GOP Southern Strategy Rises Again

Who claimed that? The point is the strategy, not the outcome.

And you left out Texas.

Texas isn't part of what's traditionally called the south. Since most of the southern states have democrat majorities, I'd say the "strategy" is someone's fictionalized creation, rather than fact. Why make an issue of federal elections when the Republicans can't even get majorities in the state legislatures?

Are Republicans now getting 10% of the black vote, since the strategy began? Yes.

Did you know Eisenhower got 39% of the black vote in 1956? Probably not.

Did you know Goldwater voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other than his home state of AZ, only won some states in the Old South, aka, the formerly Solid South, as in solidly Democrat?
Do you realize that in the 1950's only about 2% of the blacks in the South were registered to vote. In the South in the 50's you could lose your job, your house, are even be lynched for trying to vote. Most of the black voters both in the South and North were educated and in the middle or upper class. They were certainly not representative of blacks at that time.

The Goldwater and Johnson's run for the presidency was in 1964 which was also the year the Civil Rights act passed which broke the Solid South. It is not surprising that Goldwater would carry a few southern states. His stand on Civil Rights was confusing at best. True, he voted against the 1964 bill, but supported the 1957 and 1960 bill. He was a member of the NAACP but he was also a very strong states right supporter. In other words the Southern votes for Goldwater were a vote for states rights.

Texas isn't part of what's traditionally called the south. Since most of the southern states have democrat majorities, I'd say the "strategy" is someone's fictionalized creation, rather than fact. Why make an issue of federal elections when the Republicans can't even get majorities in the state legislatures?

Are Republicans now getting 10% of the black vote, since the strategy began? Yes.

Did you know Goldwater voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other than his home state of AZ, only won some states in the Old South, aka, the formerly Solid South, as in solidly Democrat?
Do you realize that in the 1950's only about 2% of the blacks in the South were registered to vote. In the South in the 50's you could lose your job, your house, are even be lynched for trying to vote. Most of the black voters both in the South and North were educated and in the middle or upper class. They were certainly not representative of blacks at that time.

The Goldwater and Johnson's run for the presidency was in 1964 which was also the year the Civil Rights act passed which broke the Solid South. It is not surprising that Goldwater would carry a few southern states. His stand on Civil Rights was confusing at best. True, he voted against the 1964 bill, but supported the 1957 and 1960 bill. He was a member of the NAACP but he was also a very strong states right supporter. In other words the Southern votes for Goldwater were a vote for states rights.

So Goldwater valued state's rights over black American's rights. Why do so many rightwing nuts think that's a brilliant defense?

In other words the Southern votes for Goldwater were a vote for states rights.

So...you're saying that all those Southern Democrats that voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 weren't racists trying to preserve segregation either?

Or are you saying that, yes, all those Southern DEMOCRATS who voted against WERE racists, but Goldwater,

because he was a Republican (and in fact a conservative icon) HE voted against it only because of his divinely inspired devotion to the sacred concept of state's rights...

eh?

So Goldwater valued state's rights over black American's rights. Why do so many rightwing nuts think that's a brilliant defense?

I have never defended Goldwater on this issue. I do understood his vote and his reasons although I don't agree with them. I thought it was a cop out on the issue. Same cop out that many took both sides of the aisle.

The key point with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was that Republicans sponsored the bill, Senator Dirksen wrote most of it and drove this bill and got it passed.

One more time Republicans standing up for the civil rights of men.

***A quick side note on Goldwater. Although many conservatives do admire Goldwater on his stance on States rights, I always wonder how many know about his and his wifes devotion to Margaret Sanger and Planned Parenthood. And that they were personal friends.

I sometimes wonder if it would alter their admiration for the man. He was by far a Libertarian on any political scale. Interesting man.

While the Kennedy administration was ignoring its campaign pledges, the Republican minority in Congress introduced several bills to protect the constitutional rights of African-Americans.

In January 1963, congressional Republicans introduced a sweeping civil rights bill to enact what Democrat opposition had prevented from being included in the 1957 and 1960 laws.

Threatened by this initiative, the president finally acted. Hastily drafted in a single one-nighter, the Kennedy bill fell well short of what the GOP had introduced the month before.

Many Democrats were preparing a protracted Senate filibuster of this civil rights bill, which was in a committee of the House of Representatives when John Kennedy was murdered in November 1963.

The 1964 Civil Rights Act was an update of Charles Sumner’s 1875 Civil Rights Act. In striking down that law in 1883, the Supreme Court had ruled that the 14th Amendment was insufficient constitutional authorization, so the 1964 Civil Rights Act had to be written in such a way as to rely on the interstate commerce clause for its constitutional underpinning

The 1964 Act guaranteed equal access to public facilities and banned racial discrimination by any entity receiving federal funding, thereby extending coverage to most every hospital, school and government contractor.

Also banned was racial discrimination in unions and in companies with more than twenty-five employees. Enforcement provisions were much more rigorous than those of the 1957 and 1960 Acts.

Republicans supported the 1964 Civil Rights Act much more than did the Democrats. Contrary to Democrat myth, Everett Dirksen (R-IL), the Senate Minority Leader – not President Lyndon Johnson – was the person most responsible for its passage.

Mindful of how Democrat opposition had forced Republicans to weaken their 1957 and 1960 Civil Rights Acts, President Johnson promised Republicans that he would publicly credit the GOP for its strong support.

Johnson played no role in the legislative fight. In the House of Representatives, the 1964 Civil Rights Act passed with 80% support from Republicans but only 63% support from Democrats.

