GOP leaders to skip Selma event

Conservative icon Strom Thurmond said at the time that the Voting Rights Act would result in

'a totalitarian State in which there will be despotism and tyranny.'

gee, conservative rhetoric hasn't changed much has it?

When Freedom Would Triumph The Civil Rights Struggle in Congress 1954-1968 - Robert Mann - Google Books

and what did KKK Byrd (D) have to say about it? How about Bull Connor and Huey Long?

which party fillibustered the civil rights act? hint-------not the GOP.

Party doesn't matter. Conservatives didn't want the Voting Rights Act.

They believed it violated states rights. Do you?

Ah yes a moment of stunned silence from the usually loquacious Redfish.

He can't admit he's a statesrightser, just like those conservative racist Democrats were back in those days.

It's funny to watch people pretend that the fundamental political realignment of southern states had nothing to do with the Civil Rights Act.

Sure it did. It also had to do with the fact that the Democratic Party abandoned much of its conservative platform and embraced a less religious and more Marxist economic view that is not compatible with southern voters. It's funny to watch people pretend the fundamental political realignment of southern states had nothing to do with those factors either.

Oh I see, it was more about Marxism than racism.

How the South Became Republican: It’s About Race

The South has now shifted from being the conservative Democratic stronghold to a Republican base and southern politicians bring the baggage of excessively conservative social and greedy irresponsible economic policies into the Republican fold. Interestingly, it was the Republican Abraham Lincoln’s presidential elections in 1860 and 1864 and the Democrat Lyndon Johnson’s election to the White House a century later in 1964 that rallied the Southern politicians to enforce their conservative and segregationist stronghold. Race has always been at the core of Southern politics and the South has always closed ranks against any efforts for equality. This, in spite of the fact that it was a "white" Democratic southern politician, Lyndon Johnson, who passed the most important civil rights legislation in the country’s history.

The following are excerpts of the Monday, December 6, 2004 interview with "white" southern writer and dissenter John Egerton. A recent contributor to the book Where We Stand: Voices of Southern Dissent (2004), Egerton was winner of the Lillian Smith Award in 1984 for Generations: An American Family. Other books include The Americanization of Dixie: The Southernization of America and Speak Now Against the Day: The Generation Before the Civil Rights Movement in the South. He lives in Nashville, Tennessee.

More: How the South Became Republican: It's About Race - CounterPunch

There is no doubt that the South flip-flopped and is now a Republican stronghold.

why don't you move to Russia; one part rule there. You'd love it, commie.

Why don't you move out of your mom's house, plenty of freedom there. You'd love it.

Golly gee, why do I sense so much hostility from my NaziCon friends on the right?
Obama is beginning to look like one of those people who runs out and jumps in front of the parade, and then turns it into the gutter.

Did you just coin that little jewel all by yourself? I'm going to have to write that one down for later, that's a real keeper.
I only take credit for the lousy posts. But I did not read it anywhere if that is what you are asking.

Don't be modest, you deserve full credit.

It's funny to watch people pretend that the fundamental political realignment of southern states had nothing to do with the Civil Rights Act.
It's funny that you can't prove that it was. It should be easy since we'd have a record of Democrats becoming Republicans. Some did but there was no migration shift, the Republicans were much more business friendly (like now) and the Republican party grew as the Democrats shrank.

I have one:

List of United States presidential election results by state - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Pick any southern state you want, in fact, quite easily, you can start with Alabama right at the top.

The chart clearly shows when Alabamans abandoned the Democratic Party and began voting Republican...

...right around the time of desegregation, civil rights, voting rights...for blacks.

I think people in this country are just honestly beginning to hate each other. Someone pass me a friggin' flag on a stick.

It's funny that you can't prove that it was. It should be easy since we'd have a record of Democrats becoming Republicans. Some did but there was no migration shift, the Republicans were much more business friendly (like now) and the Republican party grew as the Democrats shrank.

Another completely unsubstantiated theory of demographics.

Golly gee, why do I sense so much hostility from my NaziCon friends on the right?
Obama is beginning to look like one of those people who runs out and jumps in front of the parade, and then turns it into the gutter.

Did you just coin that little jewel all by yourself? I'm going to have to write that one down for later, that's a real keeper.
I only take credit for the lousy posts. But I did not read it anywhere if that is what you are asking.

Don't be modest, you deserve full credit.
I talk to God. Have a nice day. :biggrin:

I think people in this country are just honestly beginning to hate each other. Someone pass me a friggin' flag on a stick.

No, not honestly at all. The news media provides us with the illusion that politicians and pundits argue about anything that actually matters. Focus on the shiny object while the people in power make decisions you'll never know about.

No, not honestly at all. The news media provides us with the illusion that politicians and pundits argue about anything that actually matters. Focus on the shiny object while the people in power make decisions you'll never know about.
Such as? I have watch a far amount of c-span and know they do not get alone very often. Less so over the last ten years our so.

Fox News is providing "some" live Selma coverage - probably only because George and Laura Bush are sitting beside the Obamas.

Last edited:
I have one:

List of United States presidential election results by state - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Pick any southern state you want, in fact, quite easily, you can start with Alabama right at the top.

