Gore Wants US to Abandon Fossil Fuels by 2018

Al Gore, dare I say, is a cheap, moronic, hypocritical ultra Liberal.

I 100% agree with him on ONE thing. We need to get off of oil. The problem with that is that there is no viable replacement that can fully replace oil at the current consumption. Even if we did, we have to realize the infrastructure changes that would have to take place. Every house. Every car. Every plane. Every train. Every boat. Every town, city, or metro area. Every gas station. It is going to take at least 2 decades to make the change. Probably closer to 3. That is why I am for drilling our own oil to reduce both price and our dependence on foreign oil, especially from Middle-Eastern Countries. We, at the same time, should be pouring money into finding alternative energy for both vehicles and for other power needs. Doing one or the other is foolish, but combining both is necessary and required. We CAN NOT forget our current energy situations, current needs, and future needs for both domestic and military issues.

I guess im influenced by the fact that ive lived within the blast radius of one my entire life. Is there risk to Nuclear? oh yes. The urban explorer images of wasted radioactive towns are earie. ARE there also risks with fossil fuels? Well, go look at a global warming thread and figure it out. Green sources are no panacea. I have an idea in my head (but no capital) to turn our vast deserts into a proverbial solar battery.. BUT, with Ted Kennedy fighting wind in quaint Nimby fashion and the very real threat of throwing money at saudi princes I think it's time to step away from 20th century rhetoric and come to terms with actual solutions. I like hydro. I like Wave energy creation. I like Solar. But we need MORE than that.

Bring them all on. I like all of them. I like wind, nuclear, solar, more oil, gas, hydro, geo-thermal. May the best energy win.

Speaking of the dangers of nuclear, who else here has been irradiated by a nuclear disaster besides me? It's been 22 years now and counting. So far no cancer. Little less hair, but who knows if that's related?

I think that's his point though. That human error and poor planning with nuclear reaction can be, and has been, disastrous.

Personally, I think the potential consequences are few and far between enough, that it's a worthwhile venture. I don't want to see every grid littered with nuclear reactors though. The more you create, the higher the odds of a disaster. Keep it minimal and bridge the gap with other alternatives.

France is super high in nuclear. Where is the usual chant that we ought to do what the super-smart Europeans do? Or is it no nukes unless we do socialized health care? Should we link them in case of an accident?

Sorry, feeling a little cynical just now.

The so called waste can actually be reprocessed and reused, but I am sure you will find a reason to call that a bad Idea as well. Fact is Nuclear power can be a perfectly safe and clean source of Power, however I believe there are to many kirks out there, and we will be prevented from using it.

Yes, it's so great the insurance companies won't insure it.

Bring them all on. I like all of them. I like wind, nuclear, solar, more oil, gas, hydro, geo-thermal. May the best energy win.

Speaking of the dangers of nuclear, who else here has been irradiated by a nuclear disaster besides me? It's been 22 years now and counting. So far no cancer. Little less hair, but who knows if that's related?

Was it 3 mile Island? Because if so you most likely received about as many rads as you would having 3 Xrays. What happened at 3 mile has been totally blown out of proportion by people looking to demonize nuclear power I am afraid.

Was it 3 mile Island? Because if so you most likely received about as many rads as you would having 3 Xrays. What happened at 3 mile has been totally blown out of proportion by people looking to demonize nuclear power I am afraid.

You might want to ask my neighbor who just lost his throat to cancer he got in Chernobyl what he thinks of nuclear power.

Chernobyl then.

No, it was Chernobyl. I was out in the field in Germany when the radiation cloud came over. The Army told us it was "fine" don't worry about it. Just don't eat any fresh fruits or vegetables for a week. And....uh....might want to skip the meat too. But everything is "just fine." Carry on.

LOL.

You might want to ask my neighbor who just lost his throat to cancer he got in Chernobyl what he thinks of nuclear power.

Your neighbor is a pussy. I got hit with the Chernobyl radiation and it didn't affect me none. Well, 'cept for this extra head I started to grow, but they say more radiation will fix that. :D

So what?

Where are you going to store it?

Alright you flat-Earth, Luddite mother-fucker, you better start making some god damned energy cuz we're not going back to horse and fucking buggy. If you say renewables can do it, then damn it, I spent 2 years in Missouri, you're gonna have to "Show me" cuz I haven't seen it yet.

We need to start doing something we KNOW will work RIGHT NOW. Nuclear is our current BEST option. Now do something that produces energy or get the fuck out of the way!

Al Gore, dare I say, is a cheap, moronic, hypocritical ultra Liberal.

I 100% agree with him on ONE thing. We need to get off of oil. The problem with that is that there is no viable replacement that can fully replace oil at the current consumption. Even if we did, we have to realize the infrastructure changes that would have to take place. Every house. Every car. Every plane. Every train. Every boat. Every town, city, or metro area. Every gas station. It is going to take at least 2 decades to make the change. Probably closer to 3. That is why I am for drilling our own oil to reduce both price and our dependence on foreign oil, especially from Middle-Eastern Countries. We, at the same time, should be pouring money into finding alternative energy for both vehicles and for other power needs. Doing one or the other is foolish, but combining both is necessary and required. We CAN NOT forget our current energy situations, current needs, and future needs for both domestic and military issues.

A sensible approach to the problem.

But if we drill every source of oil, I fear all we'd be doing is putting off the starting to find a real long term solution.

that is essantially what we've been doing for the last thirty years, so I expect that exactly what will happen when this spike in prices problem passes, too.

Awesome logic. Let's ban guns because a person got shot. Let's ban coffee because someone spilled on their lap. Let's ban cars because someone's brakes failed and the died.

Alright you flat-Earth, Luddite mother-fucker, you better start making some god damned energy cuz we're not going back to horse and fucking buggy. If you say renewables can do it, then damn it, I spent 2 years in Missouri, you're gonna have to "Show me" cuz I haven't seen it yet.

We need to start doing something we KNOW will work RIGHT NOW. Nuclear is our current BEST option. Now do something that produces energy or get the fuck out of the way!

Horses and buggies are out, too. Do you have any idea of the extent of trouble cities had with horse manure back before cars became common? Even in my state, in horse farm territory, getting rid of all the manure is a major headache.

Forum List

Back