GOP Senator Celebrates His Vote Against Gay Marriage By Attending Son's Gay Marriage

I never said it did. Hence it being my opinion. And your opinion relying on the 14th amendment being sound is just that an opinion. One I dont personally agree with.

The furtherest anyone would have to travel is the local library to get married.

For the internet connection.
How about no, mind your business.

In Obergefell that court was ruling on state law issues…not a federal law. State laws can’t violated the US Constitution
And I would argue they didnt. There's nothing in the Constitution about marriage. So an individual state's definition of isn't in the purview of the Federal Government. I know people dont like that they cant get some dictatorial ruling from on high to get what they want but that's our system. Governments make mistakes. Under a federalist system those mistakes are mitigated by the fact that most of them will be made at the state level vs the federal level and thus affect fewer people.

If you want to argue that states that passed marriage laws defining it as 1 man and 1 woman made a mistake, that's fine, we can have that discussion but it's a different discussion than should the Federal Government decide whether or not it was a mistake.

And I would argue they didnt. There's nothing in the Constitution about marriage. So an individual state's definition of isn't in the purview of the Federal Government. I know people dont like that they cant get some dictatorial ruling from on high to get what they want but that's our system. Governments make mistakes. Under a federalist system those mistakes are mitigated by the fact that most of them will be made at the state level vs the federal level and thus affect fewer people.

If you want to argue that states that passed marriage laws defining it as 1 man and 1 woman made a mistake, that's fine, we can have that discussion but it's a different discussion than should the Federal Government decide whether or not it was a mistake.
there is something about equal protection of the law

and the court has long held that people have a fundemantla right to marriage.

so if people have a fundemental right, states can’t make laws that aren’t applied equally to citizens

so if people have a fundemental right, states can’t make laws that aren’t applied equally to citizens

It's not just the right to marry. It's the benefits the federal government metes out to married couples.

Who gets to define what marriage is? Is it the states or the federal government?

It's not just the right to marry. It's the benefits the federal government metes out to married couples.
Sure that's another issue. But again who gets to decide what a marriage is? Is it the Federal Government or the State? If it's the Fed you're going to have to show where in the Constitution they are granted that power.

Sure that's another issue. But again who gets to decide what a marriage is? Is it the Federal Government or the State? If it's the Fed you're going to have to show where in the Constitution they are granted that power.

Equal protection.

huh? you have an issue with that? the federal govt is free to do that

with that said that is not what the case was decided on, it was state laws that were at issue not federal ones

Equal protection.
If the state has defined an activity as X and everyone is allowed to participate in that activity within the bounds of that definition then everyone is equally participating. Because you dont get to participate in the way you want to because it's outside the definition of that activity as defined by the state doesnt mean they are discriminating against you.

Forum List

Back