The chart clearly shows when Alabamans abandoned the Democratic Party and began voting Republican...

...right around the time of desegregation, civil rights, voting rights...for blacks.
If you have wikipedia you don't have shit. It's open sourced. I looked anyway and it just lists when states voted D or R and I can't see past the 1880s on my screen.

You don't understand the challenge, the claim was that Democrats became Republicans. We need evidence of the migration, not when parties took over a region. Plus Republicans did vote for civil rights, you're confused (as usual).

Using your silly logic the US turned Republican last November.

Once again.. the Dems scramble to say "See? Look at us, we care!" all the while they continue to trap minorities in generational poverty...

Yes because when I see resident republicans Shootspeeders and WelfareQueen being racist, it's that they REALLY care about black people. LOL

I have one:

If you have wikipedia you don't have shit. It's open sourced. I looked anyway and it just lists when states voted D or R and I can't see past the 1880s on my screen.

You don't understand the challenge, the claim was that Democrats became Republicans. We need evidence of the migration, not when parties took over a region. Plus Republicans did vote for civil rights, you're confused (as usual).

Using your silly logic the US turned Republican last November.

It's not silly logic, it is fact. Once the Civil Rights act was passed, the South went deep red. Only an idiot would ignore it.

It's not silly logic, it is fact. Once the Civil Rights act was passed, the South went deep red. Only an idiot would ignore it.
Only an idiot would think so since Republicans did and do support it. Sorry that reality doesn't fit into your little dank intolerant hate filled universe.

Everything the Dems do is designed to increase racial tensions. I would avoid it, too, because people will get nasty if they see non-liberals there. I'm sure race-baiter supreme, Al Sharpton, will be on hand to incite some anger.

Obama couldn't even join an international march against terrorism. Don't bother trying to pick on people for this one.

We all know that Dems voted against equal rights for minorities and all the spinning in the world won't change history. Look it up and then shut up about old Dems being today's Repubs. It isn't true and never will be.

To this day, Dems like to keep blacks in check by luring them under their wing for a permanent life of dependency and pretending to protect them from the achievers. All they have to do is vote for you so you can take power from the people and give it to government. What liberals offer people is the opposite of true freedom, so nothing has changed with Dems. They like people dependent, ignorant and angry and they are damn good at making them that way.

If you respect people, you don't tell them that they cannot succeed without your help in subsidizing them and lowering standards because they are hapless victims who are entitled to reparations. You do that with people you want to control and that is exactly what far left pukes seek to do.

Last edited:
‘They’ve lost an opportunity to show the American people that they care,’ one black lawmaker says.

Scores of U.S. lawmakers are converging on tiny Selma, Alabama, for a large commemoration of a civil rights anniversary. But their ranks don’t include a single member of House Republican leadership — a point that isn’t lost on congressional black leaders.

None of the top leaders — House Speaker John Boehner, Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy or Majority Whip Steve Scalise, who was once thought likely to attend to atone for reports that he once spoke before a white supremacist group — will be in Selma for the three-day event that commemorates the 1965 march and the violence that protesters faced at the hands of white police officers. A number of rank-and-file Republicans have been aggressively lobbying their colleagues to attend, and several black lawmakers concurred.

“It is very disappointing that not a single Republican leader sees the value in participating in this 50th commemoration of the signing of the Voting Rights Act. I had hoped that some of the leadership would attend, but apparently none of them will,” said Congressional Black Caucus Chairman G.K. Butterfield of North Carolina. “The Republicans always talk about trying to change their brand and be more appealing to minority folks and be in touch with the interests of African-Americans. This is very disappointing.”

Former CBC Chair Marsha Fudge (D-Ohio) agreed.

“Not only do they have an opportunity to participate in something that is historic in this country, but certainly they’ve lost an opportunity to show the American people that they care,” she said. “Their loss.”​

More: GOP leaders to skip Selma event - Anna Palmer and Lauren French - POLITICO

So, the new GOP is the same as the old GOP. Not surprised.

Bush, Obama confirmed for Selma event March 7
635604565896430693-GWBUSH.jpg

Bush and his wife, Laura, will join a large, bipartisan congressional delegation for part of a three-day civil rights pilgrimage to Alabama, according to Robert Traynham, a spokesman for the Faith and Politics Institute in Washington, which is organizing the event.

Obama and Bush will be on stage together to commemorate Bloody Sunday, when Alabama state troopers assaulted marchers on March 7, 1965 as they tried to cross the Edmund Pettus Bridge on their way to Montgomery to protest the lack of voting rights for African-Americans. The event shocked the nation and helped win passage of the Voting Rights Act just a few months later.

Bush Obama confirmed for Selma event March 7
Finally, one GOP Congressman said he would go .. pitiful.

Everything the Dems do is designed to increase racial tensions. I would avoid it, too, because people will get nasty if they see non-liberals there. I'm sure race-baiter supreme, Al Sharpton, will be on hand to incite some anger.

Obama couldn't even join an international march against terrorism. Don't bother trying to pick on people for this one.

So it was democrats that made the Ferguson police send racist emails? They didn't create the racial tension, it was already there.

Forum List

Back