In the Senate, Dirksen had no trouble rounding up the votes of most Republicans, and former presidential candidate Richard Nixon lobbied hard for passage

On the Democrat side, the Senate leadership did support the bill, while thechief opponents were Senators Sam Ervin (D-NC), Al Gore (D-TN) and Robert Byrd (D-WV). Senator Byrd, whom Democrats still call “the conscience of the Senate,” filibustered against the 1964 Civil Rights Act for fourteen straight hours

At a meeting held in his office, Dirksen modified the bill so it could be passed despite Democrat opposition. He strongly condemned the Democrat-led 57-day filibuster: “The time has come for equality of opportunity in sharing of government, in education, and in employment. It must not be stayed or denied. It is here!”

Along with most other political leaders at the time, Johnson, credited Dirksen for getting the bill passed: “The Attorney General said that you were very helpful and did an excellent job… I’ll see that you get proper attention and credit.”

At the time, for instance, The Chicago Defender, a renowned African-American newspaper, praised Senator Dirksen for leading passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The struggle for civil rights was not finished, however, as most southern states remained under the control of segregationist Democrat governors, such as George Wallace (D-AL), Orval Faubus (D-AR) and Lester Maddox (D-GA).

Full enforcement of the 1964 Civil Rights Act would not arrive until the Republican political ascendancy in the South during the 1980s

From a great article written by Michael Zak. Pretty concise summary of the issues and individuals involved in the passing of the Act of 1964.

More at this link:

Republican Roots of the 1964 Civil Rights Act - Big Government

I'd say Texas has a rich Southern Tradition as a good part of it's founders arrived from Southern States and that The Lone Star State threw in with Richmond durng The War Between the States

As a Southerner myself I'm begining to notice a development amongst some of my rural kin, friends and neighbors. They've given up on the two failing political parties and are starting to look after their own. A lot of those fellows up in the hills will pop-off at either blues or reds. Guess they're a bit jaded or maybe even a little ticked.

On various boards I've noticed a high count of Libertarians posting from Texas. Most interesting.

Many are saying that they will vote for Perry only to keep the Dem from winning. Pity because Glass looks like an excellent candidate but they know they have to stop White
from becoming Governor to keep Texas from becoming a sanctuary state.

And Rasmussen is showing Texas as solid GOP.

But after this election I dare say all bets will be up in the air for the future. You have a very strong Libertarian and Tea Party movement in your state.

Oh I'm no Texican, nor am I with the Libertarian or Tea Party.

In other words the Southern votes for Goldwater were a vote for states rights.

So...you're saying that all those Southern Democrats that voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 weren't racists trying to preserve segregation either?

Or are you saying that, yes, all those Southern DEMOCRATS who voted against WERE racists, but Goldwater,

because he was a Republican (and in fact a conservative icon) HE voted against it only because of his divinely inspired devotion to the sacred concept of state's rights...

eh?
I believe Goldwater viewed states rights as being much more important than civil rights. His support for civil rights were lukewarm at best, but no so with states rights. Some southern Democrats saw his stand on states rights as support for their cause. Others saw his membership in the NAACP and support for previous Civil Rights bills as a negative.

upon passage of the civil rights act, lyndon johnson commenting to bill moyers said, "i think we just delivered the south to the republican party for a long time to come.” it appears he was absolutely correct. In the 44 years since the civil rights act, the south has voted for republican presidential candidates 77% of time. Had it not been for the increased registration of black voters in the south and favorite sons, cartier and clinton, the vote would surely have been close to 100% republican.

In the 44 years prior to the civil rights act, the south voted for republicans presidential candidates 11% of the time.

To say that race is not a major reason for republican dominance in the south is just not so. If you can find a klan member in the south, you no doubt have found a republican vote.
solid south - wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

considering the democrats created the kkk, that's a very interesting viewpoint you have.

And if you want to think south and kkk, you should pause and reflect on the life and times of senator kkk byrd.

how many of those democrats who created the kkk are still alive, tinydancer? And if they were, how many of them would support the modern democrat party?

considering the democrats created the kkk, that's a very interesting viewpoint you have.

And if you want to think south and kkk, you should pause and reflect on the life and times of senator kkk byrd.

how many of those democrats who created the kkk are still alive, tinydancer? And if they were, how many of them would support the modern democrat party?

In fact, the only openly racist candidates for political office this year are Republicans - N.Y. GOP candidate exposed as racist - War Room - Salon.com
And while not all Republicans are racist, I think it's true 99% of racists are Conservatives. From Rand Paul to this guy outta NY, they oppose parts of the Civil Rights Act, forward racial emails, say racist things, to Angle's "you don't look asian" comment, etc, etc, this years batch of GOP Candidates are saying and doing racist things.. But getting away with it. :eusa_eh:

In fact, the only openly racist candidates for political office this year are Republicans - N.Y. GOP candidate exposed as racist - War Room - Salon.com

And while not all Republicans are racist, I think it's true 99% of racists are Conservatives. From Rand Paul to this guy outta NY, they oppose parts of the Civil Rights Act, forward racial emails, say racist things, to Angle's "you don't look asian" comment, etc, etc, this years batch of GOP Candidates are saying and doing racist things.. But getting away with it.

Holy toledo!

99% of all racists are Conservatives ? Have you got some statistics to prove that?

Wow, just wow. Are you taking your kool aid intravenously?

Let's take Harry Reid.

“I don’t know how anyone of Hispanic heritage could be a Republican.”

Old Harry saying why he could accept Obama.

Obama was a “light-skinned” African American “with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one,”

And trust me, I have a lot of liberal racist quotes in my arsenal. They are really easy to google.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back