GOP wants to end middle class tax break.

So....you didn't expect the NYTimes to kick you in the solar plexus, huh?

Surprise!

The NYT is a forecast of future benefits. You said that most of the tax cuts "went to" the lower and middle income distributions. That is the past. And that is incorrect.

Top 1% received 15% of the tax cuts. Those making over $1 million received 24% of the tax cuts. Those in the middle 20% received 9% of the tax cuts.

Tax Returns: A Comprehensive Assessment of the Bush Administration's Record on Cutting Taxes — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

While one of the 'rich' would certainly receive more than one of the less than rich...

the Times article clearly points out that the bulk of the Bush tax cuts are not in the group of 'rich.'

The anlysis you use is produced by folks from the Kennedy School and the Woodrow Wilson School.
So...which source is more Left-wing...Center on Budget and Policy Priorities or NYTimes?

I do not criticize studies that come from the American Enterprise Institute or the Heritage Foundation simply because of the source. Those are reputable organizations despite their ideological leanings, as is the CBPP. The analyses of the distribution of tax cut benefits comes from multiple sources. The NYT references forecasted future benefits. If you have another source that has analyzed the distribution of past benefits from the Bush tax cuts, please post it because I would like to see it. But projected costs do not approximate past benefits.

GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block - Yahoo! News

They are now becoming brazen. They are not even trying to hide their efforts to screw the middle class and pad the pockets of the rich. The come up with lame excuses. Then the FOX sheep buy everything, hook, line, and sinker.

How can these people keep screwing over middle America, and getting away with it!

But Republican lawmakers haven't always worried about tax cuts increasing the deficit. They led the fight to extend the life of a much bigger tax break: the major 2001 income tax reduction enacted under Bush. It was scheduled to expire at the start of this year. Obama campaigned on a pledge to end the tax break only for the richest Americans, but solid GOP opposition forced him to back down.
So, this will increase the deficit, but the huge tax break given to the wealthy didn't? What a bunch of HYPCRITES!

First, tax cuts do not increase the deficit.

Second, Republicans never argued that the Obama extension of the Bush tax cuts would not increase the deficit. They actually agree with the political talking point that cuts increase the deficit.

Third, this is actually bad fiscal policy. The CBO says that it would be better if the if the employer got the break, or if it went to both of the people who pay it.

Fourth, you are a partisan hack.

All the Bush tax cuts should expire.

And the government should insert another stimulus project.

And create jobs with said stimulus project.

But sadly, none of this will happen.

Two of those might, but the last will never happen. The government cannot create jobs by spending money.

They are now becoming brazen. They are not even trying to hide their efforts to screw the middle class and pad the pockets of the rich. The come up with lame excuses. Then the FOX sheep buy everything, hook, line, and sinker.

How can these people keep screwing over middle America, and getting away with it!

So, this will increase the deficit, but the huge tax break given to the wealthy didn't? What a bunch of HYPCRITES!

"...tax break only for the richest Americans..."

Jimmy....

....did you know that almost all of the Bush tax cuts went to middle and lower income folks?
Did you know that?

And, did you know that President Bush belonged to the G-O-P???

The revenue cost of the tax cuts totals approximately $2.2 trillion over the 2001–2010 period. ...

The tax cuts have disproportionately benefited high-income taxpayers. ...

Nearly two-thirds of the tax cuts will go to the top quintile of taxpayers in 2010 and only 1 percent will go to the lowest quintile.
The Bush Tax Cuts — Who Benefited | The Blue States

bush%20class%20warfare%20chart-small.JPG

Bush economic policies are triggering dangerous economic and social polarization : Dangerous Intersection

Am I supposed to be upset that people making over $90,000 a year got a bigger tax break than people earning less than $20,000?

Doesn't look quite as distorted when you use numbers rather than percentages does it?

"...tax break only for the richest Americans..."

Jimmy....

....did you know that almost all of the Bush tax cuts went to middle and lower income folks?
Did you know that?

And, did you know that President Bush belonged to the G-O-P???

Liar. 52% when to the top.

Top what?

Business pays 6.2% and the worker pays 6.2%. Under Obama's payroll tax plan, workers only paid 4.2%.
Workers pay the full tax, whatever it is. If business owners pay 6.2%, they will pay their workers less to cover the costs.

But the rate is capped at around 105,000, meaning only 6.2% on 105,000. That means the rich pay almost nothing relative to their income. But for the middle class, how many make over 105,000? No one? Few? Very few?

It's another attack on the Middle Class by the Republican leadership. And what the fuck is wrong with their base. Either they are masochists or stupid. Because you can bet all these USMB Republicans are NOT rich. Believe it.
What destroys the middle class is big government spending and higher taxes on the middle class to fund it. The middle class pays for welfare and corporate bailouts. We get screwed at both ends.

See, now, Jimmy....every time I make you eat your words.....

.....I get the giggles!

And can't stop.....oh....oh...oh....

OK, here goes:

So, who got the benefit of the ‘Bush Tax Cuts’?
Was it the wealthy?

Well, the NYTimes inadvertently answered that question….in the negative
Almost all of the Bush Tax Cuts went other than to the wealthy!

Yup! That would be 82% went to those making under the $250,000 cut-off they keep talking about.

