Gore Wants US to Abandon Fossil Fuels by 2018

Producing ethanol is hurting a lot of people. The price of corn and soybeans has rocketed and people are paying through the nose for food because so many big farmers, like ADM, jumped on the ethanol band wagon.

thats why we shouldnt be using corn to make it. that doesnt mean we shouldnt make it at all

Maybe. I'm not totally convinced the other ideas are feasible, but I'm willing to look into it.

algae and sweet sorghum are very realistic, as is using hemp and fast growing trees once a better way is developed for breaking down cellulose.

France is in the process of building 20 more. I'll bet if France can build 20, we can build 20. What do you say Busara? You think we can do it if they can or is it still too expensive for us? Not for the juggernaut French economy, but too much for sluggish down-trodden US economy?

source? last i saw they recently announced one and in may a plant was delayed, but thats it.

New nuclear plant chief leads expansion project

by David Reed

July 11,2008

Adam Heflin started his new job this month as AmerenUE’s chief nuclear officer and head of operations at the Callaway Nuclear Plant. If company objectives are reached, he will preside over the biggest building project in Missouri’s history and witness an economic boom in Callaway and Boone counties.

In late July or early August, AmerenUE will submit a license application for Callaway No. 2 to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

New Nuclear Plant Chief Leads Expansion Project Columbia Business Times

AmerenUE ponders state law as it looks to add a nuke plant

callaway460.jpg

When Union Electric Co. pulled the plug on a second nuclear reactor in Callaway County in October 1982, few could have guessed that a new generation of executives would be back 25 years later with plans for another plant. But that's exactly what's happening.

The St. Louis-based utility, now called AmerenUE, and its partner, Baltimore-based UniStar Nuclear LLC, will seek a construction and operating license as soon as next month for a $6 billion, 1,600-megawatt plant next to the existing Callaway nuclear plant.

AmerenUE executives won't decide whether to go forward with the project until 2010, but they want to make sure that everything is in place if they do. Among the items on their agenda: reversing a 1976 law that prohibits Missouri utilities from charging customers for power plants while they're being built.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/bu...b6d01162fab4a0f7862574630004a9f8?opendocument

As to the whole bit about Corn prices and ethanol, the solution is to contract corn production that is held outside of the food market. We do a similar thing when paying people NOT to grow on their land in order to facilitate stable market prices. Nix the payoffs for not farming land and make a distinction between profitable food corn and profitable energy corn.

damn, im good.

Apparently, not good enough to circumvent a double post!

so you are actually telling me when you burn ethanol no CO2 is released?

no, he is saying that when it is growing it absorbs CO2. therefore no new CO2 is realeased, just what it absorbed. it is close to cancelling each other out

no, he is saying that when it is growing it absorbs CO2. therefore no new CO2 is realeased, just what it absorbed. it is close to cancelling each other out

LOL I see. so we can save the world by planting more plants.

Glad you finally agree :)

One problem though, the links he keeps giving us about the dangers of CO2 talk about how it gets trapped high in the atmosphere. So unless we are going to raise the algae up there, I am not so sure your grand idea will work :)

Last edited:

One problem though, the links he keeps giving us about the dangers of CO2 talk about how it gets trapped high in the atmosphere. So unless we are going to raise the algae up there, I am not so sure your grand idea will work :)

finally agree? what are you talking about?

the problem is that CO2 is getting caught in the atmosphere because it is being released faster than it can be absorbed. if we stop burning fossil fuels, we're not releasing more CO2.

I'm not a scientist, but don't plants give off oxygen during the day and give off C02 at night? That would mean whatever emitted during the burning of the fuel wouldn't be affected...there is no canceling out.

Shogun's drive-by solutions episode 549

Cattle colostomy bags which collect their gaseous and solid waste for composting matierial and plant growth is sold to the new burgeoning market of environmentally controlled Desert farms. Paired with a new market of selling access water to inland waterless locations (Thanks global warming!) we could turn wasted desert land into miles of usable land to produce both energy and consumption foods, create jobs AND feed the world. Practice in our back yard and then take the knowledge and technology STRAIT to the saraha.

This has been a Drive-by solution brought to you by your friendly neighborhood shogun.

Did you even read the link I provided?

"The reality is more complex. Trying to grow concentrations of the finicky organism is a bit like trying to balance the water in a fish tank. It’s also expensive. The water needs to be just the right temperature for algae to proliferate, and even then open ponds can become choked with invasive species. Atmospheric levels of CO2 also aren’t high enough to spur exponential growth.

Solix addresses these problems by containing the algae in closed “photobioreactors”—triangular chambers made from sheets of polyethylene plastic (similar to a painter’s dropcloth)—and bubbling supplemental carbon dioxide through the system. Eventually, the source of the CO2 will be exhaust from power plants and other industrial processes, providing the added benefit of capturing a potent greenhouse gas before it reaches the atmosphere.

Given the right conditions, algae can double its volume overnight. Unlike other biofuel feedstocks, such as soy or corn, it can be harvested day after day. Up to 50 percent of an alga’s body weight is comprised of oil, whereas oil-palm trees—currently the largest producer of oil to make biofuels—yield just about 20 percent of their weight in oil. Across the board, yields are already impressive: Soy produces some 50 gallons of oil per acre per year; canola, 150 gallons; and palm, 650 gallons. But algae is expected to produce 10,000 gallons per acre per year, and eventually even more. "

I'm not a scientist, but don't plants give off oxygen during the day and give off C02 at night? That would mean whatever emitted during the burning of the fuel wouldn't be affected...there is no canceling out.

they release O2 when they produce photosynthates, and release CO2 when they metabolize those photosynthates. but plants also take up carbon and use it for cellular building, so they sequester more carbon than they release through cellular respiration.

in other words, they take in much more CO2 during photosynthesis than they emit during respiration, and it really isnt very close

Forum List

Back