Google: Pressure Cooker + Backpack=Police Visit

georgephillip

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2009
Los Angeles, California
Last Wedesday (July 31 2013) a Long Island family was visited by "six gentlemen in casual clothes" from their local PD asking if the family "had any bombs" in their home.

Why, you might ask?

Because Michelle Catalano had Googled pressure cookers at about the same time her husband had gone online shopping for a backpack.

Good thing they don't live in Boston.

"As the police officers casually searched the home--looking on bookshelves, peaking in the kitchen--they asked the husband numerous questions. As Catalano recounts it:

"'Where is he from? Where are his parents from? They asked about me, where was I, where do I work, where do my parents live. Do you have any bombs, they asked. Do you own a pressure cooker? My husband said no, but we have a rice cooker. Can you make a bomb with that? My husband said no, my wife uses it to make quinoa. What the hell is quinoa, they asked.'"

Yes, They Are Watching: Online Search for Pressure Cooker Sparks Chilling Police Visit | Common Dreams

Americans: Don't know a thing bout the 1st, 4th or 5th Amendments.

Gov't Thug: "Sir, can I talk to you for a minute?"

You: "Am I under Arrest?"

Thug: "I just wanna' talk about you Browsing Habits".

You: "Am I being Detained or am I Free to Go?"

Thug: "Just like to talk to you for a minute. Can I look in your Back Pack?"

You: "I don't Consent to Searches. Am I free to go?"

See, a Freedom Loving American would protect his/her Constitutional Rights by asserting them.

A Slave who is Afraid of the Government would allow the search.

"A slave who is afraid of the government would allow the search"

It's hard to improve on that sentiment.
Anyone allowing such a search is spitting in the face of the millions of Americans who've died defending our Rights.

How do they know what her browsing history is?

As we have learned from Hero Edward Snowden, it's Xkeyscore, data mining by the government.

"A slave who is afraid of the government would allow the search"

It's hard to improve on that sentiment.
Anyone allowing such a search is spitting in the face of the millions of Americans who've died defending our Rights.

Agreed--they were abetting a criminal act.

1. wait...i thought liberals said the government isn't doing this

2. should not let in house without a warrant

How do they know what her browsing history is?

As we have learned from Hero Edward Snowden, it's Xkeyscore, data mining by the government.

Google wants to plant a chip in your brain.
What happens then???

TINFOIL !!! WOOT

THAT'S what that stuff is for !

"Google introduced a search chip that can be implanted into human brains.

"On Wednesday, the search giant, Google, introduced the Google Brain Chip. This is a chip that users can implant in their brain that will search the internet the moment you think of something. The chip has the power to find information even before a user knows he or she wants the information.

“'It’s psychic,' said Stig Hansson, a senior hardware engineer at Google."

Consider the source:

GOOGLE INTRODUCES BRAIN CHIP | Weekly World News

Apparently it was a former employer that alerted the police

Employer Tipped Off Police To Pressure Cooker And Backpack Searches, Not Google | TechCrunch

Suffolk County Criminal Intelligence Detectives received a tip from a Bay Shore based computer company regarding suspicious computer searches conducted by a recently released employee. The former employee’s computer searches took place on this employee’s workplace computer. On that computer, the employee searched the terms “pressure cooker bombs” and “backpacks.”

After interviewing the company representatives, Suffolk County Police Detectives visited the subject’s home to ask about the suspicious internet searches. The incident was investigated by Suffolk County Police Department’s Criminal Intelligence Detectives and was determined to be non-criminal in nature.

Any further inquiries regarding this matter should be directed to the Suffolk County Police Department

Sorry
-Party Pooper

I own two pressure cookers which I bought back in the 60s, one for cooking, and a much larger one for canning. The one for canning holds 16 quarts of water at least. I haven't canned in years, but I'm getting the bug again now that I have retired. I'm trying so hard to resist. One time I quadrupled my chili recipe in the large canner for the band to sell at a winter guard festival. They made a LOT of money off that chili.

I also have several backpacks. I use them when I fly. I put in my purse, one change of clothes and underwear in case my bag doesn't make it where I'm going, my stitching, and one cassette change of medication. I never put it up in the storage bins, I keep in on the floor under my seat or under my feet. I have never simultaneously carried my pressure cookers and my backpacks.

I hope the guy who knocks on my door is cute. I really don't care for ugly men.

Last edited:

Employer Tipped Off Police To Pressure Cooker And Backpack Searches, Not Google | TechCrunch

Suffolk County Criminal Intelligence Detectives received a tip from a Bay Shore based computer company regarding suspicious computer searches conducted by a recently released employee. The former employee’s computer searches took place on this employee’s workplace computer. On that computer, the employee searched the terms “pressure cooker bombs” and “backpacks.”

After interviewing the company representatives, Suffolk County Police Detectives visited the subject’s home to ask about the suspicious internet searches. The incident was investigated by Suffolk County Police Department’s Criminal Intelligence Detectives and was determined to be non-criminal in nature.

Any further inquiries regarding this matter should be directed to the Suffolk County Police Department

Sorry
-Party Pooper

That makes no sense and is an obvious blatant lie. The employee wasn't searching for pressure cookers, it was his wife Two separate people, two separate searches unless the woman came to her husband's workplace just to look up pressure cookers on his work computer. Pressure cooker bombs is just what the average housewife looks up when she wants to buy a new cooking appliance.

They had to find a plausible explanation and this is what the government came up with.

That makes no sense and is an obvious blatant lie. The employee wasn't searching for pressure cookers, it was his wife Two separate people, two separate searches unless the woman came to her husband's workplace just to look up pressure cookers on his work computer. Pressure cooker bombs is just what the average housewife looks up when she wants to buy a new cooking appliance.
Gotcha, if anything is introduced into the thread that is a wet blanket on your preconceptions it is just a blatant lie. It is entirely impossible that the guy was looking that up out of curiosity after the Boston incident, nah it has to be another government coverup.

