GOP Rep. Barton Apologizes to BP

I love the way conservatives can't decide if Obama DID force BP to setup the escrow account (ie "did Obama really have to bully them"), or if he DID NOT force BP to setup the escrow account (ie "projecting more power and authority than he has").

One moment, Obama bullied BP into doing something they didn't want to do. The next, BP was happy to agree because they were going to pay all along anyway (Now watch the bs artist argue that Obama bullied BP into doing something BP wanted to do)

First Obama was too weak. Now he's a "bully". Wonder what he'll be next? I mean, "what's left"?

Coming soon - Obama's a weak bully because he caved into the demands of those people whose lives have been destroyed by BP

He's pandering!!!

To the american people!!

I would hope that he would try managing for once. I'm tired of his campaign speeches and the dog and pony shows.

Sure fellow, and nobody bullied Exxon, and the people that were hurt by that spill got pennies on the dollar, many years after the spill. The President used his bully pulpit for the benefit of the people on the Gulf. Good for him.

Tough shit for you people that don't care who gets hurt, as long as he is seen as a failure.

There is a reason that he is seen as a failure, roxie. :eusa_whistle:

He's right. It was a shakedown. Once again obie wan has circumvented the law. US law states BP's liability is no greater than 75 million dollars.

OK, we'll raise your taxes first for the gubmint to clean up BP's mess.

we're going to have to do it. rest assured, BP will be forced into bankruptcy and you'll be left holding the broom.. count on it.

So for the record, you actually are in favor of big gubmint taking care of us? :eusa_whistle:

The bottom line is no other president ever would have gotten this amount of money from BP. Congress wouldn't have gotten it. The courts wouldn't have gotten it.

20 billion with no cap?

On Wednesday, the Obama administration revealed that Feinberg would take charge of a $20 billion escrow fund to compensate people and businesses harmed by the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Years ago the Washington lawyer was tapped to chair the government's compensation fund for victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Then he doled out money to victims of the Virginia Tech shootings.

And just last year he was again enlisted by the government to crack down on executive pay at companies that received huge federal bailouts in the wake of the financial crisis.

BP Gulf Oil Spill: Ken Feinberg Appointed Head of Escrow Fund - ABC News

Ever wonder how much individuals, and businesses, and the government will get if BP files for bankruptcy?

He's right. It was a shakedown. Once again obie wan has circumvented the law. US law states BP's liability is no greater than 75 million dollars.

Unlike you I've actually read the law:

(c) Limits on Liability-

(1) GENERAL RULE- The total of the liability of a responsible party under subsection (a) and any removal costs incurred by, or on behalf of, the responsible party with respect to each incident shall not exceed--

(A) $500 per gross ton or $5,000,000, whichever is greater (but not to exceed $60,000,000), for any tanker;

(B) $300 per gross ton or $500,000, whichever is greater, for any other vessel; or

(C) $75,000,000 for any facility.

(2) Exceptions-

(A) PROXIMATE CAUSE- Paragraph (1) does not apply if the incident was proximately caused by--

(i) willful misconduct or gross negligence within the privity or knowledge of the responsible party; or

(ii) a violation, within the privity or knowledge of the responsible party, of applicable Federal safety, construction, or operating regulations.

See how easy that was?

what was?

Proving that you can't read, Flounder.

I love the way conservatives can't decide if Obama DID force BP to setup the escrow account (ie "did Obama really have to bully them"), or if he DID NOT force BP to setup the escrow account (ie "projecting more power and authority than he has").

One moment, Obama bullied BP into doing something they didn't want to do. The next, BP was happy to agree because they were going to pay all along anyway (Now watch the bs artist argue that Obama bullied BP into doing something BP wanted to do)

First Obama was too weak. Now he's a "bully". Wonder what he'll be next? I mean, "what's left"?
One wonders. Cons were never consistent.

Yeah keep focusing on that, PJ. :cuckoo:

Sure fellow, and nobody bullied Exxon, and the people that were hurt by that spill got pennies on the dollar, many years after the spill. The President used his bully pulpit for the benefit of the people on the Gulf. Good for him.

Tough shit for you people that don't care who gets hurt, as long as he is seen as a failure.

he's not...

i'd say more, but i like you. :tongue:

For some months now anything coming from Joe Barton hasn't hit me with any surprise:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=symYfq51aho&feature=geosearch]YouTube - Sec. Chu Explains Plate Tectonics To Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX)[/ame]

Rep. Barton just attempted to "clarify" his statement. Apparently the GOP jumped all over his ass.
and yet you used your magic Rdean blanket and tried to make it seem like ALL fucking Republicans MUST be like this...."gee will the southern states not vote Republican because of this?"....it was one fucking guy Junky....most people can see this....why cant you and your boyfriend Rdean?

A lot of the opposition to Obama is simply because he is Obama. It is irrational and unfounded. He negotiates a $20 billion fund to ensure the residents of the gulf coast can collect on damages and you complain. If he had asked congress for a tax increas to cover the cost of the clean, you'd complain. But you've convinced yourself that you're opposing him on policy. Yeah, right........

no....its because he is black....why else....

The bottom line is no other president ever would have gotten this amount of money from BP. Congress wouldn't have gotten it. The courts wouldn't have gotten it.

20 billion with no cap?

On Wednesday, the Obama administration revealed that Feinberg would take charge of a $20 billion escrow fund to compensate people and businesses harmed by the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Years ago the Washington lawyer was tapped to chair the government's compensation fund for victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Then he doled out money to victims of the Virginia Tech shootings.

And just last year he was again enlisted by the government to crack down on executive pay at companies that received huge federal bailouts in the wake of the financial crisis.

He hasn't gotten it either. it's to be paid in 5 billion dollar increments, they'll be bankrupt long before it's paid. and we are left with the bill and 20,000 more unemployed. man what a victory.

One wonders. Cons were never consistent.

very consistent. being a bully is a sure sign of weakness.

20 billion with no cap?

He hasn't gotten it either. it's to be paid in 5 billion dollar increments, they'll be bankrupt long before it's paid. and we are left with the bill and 20,000 more unemployed. man what a victory.

First, the wingnuts couldn't decide if Obama bullied BP, or if BP was going to pay anyway.

Now the wingnut can't decide if BP is going to pay, or if they'll go bankrupt and not pay

Cons are consistent...consistent liars

we're going to have to do it. rest assured, BP will be forced into bankruptcy and you'll be left holding the broom.. count on it.

So for the record, you actually are in favor of big gubmint taking care of us? :eusa_whistle:

so for the record what are you talking about?

I'll use small words in the hopes you understand

Do you want the govt to clean up and pay for the mess, or should BP cleanup and pay for the mess?

can anyone explain to me what law obama ignored (essentially broke, assuming obama is completely responsible for getting BP to agree to 20B) in having BP agree to 20B

again, i think obama gets some of the credit, not all the credit like his fawning worshipers want to give him

he's not...

i'd say more, but i like you. :tongue:

I like you too, Jillian. But it is a matter of opinion....and I too could say more.

Forum List

Back