Gore Wants US to Abandon Fossil Fuels by 2018

Manuel

Jan 7, 2008
Sydney
Former Vice President Al Gore said on Thursday that Americans must abandon electricity generated by fossil fuels within a decade and rely on the sun, the winds and other environmentally friendly sources of power, or risk losing their national security as well as their creature comforts.

“The survival of the United States of America as we know it is at risk,” Mr. Gore said in a speech to an energy conference here. “The future of human civilization is at stake.”

Gore Calls for Carbon-Free Electric Power - NYTimes.com

Yeah, how about all those private Jets he flies around on. I guess he is saying do as I say not as I do.

just one flight on his private jets releases more bad shit into the air than I will in my whole life.

QUESTION:

if we had a five year plan that took us completely off of petroleum, both foreign and domestic, but increased Nuclear Energy facilities who would hop on board?

I live less than 30 miles from a full Nuclear Power plant. the University of Missouri HAS a nuclear reactor in city limits. I'm aware of three mile island and am all for greener energies to fill in the gaps... But they are not enough.

thoughts?

QUESTION:

if we had a five year plan that took us completely off of petroleum, both foreign and domestic, but increased Nuclear Energy facilities who would hop on board?

I live less than 30 miles from a full Nuclear Power plant. the University of Missouri HAS a nuclear reactor in city limits. I'm aware of three mile island and am all for greener energies to fill in the gaps... But they are not enough.

thoughts?

If we took the $700 billion dollars we spent on Iraq and spent it on alternative energy, we could free ourselves of our dependence on foreign oil. We have the technology. All we need is the political will.

i didnt ask about a what if or shoulda. We are where we are. Would you trade fossil fuels for nuclear energy with green sources filling in the gaps.

i didnt ask about a what if or shoulda. We are where we are. Would you trade fossil fuels for nuclear energy with green sources filling in the gaps.

Nuclear energy is a disaster, and there is no need for it.

Nuclear energy is a disaster, and there is no need for it.

LOL figures, To answer your question Shog, I would sign on in a min. there is inherently wrong nothing with Nuclear power IMO.

It would be nice if Kirk would tell us all why Nuclear power is such a disaster, and please don't talk about CHernobal, as that was human error, and poor planning.

I guess im influenced by the fact that ive lived within the blast radius of one my entire life. Is there risk to Nuclear? oh yes. The urban explorer images of wasted radioactive towns are earie. ARE there also risks with fossil fuels? Well, go look at a global warming thread and figure it out. Green sources are no panacea. I have an idea in my head (but no capital) to turn our vast deserts into a proverbial solar battery.. BUT, with Ted Kennedy fighting wind in quaint Nimby fashion and the very real threat of throwing money at saudi princes I think it's time to step away from 20th century rhetoric and come to terms with actual solutions. I like hydro. I like Wave energy creation. I like Solar. But we need MORE than that.

LOL figures, To answer your question Shog, I would sign on in a min. there is inherently wrong nothing with Nuclear power IMO.

It would be nice if Kirk would tell us all why Nuclear power is such a disaster, and please don't talk about CHernobal, as that was human error, and poor planning.

I think that's his point though. That human error and poor planning with nuclear reaction can be, and has been, disastrous.

Personally, I think the potential consequences are few and far between enough, that it's a worthwhile venture. I don't want to see every grid littered with nuclear reactors though. The more you create, the higher the odds of a disaster. Keep it minimal and bridge the gap with other alternatives.

The so called waste can actually be reprocessed and reused, but I am sure you will find a reason to call that a bad Idea as well. Fact is Nuclear power can be a perfectly safe and clean source of Power, however I believe there are to many kirks out there, and we will be prevented from using it.

Forum List

Back