Sorry dude, sometimes things just aren't exciting and full of coverups and conspiracies. Perhaps most of the time even.

Sorry
-Party Pooper

Would LIKE this to be true.. But it doesn't jive with the interviews that the wife gave ADMITTING to the searches..

My bet is --- you will get MORE of this police state deflection.. Until there's a point that "coincidence" and "excuses" just don't fly anymore..

So much for the old "I haven't got anything to hide" argument eh??

Can someone confirm for me that this is not the ONLY investigation conducted on Google search hits in the past week? I can't confirm a source that says there were 2 others..

Gotcha, if anything is introduced into the thread that is a wet blanket on your preconceptions it is just a blatant lie. It is entirely impossible that the guy was looking that up out of curiosity after the Boston incident, nah it has to be another government coverup.

Sorry dude, sometimes things just aren't exciting and full of coverups and conspiracies. Perhaps most of the time even.

Look up the incident. No one was showing interest in the Boston bombing. The woman was actually looking to get a pressure cooker.

Sorry
-Party Pooper

Michelle Catalano has updated her site also:

"We found out through the Suffolk Police Department that the searches involved also things my husband looked up at his old job. We were not made aware of this at the time of questioning and were led to believe it was solely from searches from within our house.

"I did not lie or make it up. I wrote the piece with the information that was given. What was withheld from us obviously could not be a part of a story I wrote based on what happened yesterday.

"The piece I wrote was the story as we knew it with the information we were told. None of it was fabricated. If you know me, you know I would never do that.

"If it was misleading, just know that my intention was the truth. And that was what I knew as the truth until about ten minutes ago. That there were other circumstances involved was something we all were unaware of."

Online Search for Pressure Cooker Sparks Police Visit | Common Dreams

I own two pressure cookers which I bought back in the 60s, one for cooking, and a much larger one for canning. The one for canning holds 16 quarts of water at least. I haven't canned in years, but I'm getting the bug again now that I have retired. I'm trying so hard to resist. One time I quadrupled my chili recipe in the large canner for the band to sell at a winter guard festival. They made a LOT of money off that chili.

I also have several backpacks. I use them when I fly. I put in my purse, one change of clothes and underwear in case my bag doesn't make it where I'm going, my stitching, and one cassette change of medication. I never put it up in the storage bins, I keep in on the floor under my seat or under my feet. I have never simultaneously carried my pressure cookers and my backpacks.

I hope the guy who knocks on my door is cute. I really don't care for ugly men.

"Catalano, who writes professionally, explained the whole story in her own words on her blog. In way of background, she explained:

"'Most of it was innocent enough. I had researched pressure cookers. My husband was looking for a backpack. And maybe in another time those two things together would have seemed innocuous, but we are in 'these times' now.

"'And in these times, when things like the Boston bombing happen, you spend a lot of time on the internet reading about it and, if you are my exceedingly curious news junkie of a twenty-year-old son, you click a lot of links when you read the myriad of stories.

"'You might just read a CNN piece about how bomb making instructions are readily available on the internet and you will in all probability, if you are that kid, click the link provided.'"

Look up the incident. No one was showing interest in the Boston bombing. The woman was actually looking to get a pressure cooker.
You fail.

There was already a lot of skepticism about her tale before the police press release, and the woman has since backtracked, as seen in this blog post by her:

http://openareas.tumblr.com/post/57110075747/clarification-and-update
We found out through the Suffolk Police Department that the searches involved also things my husband looked up at his old job. We were not made aware of this at the time of questioning and were led to believe it was solely from searches from within our house.

I did not lie or make it up. I wrote the piece with the information that was given. What was withheld from us obviously could not be a part of a story I wrote based on what happened yesterday.

The piece I wrote was the story as we knew it with the information we were told. None of it was fabricated. If you know me, you know I would never do that.

If it was misleading, just know that my intention was the truth. And that was what I knew as the truth until about ten minutes ago. That there were other circumstances involved was something we all were unaware of.

Thank you.
So we have:

1. FBI says they had nothing to do with it and it was the police department.

2. Police department says they got a tip from former employer so they sent detectives.

3. Woman is now saying oops yeah it was searches at husbands work.

There is plenty of real shit to get mad at the government about, put away your tin hat and stop focusing on stuff that is only in your little paranoid brain.

You fail.

There was already a lot of skepticism about her tale before the police press release, and the woman has since backtracked, as seen in this blog post by her:

http://openareas.tumblr.com/post/57110075747/clarification-and-update
We found out through the Suffolk Police Department that the searches involved also things my husband looked up at his old job. We were not made aware of this at the time of questioning and were led to believe it was solely from searches from within our house.

I did not lie or make it up. I wrote the piece with the information that was given. What was withheld from us obviously could not be a part of a story I wrote based on what happened yesterday.

The piece I wrote was the story as we knew it with the information we were told. None of it was fabricated. If you know me, you know I would never do that.

If it was misleading, just know that my intention was the truth. And that was what I knew as the truth until about ten minutes ago. That there were other circumstances involved was something we all were unaware of.

Thank you.
So we have:

1. FBI says they had nothing to do with it and it was the police department.

2. Police department says they got a tip from former employer so they sent detectives.

3. Woman is now saying oops yeah it was searches at husbands work.

There is plenty of real shit to get mad at the government about, put away your tin hat and stop focusing on stuff that is only in your little paranoid brain.

What's the NSA saying?
Think they are lying (again)?

BTW, the "woman" is now saying the police indicated their interest stemmed "from searches from within our house."

Forum List

Back