Google Chrome, and therefore all of it's derivative browsers, drops Windows 7 and 8.1.

I wonder if they just remove support for the systems somehow or block them.
No more upgrades or support for newer plugins etc.
I think I made a thread a couple years ago, at work when moving to a new location we found an old computer running Windows 98. The Firefox that was on it "worked" but practically all websites only partially loaded and had script errors stopping it from loading.
So it will be the same for Chrome. The browser will work, but over time it won't load anything new.
Firefox will probably follow soon. They also planned to drop support in January, but after Chrome made their announcement - they decided to keep support for now.

No browser at all is still better than Edge.

netscape-3.jpg

No more upgrades or support for newer plugins etc.
I think I made a thread a couple years ago, at work when moving to a new location we found an old computer running Windows 98. The Firefox that was on it "worked" but practically all websites only partially loaded and had script errors stopping it from loading.
So it will be the same for Chrome. The browser will work, but over time it won't load anything new.
Firefox will probably follow soon. They also planned to drop support in January, but after Chrome made their announcement - they decided to keep support for now.
There will be problems with certificates, too. Pages won´t load. Maybe, the browser can´t even be installed. I had the problem with XP. I used XP x64, which is based on Server 2003 and shares its updates. So because it is newer, it only has Service Pack 2, while the normal XP got 3 Service Packs. Chrome requires SP3, though and won´t even install. I can install Opera 36 but it won´t load most of the websites. I learned that Chrome simply refuses to install, refuses to work. No technical issue. XP x64/2003 SP2 has the same new features that SP3 on normal XP has and was up to date with security updates. It refused to work because of a number.

Chrome 109 released January 2023 is the last update released that will include the ability to work with Windows 7 - 8.1. Which also means all of the various derivative browsers that use Chrome as the base.

Google Chrome Drops Support for Windows 7, 8.1 in Early 2023
Only about 2.5% PC's running Windows are running 8.1 and lot less are running 7. I would expect most of those would be running Internet Explorer. I was doing a survey a few years ago about who runs older obsolete operating system. Typically they are goverment organizations or companies that run an obsolete application that either does not run on the newer operating systems or for some reason the the organization does not want to upgrade. Users running old obsolete operating systems are a major problem for system software providers. At some point the cost of supporting the old OS system can not justified.

Last edited:
Only about 2.5% PC's running Windows are running 8.1 and lot less are running 7. I would expect most of those would be running Internet Explorer. I was doing a survey a few years ago about who runs older obsolete operating system. Typically they are goverment organizations or companies that run an obsolete application that either does not run on the newer operating systems or for some reason the the organization does not want to upgrade. Users running old obsolete operating systems are a major problem for system software providers. At some point the cost of supporting the old OS system can not justified.
Yeah,,, not so much on "companies using obsolete software" or "just don't want to upgrade".
The problem with Win 10 and above is it's insistence to upgrade with or without your permission. Application servers/embedded systems etc. do not want the operating system to upgrade as, obviously, that can break things.
As well as businesses don't like to spend money for the helluvit. No one wants to replace working computers just so they can have Windows recent OS.

Yeah,,, not so much on "companies using obsolete software" or "just don't want to upgrade".
The problem with Win 10 and above is it's insistence to upgrade with or without your permission. Application servers/embedded systems etc. do not want the operating system to upgrade as, obviously, that can break things.
As well as businesses don't like to spend money for the helluvit. No one wants to replace working computers just so they can have Windows recent OS.
Yes, forcing people to upgrade without their permission is a problem and I hate it. Typically these upgrades have features to attract new users or lock in current users. Often the upgrades changes the way things work under the guise of being easier but for most current users the changes just aren't worth the time it takes to learn and implement them. Changes cost a business money and they need to be worth the cost of leaning and implementing.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back