Gore Wants US to Abandon Fossil Fuels by 2018

This is getting pretty funny. Pretty soon the righties are going to claim they've always loved the French.

:badgrin:

I didn't say they don't. I said we do. Do you think we could teach France and Finland anything about nuclear reactors or do you think they are the heavy weights in this field?

it's been almost 7 years since 9/11 and the freedom tower, supposed to be a sign of american strength, resilience, resolve, a memorial, etc, has hardly had any construction done. look at what the middle east, china, russia, etc have built in that time. you really think we'll have absolutely no problems building many nuclear plants while places like finland are having massive delays, overcosts, lack of labor, etc? take off the red/white/blue glasses

so your source is all subjective. well, three mile island started commercial operation in 74. worked fine for 5 years. since there were no accidents in those first 5 years, there wouldnt be one in the 6th year, right? oops.

dont get me wrong, its great that there havent been any recent accidents. but to declare that it is completely safe now, without a source, isnt true. there will always be risks. should that alone deter us from using it? no. i am against opinions being told as if they were fact.

I never said it was completely safe. I don't know of much that is "completely safe." It is, however, reasonably safe. It's at least as safe as an oil refinery or other heavy industrial plant and probably safer.

Come on Busara, no guts, no glory! Go for the nukes! Enough hand wringing already. We're running 100 already, what's another 10 or 20?

I never said it was completely safe. I don't know of much that is "completely safe." It is, however, reasonably safe. It's at least as safe as an oil refinery or other heavy industrial plant and probably safer.

Come on Busara, no guts, no glory! Go for the nukes! Enough hand wringing already. We're running 100 already, what's another 10 or 20?

my point is it would be extremely difficult and costly to build 1, let alone 20. we can build wind towers and solar plants and further develop ethanol and geothermal with those resources.

Last edited:
it's been almost 7 years since 9/11 and the freedom tower, supposed to be a sign of american strength, resilience, resolve, a memorial, etc, has hardly had any construction done. look at what the middle east, china, russia, etc have built in that time. you really think we'll have absolutely no problems building many nuclear plants while places like finland are having massive delays, overcosts, lack of labor, etc? take off the red/white/blue glasses

Non-sequitur much? Not answering the question? The US have a lack of labor? Really? I thought we had high unemployment? Or maybe that's high unemployment when it's convenient.

You're a big time lover of the absolute huh? Does that really work for you a lot here? People all the time falling for the absolute "Yes, We're the US we are infallible, everything always comes up roses for us." Come on. Have a serious discussion.

You do realize Ethanol released co2 and other bad things when burnt too right.

"bad things." very scientific.

you do realize the plants grown for ethanol absorb C02, right? it would be close to a net 0 of carbon being absorbed and released (with further research, at least). far betting than fossil fuels, which is just release

my point is it would be extremely difficult and costly to build 1, let alone 20. we can build wind towers and solar plants and further develop ethanol and geothermal with those resources.

One problem with that. Nuclear is a PROVEN quantity. We know what we will have before we build it. It is not the sole solution, it is part of a mix. There is plenty of room for solar, wind, hydro, geo-thermal and running in place on a generating mat if you want to.

I don't really think building more plants that burn crap is necessarily the way to go, but if you can get the whole coal sequestration thing to work, I'm listening. But, I put that right there with solar and wind and alternatives that aren't ready to go RIGHT NOW.

Develop them sure, but let's don't sit with our thumb in our collective asses while we wait for those to ready.

"bad things." very scientific.

you do realize the plants grown for ethanol absorb C02, right? it would be close to a net 0 of carbon being absorbed and released (with further research, at least). far betting than fossil fuels, which is just release

I hate to put a damper on the ethanol love fest, but what's the other 80-90% or ethanol? You know the part that didn't used to be a plant?

I have had a nuclear power plant 50 miles from my home for over 30 years.

The only incident was when these Greenpeace monkeys were trying to make a terror attack.
They did not realize that the concrete walls are 8 to 12 feet thick!

Non-sequitur much? Not answering the question? The US have a lack of labor? Really? I thought we had high unemployment? Or maybe that's high unemployment when it's convenient.

You're a big time lover of the absolute huh? Does that really work for you a lot here? People all the time falling for the absolute "Yes, We're the US we are infallible, everything always comes up roses for us." Come on. Have a serious discussion.

are you impared of just stupid? of course it is related. you think all the unemployed can suddenly become nuclear technicians? or that europe has no unemployed and that is causing their labor shortages? why hasnt our unemployed built the freedom tower?do you think that we'll be able to come up with resources far easier than europe? that it will somehow be cheaper for us to build? why not back up what you say with facts, instead of your 'we can teach france about nuclear.' :cuckoo:

Last edited:
I hate to put a damper on the ethanol love fest, but what's the other 80-90% or ethanol? You know the part that didn't used to be a plant?

do you really think ethanol cannot burn without adding gas? you have no idea what youre talking about now

Thanks mom!

By the way, there are 59 nuclear power plants in France. We have 104.

France is in the process of building 20 more. I'll bet if France can build 20, we can build 20. What do you say Busara? You think we can do it if they can or is it still too expensive for us? Not for the juggernaut French economy, but too much for sluggish down-trodden US economy?

do you really think ethanol cannot burn without adding gas? you have no idea what youre talking about now
Producing ethanol is hurting a lot of people. The price of corn and soybeans has rocketed and people are paying through the nose for food because so many big farmers, like ADM, jumped on the ethanol band wagon.

I know what I'm talking about. I may not know what you are talking about. But, if you wanted me to know, you'd tell me.

wow. just, wow.

do i really have to teach you about ethanol? can a regular gasoline engine (non diesel) run off of pure ethanol? no. that is why it is merely an additive in gas. now what about diesel? research what brazil has done. and heres a link for a car that will run on biodiesel and a very small amount of diesel.

Fiat to launch new ethanol/diesel engine in Brazil - AutoblogGreen

our current mix isnt because of ethanol. it is a result of the engines in use, which can easily change within 10 yrs

Forum List

Back