GOP Rep. Barton Apologizes to BP

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Political Junky, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,543
    Another Corporatist Republican steps in it.

GOP Rep. Barton: 'I Apologize' To BP For 'Tragedy' Of Obama Admin's '$20 Billion Shakedown' (VIDEO) | TPMDC

GOP Rep. Barton: 'I Apologize' To BP For 'Tragedy' Of Obama Admin's '$20 Billion Shakedown' (VIDEO)
    Eric Kleefeld | June 17, 2010, 10:47AM

In the House Energy and Commerce subcommittee hearing today on the BP oil spill, Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) said something very remarkable: Amidst a committee slamming BP all around, he apologized to the company for the $20 billion escrow account that the Obama administration asked them to create for paying out damages in the case.

"I think it is a tragedy of the first proportion that a private corporation can be subjected to what I would characterize as a shakedown, in this case a $20 billion shakedown," Barton said.
    <more>
    "Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power."
    Benito Mussolini

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,779
    He's right. It was a shakedown. Once again obie wan has circumvented the law. US law states BP's liability is no greater than 75 million dollars.

3. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,827
    What an asshole!

4. sangha

sangha Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +179
    So sue Obama. GO ahead. I dare you

And I dare your conservative fakers in Congress, who I bet are too chickenshit to do anything but whine

5. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,543
    I wonder is Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida will vote republican in 2010 and 2012.

6. WillowTree

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,779
    we'll see won't we?

7. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    If I were him I would not have directed the apology at BP, I would have apologized to the American people on Obama's Behalf. For Obama once again acting like he is a king not a president, and can Order anyone to cough up 20 billion dollars with out first having them found liable in a court of law.

Don't get me wrong I want BP to pay, but I also want a president who respects the Law and constitution, and is not constantly abusing his power, and basically behaving like a bully.

8. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,889
    What a fucktard.

I thought BP did that out of the goodness of their heart, btw. Obama has no power to make them do it.

9. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    Hmm well it was the Obama admin that gave the deep water horizon a safety award, and it was the Obama admin that has dropped the ball on the reaction to the spill. It was Liberals and Democrats who have forced companies like BP to drill in 5000 feet of water instead of 500 and then tried to tell us all it because were running out of oil, when in fact it is because the government will not permit them to drill shallower. It was obama who reacted by shutting down deep water drilling in the gulf and putting 10's of thousands in the area out of work. It was Obama who didn't answer calls for weeks and failed to even Meet BP for 8 weeks.

You really think these deep south states are going to vote Democrat over this?

You people really do live in a dream word.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  10. WillowTree

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,779
    "I do not want to live in a country where any time a citizen or a corporation does something that is legitimately wrong is subject to some sort of political pressure," the 13-term congressman said. "ThatÂ…amounts to a shakedown. So I apologize."

Demonize Demonize Demonize.. the good congressman see it as does the rest of the world, demonize and destroy. that's obie wan's ticket.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2