GOP Argument Against Extended Unemployment Benefits is Misguided

I am going non-partisan here. I hear the Republican arguments against extending unemployment benefits and they cry foul. They state it allows people to rely an an entitlement instead of looking for work. Others just claim the US can't afford it. Both are erroneous arguments.

In Feb I was laid-off in Feb. Ten loyal years at the company, great performance reviews, but after 10 years someone at the top of corporate need to meet a bottom line and eliminated my position. I received a huge severance package and was able to find a new job in about a month and a half at a nice pay increase. 80% of my severance package has gone into my savings, so my personal story ends well.

But I digress. I have never been on unemployment and I was SHOCKED, by how little it pays. I figured out quickly it's a safenet for essentials and not one for someone keep up their life-style on. When I applied for unemployment, I received the max allowable amount and I got extra for my 4 kids. The total amount was well less than HALF what I made and it obviously didn't include healthcare (my former employer's severance package paid for 3 months of COBRA for me).

I found out quick that it only paid for essentials when someone was at their lowest point and it was not intended to pay for extras or keep up one's life-style. If anything it provides HUGE incentive to seek out new employment. It gives a strong sense of urgency.

The we can't afford it argument is illogical. Unemployment is expensive, but affordable. We need to cut other places not it.

It's a losing argument.

What makes this so much worse is the GOP hypocrisy. Republicans are responsible for mass amounts of corporate welfare that costs tax payers billions a a year yet they say we can't afford to provide benefits to the unemployed.

Republicans are complete scumbags.

I am going non-partisan here. I hear the Republican arguments against extending unemployment benefits and they cry foul. They state it allows people to rely an an entitlement instead of looking for work. Others just claim the US can't afford it. Both are erroneous arguments.

In Feb I was laid-off in Feb. Ten loyal years at the company, great performance reviews, but after 10 years someone at the top of corporate need to meet a bottom line and eliminated my position. I received a huge severance package and was able to find a new job in about a month and a half at a nice pay increase. 80% of my severance package has gone into my savings, so my personal story ends well.

But I digress. I have never been on unemployment and I was SHOCKED, by how little it pays. I figured out quickly it's a safenet for essentials and not one for someone keep up their life-style on. When I applied for unemployment, I received the max allowable amount and I got extra for my 4 kids. The total amount was well less than HALF what I made and it obviously didn't include healthcare (my former employer's severance package paid for 3 months of COBRA for me).

I found out quick that it only paid for essentials when someone was at their lowest point and it was not intended to pay for extras or keep up one's life-style. If anything it provides HUGE incentive to seek out new employment. It gives a strong sense of urgency.

The we can't afford it argument is illogical. Unemployment is expensive, but affordable. We need to cut other places not it.

It's a losing argument.

We need to cut a lot of stuff, but after someone is on welfare for 99 weeks, I really cannot see justifing a 100th week as SPENDING THAT MAKES SENSE.

You're not taking enough credit for yourself: you worked 10 years to achieve a station at your employment so that you DESERVED your severence package when whatever happened that caused management to eliminate the job. You might have PLANNED a day when you would need extra money.

Both of these personal actions are called "being and adult."

Those that choose to perform poorly, or choose to be poorly trained, or choose lower income employment opportunities, or choose to not save must rely on the nanny state. Many of these are what we call "Europeans."

I choose not to support the social strata that requires 100+ weeks to regain employment.
Wing-nut math is quite "fuzzy!"

The Dems want to extend the present 26 weeks by 13 weeks. To the Right 26 + 13 = 100+ weeks.
:cuckoo:

What the fuck are you babbling about? Where did I add 26 + 13 = 100?

Idiot. Maybe you should learn to read.

We need to cut a lot of stuff, but after someone is on welfare for 99 weeks, I really cannot see justifing a 100th week as SPENDING THAT MAKES SENSE.

You're not taking enough credit for yourself: you worked 10 years to achieve a station at your employment so that you DESERVED your severence package when whatever happened that caused management to eliminate the job. You might have PLANNED a day when you would need extra money.