Check this out:

“LET THE BUSH CUTS EXPIRE Mr. Obama vowed to let the high-end tax cuts (for people making more than $250,00) expire in 2010. But in a preview of the debt fight, he agreed to extend the cuts for two more years when Republicans held unemployment benefits and other measures hostage.

Letting all of the cuts expire at the end of 2012 would save $3.8 trillion over the next decade. Letting the tax cuts expire for those making more than $250,000 would save $700 billion. That would make a real dent in the $2.4 trillion in total deficit reduction envisioned in the debt limit deal.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/07/opinion/sunday/the-truth-about-taxes.html

Now, get some help here, Jimmy, 'cause this requires some math...

If ALL of the Bush Tax Cuts were eliminated, the government would get $3.8 trillion over the decade.

But “Letting the tax cuts expire for those making more than $250,000 would…” provide $700 billion!

That is only 18% of the total provided by the Bush Tax Cuts!! So 82% of the money must have been given to folks making $250,000 or less!

Q.E.D.! The Bush Tax Cuts went to the middle class.
Thank you, NYTimes, for ‘splainin’ that to Jimmy!!!

Uh oh! Here come those giggles...

You must know how to play twister the way you twist those "facts" around. For one, this is an "editorial". Even the timing is not clear. The 3.8 trillion is over a decade. Who knows how the long the 700 billion is for.

What you did was look for something that you thought backed up your lie and ran with it. You have to do better than that.

The same decade.

Don't let facts get in your way though.

:lol:

Keep fuckin' that chicken, dude.

Why do some people have trouble with this concept?

There is only one way to increase the deficit, that is to spend more money than you get in revenue. If your revenue exceeds your spending the deficit will go down, even if you cut taxes, or increase spending, or even do both, to get there.

But Republican lawmakers haven't always worried about tax cuts increasing the deficit. They led the fight to extend the life of a much bigger tax break: the major 2001 income tax reduction enacted under Bush. It was scheduled to expire at the start of this year. Obama campaigned on a pledge to end the tax break only for the richest Americans, but solid GOP opposition forced him to back down.

The GOP isn't hypocritical.

They openly acknowledge that they don't give a damn about the working classes.

That's been their stance my entire lifetime.

There is only one way to increase the deficit, that is to spend more money than you get in revenue. If your revenue exceeds your spending the deficit will go down, even if you cut taxes, or increase spending, or even do both, to get there.

Yes, I understand your way of looking at it.

It's retarded.

Firstly, we already have a thread on this.

Secondly, as I pointed out the first time..... the thread title is an out and out lie. Or perhaps there is an inability on the left to understand the difference between the words 'may' and 'will'. The article says 'may' and that should give anyone with an IQ over room temperature a little warning bell in their heads.... when journalists say 'may', it means "we're pretty much making shit up".

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups.

I'm not commenting on the efficacy of the tax cuts, nor whether or not the majority of the tax cuts should have gone to the wealthiest. I'm merely commenting on PC's assertion that most of the tax cuts went to the lower and middle classes. That is incorrect.

If one wishes to have a debate on whether or not it was the right thing to do, that's fine. But if we are going to have an honest debate, we must first get the facts straight. PC is an honest poster, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume it was an honest mistake. But the majority of the tax cuts did not go to the lower and middle classes.

Yes, I understand your way of looking at it.

It's retarded.

Ain't it?

But it's fun. I've been using it to cut the Stimulus in half. Since tax cuts are now innocuous then the math says the deficit clearly was much less then reported.

Republican math cuts both ways.. :lol:

The GOP isn't hypocritical.

They openly acknowledge that they don't give a damn about the working classes.

That's been their stance my entire lifetime.

Firstly, there is no 'working class'.

Secondly, learn the difference between 'may' and 'will'. The article is based on bullshit. 'May' is not 'will'. It is partisan bullshit.... oh, wait, you like the partisan bullshit. My bad.

2012 and the Republicans are running on:

-My way or highway government.
-Ending Social Security.
-Raising Taxes on the poor and middle class.
-Ending Medicare.
-Getting rid of regulations.
-Lower taxes for the rich. (Wealth extractors)
-Introducing religion into law.

That should work well.

-Ending Social Security.
-Ending Medicare.

That should work well.

And you wonder why I call you a moron so often.... seriously, if you didn't keep handing me the evidence, I wouldn't keep doing it.

You're an embarrassment to thinking liberals.

-Ending Social Security.
-Ending Medicare.

That should work well.

And you wonder why I call you a moron so often.... seriously, if you didn't keep handing me the evidence, I wouldn't keep doing it.

You're an embarrassment to thinking liberals.

What on his list isn't true?

Am I supposed to be upset that people making over $90,000 a year got a bigger tax break than people earning less than $20,000?

Not necessarily. But that's not what this is about. This is about the distribution of gains from the tax cuts.

Doesn't look quite as distorted when you use numbers rather than percentages does it?

No, because PC said that most of the tax cuts went to the lower and middle classes.

Last edited:
Tax cuts, shmax cuts... the IRS should be abolished altogether for either a fair tax or a flat tax. Instead of having an 80,000 page tax code, it could be ONE.

"A 13% tax shall be levied on all income." There's the tax code.

Forum List

Back