GOP adds $1.5 trillion to the deficit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Votto, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Votto

Votto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,914
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Votto

Votto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,914
    So where does all those trillions of dollars go? It goes to the welfare state and the military, which is sort of a welfare program for the rest of the Western nations who let the US protect them instead of protecting themselves.

Lincoln warned us against the use of unrestrained warfare via the Executive branch The US Congress has not declared war since WW2 yet they seem to have been continually at war since

"The provision of the Constitution giving the war making power to Congress was dictated, as I understand it, by the following reasons: kings had always been involving and impoverishing their people in wars, pretending generally, if not always, that the good of the people was the object. This our convention understood to be the most oppressive of all kingly oppressions, and they resolved to so frame the Constitution that no one man should hold the power of bringing this oppression upon us."

And Madison, who was the father of the Constitution and the general welfare clause, warned us against the nanny state by saying:

"If Congress can employ money indefinitely to the general welfare, and are the sole and supreme judges of the general welfare, they may take the care of religion into their own hands; they may appoint teachers in every state, county and parish and pay them out of their public treasury; they may take into their own hands the education of children, establishing in like manner schools throughout the Union; they may assume the provision of the poor; they may undertake the regulation of all roads other than post-roads; in short, every thing, from the highest object of state legislation down to the most minute object of police, would be thrown under the power of Congress.......Were the power of Congress to be established in the latitude contended for, it would subvert the very foundations and transmute the very nature of limited government established by the people of America"

And as we see, both military expansion and the expansion of the welfare state are said to be done for our own good. Although not a Founding Father, C. S. Lewis once warned us about what was to come as if a prophet from God by saying:

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons that under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's own will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals"

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  3. Votto

Votto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,914
    So at what point is there too much debt?

As Ayn Rand once said, "People are not embracing collectivism because they have accepted bad economics,. They are embracing bad economics because they have embraced collectivism."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,585
    There won't be too much debt until people are ACTUALLY starving and fighting for hand me downs from our great leaders.

5. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,634
    The Myth about Ayn Rand and Social Security

She did receive Social Security.

6. whitehall

whitehall Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,438
    How come nobody talked about the deficit for the eight long....long... years of the Obama administration? The DOW was relatively stagnant for the entire Hussein administration while Barry funded doomed corporations like Solyndra just before they went under. Thanks to President Trump and the Republican party the 401k's of hypocrite lefties are solvent and the DOW seems to hit record territory every day. Is it too much to ask of ignorant hypocrite lefties to admit that a thriving economy translates to real deficit reduction?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. Old Yeller

Old Yeller Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,417
    Only $1.5T over 10 years? They added about 10X that over the last 10 years.
    If $1.5T over ten years is all they add??? I would insert a dancing man from my free Verizon Android tablet after this latest "summer of recovery". Correct: first budget I can remeber since 2009?

Oh well, games are on. Bread and circus' 4 me.:dance:

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 2
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  8. MPS777

MPS777 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15
    >>>How come nobody talked about the deficit for the eight long....long... years of the Obama administration?

Many many people did. I did. I sure hope you did. Did you? If you talked about it then it means SOMEBODY did; why would you make such an absurd claim?

>>>The DOW was relatively stagnant

The DOW was actually not relatively stagnant, but the national economy as a whole was.

>>>Is it too much to ask of ignorant hypocrite lefties to admit that a thriving economy translates to real deficit reduction?

Do you suppose we need more than just deficit reduction? How about debt reduction, that’s something I’d like to see. A 1 trillion dollar deficit reducing to 900 billion means little to me. And if you complained about the debt/deficit under Obama, but don’t think it’s a problem now under Trump, then I think you’re part of the problem.

>>>Only $1.5T over 10 years? They added about 10X that over the last 10 years.
    If $1.5T over ten years is all they add???

No, I believe that’s 1.5 trillion on top of the 10 trillion we’re projected to add to the debt over the next 10 years.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Kosh

Kosh Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,765
  10. MPS777

MPS777 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm not sure if it's just ABC, here's the analysis I've read on it:
    The FY 2018 Senate Budget and Budget Gimmicks

Here are some excerpts from the article:
    "CBO's June projection that debt will rise to 91 percent GDP by 2027"

Well that "June projection" is a doosey, it predicts nearly 10 trillion added to the debt by 2027 if we follow current law. The article continues to summarize this new budget:
    "While the budget shows real deficit reduction relative to current law, it facilitates large deficit increases through $1.499 trillion of net deficit-increasing reconciliation instructions. If these instructions were followed, debt would rise to 97 percent GDP by 2027 and unified deficits would reach $1.66 trillion (5.9 percent of GDP)"

So the senate has gone and written a budget that if interpreted by the spin doctors just right, appears to lower that deficit baseline, however then they go in and add some reconciliation instructions, which blast away all those deficit reductions :facepalm:

I don't know, I don't trust congress. They always assume things like there wont be any recessions or wars and that GDP growth will always hit their rosey predictions. Rand Paul has voted against this because of similar concerns. I think we can do much better.

• Informative Informative x 2