Both of these personal actions are called "being and adult."

Those that choose to perform poorly, or choose to be poorly trained, or choose lower income employment opportunities, or choose to not save must rely on the nanny state. Many of these are what we call "Europeans."

I choose not to support the social strata that requires 100+ weeks to regain employment.

The Dems want to extend the present 26 weeks by 13 weeks. To the Right 26 + 13 = 100+ weeks.

This is a thread about extending unemployment benefits and you bitched about extending a 100th week. Learn to read your own posts before you parrot your MessiahRushie.

This is a thread about extending unemployment benefits and you bitched about extending a 100th week. Learn to read your own posts before you parrot your MessiahRushie.

So I did not mention adding 13 + 26 = 100.

You did.

Try to keep up.

Taxes,regulations,health care costs,minimum wage,cap and tax...
How much money do you guys think small to mid size companies have just lying around.
MOST that I know of are barely surviving...and having to make dire decisions on letting people go...or folding their tent entirely.

That's the plan and they have no intention of turning this around. A good economy and thriving businesses is very bad if the goal is to dismantle a capitalist country.

Oh, yes. The companies are in their "wait and see mode". The same "wait and see" mode that they were in even before the idea of Obamacare was conceived.

Just face it. Rich people have sucked up the majority of the world's money for their own and left the rest of us bickering over the scraps, and they have their vast media empires to tell you to blame other poor people. How much money do you have? A couple hundred thousand? You're poor. Get it? Your nest egg doesn't mean shit to the owners of this country. They blow that much on a wristwatch.

You are right.

Companies have been in wait & see mode ever since Obama was nominated.

All one has to do is look at what Obama has done to see their position was a smart one.

So I did not mention adding 13 + 26 = 100.

You did.

Try to keep up.
You said 100th week and you said 100+ weeks and I highlighted them so even you couldn't miss them. This is a thread on the current extension being debated in Congress which has nothing to do with 100 weeks.
Do keep up!

Oh, yes. The companies are in their "wait and see mode". The same "wait and see" mode that they were in even before the idea of Obamacare was conceived.

Just face it. Rich people have sucked up the majority of the world's money for their own and left the rest of us bickering over the scraps, and they have their vast media empires to tell you to blame other poor people. How much money do you have? A couple hundred thousand? You're poor. Get it? Your nest egg doesn't mean shit to the owners of this country. They blow that much on a wristwatch.

You are right.

All one has to do is look at what Obama has done to see their position was a smart one.
What has Obama done? 95% of economic gains went to the richest 1% since the recession started. The banks that caused the recession got public funds to stay in business. The 1% haven't been hurt at all. AT ALL. They have actually benefited to the tune of 95% of financial gains since 2009.
https://www.google.com/search?q=95%25+financial+gains+1%25&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

So explain how Obama's Marxist Sharia policies are so terrible for the richest people in America.

Taxes,regulations,health care costs,minimum wage,cap and tax...
How much money do you guys think small to mid size companies have just lying around.
MOST that I know of are barely surviving...and having to make dire decisions on letting people go...or folding their tent entirely.

That small difference in wage can most companies pay. And if you cannot pay tax, you've failed as a business.

I'm back to the same question I have asked many times before on this subject how long should they be extended? You can't provide government assistance to people indefinitely there has to be a cutoff date.

You are right.

What has Obama done? 95% of economic gains went to the richest 1% since the recession started. The banks that caused the recession got public funds to stay in business. The 1% haven't been hurt at all. AT ALL. They have actually benefited to the tune of 95% of financial gains since 2009.
https://www.google.com/search?q=95%25+financial+gains+1%25&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

So explain how Obama's Marxist Sharia policies are so terrible for the richest people in America.

Waaaaaa waaaaaaa waaaaaaa someone has more money than me, waaaa waaaaa waaaa

That's how you LOSERS sound

Get a grip
Get a job
Get a fucking life

You are right.

