releases more when burned...I can almost see where it'd be better to keep using oil if c02 is the only argument.

I read about it on wikipedia and it didn't give the exact difference. So I'm not sure. Say a plant respires half as much C02 as it takes in...then you make it into fuel and it releases more when burned...I can almost see where it'd be better to keep using oil if c02 is the only argument.

Or we could try to developing something that releases no CO2 when used. :)

just sayin

do you have a source showing how safe it is.

i dont feel that it is extremely unsafe (though i live near 3 mile island). i'm just making sure you arent making baseless claims

No. How do you quanitify how safe something is? Apparently the standard is if we can't show that nothing will ever happen, it's unsafe. Besides I used the word 'safer'. I never attempted to quantify it. If you can prove they aren't in fact safer, more power to you. I'm sure absolutely nothing was done or learned to prevent a repeat of said events.

so your source is all subjective. well, three mile island started commercial operation in 74. worked fine for 5 years. since there were no accidents in those first 5 years, there wouldnt be one in the 6th year, right? oops.

dont get me wrong, its great that there havent been any recent accidents. but to declare that it is completely safe now, without a source, isnt true. there will always be risks. should that alone deter us from using it? no. i am against opinions being told as if they were fact.

Saying something is safe and trying to garuntee nothing bad will ever happen are two very different things. No matter what alternative option we choose, there are going to be negatives. If you're looking for no risk cure, no problem cure you're gonna be looking awhile.

Get us off the hydro-carbon addiction entirely.

Corn, oil, algae, wood, I don't care what.

We have to get off this addiction and find nonpolluting energy sources

However, until you find a worthy substitute, we're stuck with oil.

So far nobody has. But you expect us to suffer because you just don't like oil. It's idiotic.

Yeah, but the left will say we have the alternatives already. which may be true, but it ignores the fact that we can not just switch over to something else over night. It is going to take time. You can't expect everyone to wake up tomarrow and go buy windmills and electric cars. Can you even image how much it would cost. It is going to take time to make a transition and during that time. We will need oil.

Yeah, but the left will say we have the alternatives already. which may be true, but it ignores the fact that we can not just switch over to something else over night. It is going to take time. You can't expect everyone to wake up tomarrow and go buy windmills and electric cars. Can you even image how much it would cost. It is going to take time to make a transition and during that time. We will need oil.

And the right always whines, "We can't switch because it's hard!"

This is a national emergency of the highest order. If we had a real president, he would call in all the experts including my boy T. Boone Pickens, and make a plan and present it to the country and the Congress. And believe me, the people would pitch in to help.

Instead we have a mildly retarded frat boy president who does nothing. We need real leadership. We will get it starting January 20, 2009.

And the right always whines, "We can't switch because it's hard!"

Maybe they do maybe they don't.

I have never said that. all I said was it will take some time, and in the meantime we need oil.

But feel free to lump me in with whomever you wish.

As far as the rest of your post, I can not argue with it at all. :)

Maybe they do maybe they don't.

I have never said that. all I said was it will take some time, and in the meantime we need oil.

But feel free to lump me in with whomever you wish.

As far as the rest of your post, I can not argue with it at all. :)

If the is how you feel, that's cool. But this is a national emergency, and we desperately need leadership. I pray that we get it from the next president.

No. How do you quanitify how safe something is? Apparently the standard is if we can't show that nothing will ever happen, it's unsafe. Besides I used the word 'safer'. I never attempted to quantify it. If you can prove they aren't in fact safer, more power to you. I'm sure absolutely nothing was done or learned to prevent a repeat of said events.

if you cant quantify it, maybe you shouldnt say it. or at least add 'IMO' to the sentence.

im not looking for a no risk or problem cure. but it should be remembered that the potential damage caused by a nuclear plant malfunctioning are far far greater than those of any other type of plant.
im pointing out the drawbacks to nuclear. with the lovefest that was happening in here someone had to do it.

no one thinks we can switch over immediately. not even al gore thinks that. and of course we'll still need oil in the meantime. but we need to start somewhere, and people saying 'well it will cost $$ and take awhile' are simply delaying the transition. but then, i guess the abu dhabi investment authority doesnt have enough money and property yet. we should keep waiting

Forum List

Back