Get a grip
Get a job
Get a fucking life

"All one has to do is look at what Obama has done to see their position was a smart one."

Please explain what Obama has done to threaten the fortunes of the super-rich if they've made 95% of the financial gains since Obama took office.

Get a grip
Get a job
Get a fucking life

"All one has to do is look at what Obama has done to see their position was a smart one."

Please explain what Obama has done to threaten the fortunes of the super-rich if they've made 95% of the financial gains since Obama took office.

You made up the 95% stat not me. I've run my business for several decades and contrary to liberal belief I've been able to make a living despite those dastardly 1% ers.

Do the uber rich make more money? Sure
Do I whine about it like a loser liberal? No
Do I give a fuck like a loser liberal? No

YOU are responsible for YOUR life. YOUR circumstances are a product of YOUR making, not the rich.

I didn't make it up. I gave you a link to a google page with numerous other links all reporting that statistic. The 1% have made 95% of economic gains since Obama took office. Look:

"YOU are responsible for your life"? Are you fucking kidding? We don't get weapons contracts. We don't get cheap labor overseas. We don't write the fucking laws. We don't get bailouts.

Your assertion that "you're responsible only for yourself" stops at the doorsteps of the mansions of the super-rich. They aren't responsible for their actions. They're "too big to fail". They put us all in this mess, YOU included. YOUR money went to THEIR bailouts. You're fine with that but not with providing food stamps to the employees who are getting shafted by their multi-billion dollar employers.

I didn't make it up. I gave you a link to a google page with numerous other links all reporting that statistic. The 1% have made 95% of economic gains since Obama took office. Look:

"YOU are responsible for your life"? Are you fucking kidding? We don't get weapons contracts. We don't get cheap labor overseas. We don't write the fucking laws. We don't get bailouts.

Your assertion that "you're responsible only for yourself" stops at the doorsteps of the mansions of the super-rich. They aren't responsible for their actions. They're "too big to fail". They put us all in this mess, YOU included. YOUR money went to THEIR bailouts. You're fine with that but not with providing food stamps to the employees who are getting shafted by their multi-billion dollar employers.

So perhaps you should be bitching at Obama instead of random strangers on the internet dumbass

So perhaps you should be bitching at Obama instead of random strangers on the internet dumbass
Says the business owner who spends his business hours bitching about Obama to random strangers on the internet. Good Republican logic.

Obama doesn't run the economy. The economy is much greater than one person, President or otherwise. The problem is not one person. It is a handful of individuals who have more wealth than most people can comprehend. The richest 100 people on Earth have as much wealth as the poorest half of the world population. The entire corporate system has been designed to consolidate wealth and power to as few hands as possible, and they have a global media network to tell the masses to blame everyone on Earth except for the old money families who have designed the system.

I'm back to the same question I have asked many times before on this subject how long should they be extended? You can't provide government assistance to people indefinitely there has to be a cutoff date.

Tie it to the unemployment rate.

And......yes.....we can extend assistance for as long as needed. All of it gets pumped right back into the economy....supporting local businesses for the most part.

Think.

Says the business owner who spends his business hours bitching about Obama to random strangers on the internet. Good Republican logic.

Obama doesn't run the economy. The economy is much greater than one person, President or otherwise. The problem is not one person. It is a handful of individuals who have more wealth than most people can comprehend. The richest 100 people on Earth have as much wealth as the poorest half of the world population. The entire corporate system has been designed to consolidate wealth and power to as few hands as possible, and they have a global media network to tell the masses to blame everyone on Earth except for the old money families who have designed the system.

I sold 2 20k remodels today WHILE bitching about liberals. What did you accomplish idiot?

You cons are so thick. Liberals don't have a problem a CEO making 50x more money than a low level worker. That isn't the point. We don't have a problem with the idea of wealth inequality in itself. What we are against is 1% of the top earners controlling 40% of the nation's wealth. That is a the problem. The enormous actual gap is staggering and mind blowing. The lower classes productivity has sky rocketed since the 70s yet wages have remained flat. That. is. wrong.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back