Gluten WTF?

Concerning stores and their Gluten Free sections. I begged..PLEADED with Ralphs and Vons too, to carry more. Everyone spends so much money at health food stores. I loaf of GF bread is 6.99?? And it is HALF a regular loaf and tastes like shit to boot? Pahlease.
So I emailed and emailed and emailed for almost 6 months and FINALLY..Ralphs here locally answered. They said I was right. They were going to tap into that market of GF foods but with lower prices. That store is FULL of GF foods now...and they have to reorder all the time. They thanked me. And I thanked them right back again!
Nice...HEB here in Austin has a whole section dedicated to it as well. Most of the restaurants here also have a GF menu or have little icons next to their GF dishes. This city is awesome for people on special diets and most places offer GF menu's/ dishes. I eat Thai, Indian, Mexican at restaurants all the time and it's all GF (certain dishes of course) Great dishes too, not bland at all.

All meats, most spices (that aren't mixed), etc are naturally gluten free. Some have wheat in their dressings and whatnot but most don't. And it is great that restaurants are realizing many people have restrictions in what they can eat. We have some here locally that do the same. Did you know that even Dominos has a GF pizza now? I emailed the heck out of them, too, and they finally listened.

Now all I gotta do is get Subway to offer GF bread for their sandwiches. It is a HUGE market and I don't mind paying a tad more for GF bread if it doesn't taste like cardboard. And most does, unless you make it yourself.
The only breadlike stuff I love eating that is GF is GF Bisquick....for my waffles. And Betty Crocker Brownie mix. Oh, and Betty Crocker cake mix. All GF.

It's only since my son started seriously dating someone on a Gluten free diet that I started to even pay attention to this.

I've always been a big carb and pasta eater, but in the last two weeks I went off it cold turkey (ha!) and felt good overall. In fact, my blood sugar level was down about 10%. Last night went to Mom's for dinner had pasta and then cookies for dessert.

This morning I felt like Zombie #7 from The Walking Dead.

I think there may be something to this Gluten thingy after all

Yep, my wife has Celiac and had to go gluten free. Changed her life and made me quit wanting to kill her. LOL One issue with those who go gluten free is that htye "can" develop a sweet tooth which my wife already had. She went thru a 21 day "sugar cleanse" program to wean herself off of all of the sugary stuff that was bad for her too and feels even better. It's basically cutting out high glycemic index foods in favor of low glycemic foods and cooking fresh foods instead of processed crap coming for genetically modified foods. I guess those health nuts were actually on to something all those years ago.

Now all I gotta do is get Subway to offer GF bread for their sandwiches. It is a HUGE market and I don't mind paying a tad more for GF bread if it doesn't taste like cardboard. And most does, unless you make it yourself.
The only breadlike stuff I love eating that is GF is GF Bisquick....for my waffles. And Betty Crocker Brownie mix. Oh, and Betty Crocker cake mix. All GF.

My wife likes the Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix, but doesn't like the white cake. For her, it has an off taste like many GF flours. She does have a bread machine and has been happier making her own GF bread.

Clean natural organic (when available) non gmo foods is the key to longevity. People accept lethargy, aches, pains, disease, etc etc as a part of getting old. It's bs. Getting old doesn't mean your body falls apart and becomes racked with disease and pain. Years and years of poisoning the body with chemicals found in foods leads to a lot of these problems. Keep putting a dropper full of poison into a a pristine lake everyday for 50 + years and watch that lake turn into a cesspool of disease and decay.

Isn't that exactly what getting old is? The body stops working efficiently?

Don't get me wrong, poor diet can certainly hasten that along or cause its own problems, but it's not as though aging won't happen if you 'eat right', or that you'll be completely fit and as strong as you've always been until the day you die. :cool:

Clean natural organic (when available) non gmo foods is the key to longevity. People accept lethargy, aches, pains, disease, etc etc as a part of getting old. It's bs. Getting old doesn't mean your body falls apart and becomes racked with disease and pain. Years and years of poisoning the body with chemicals found in foods leads to a lot of these problems. Keep putting a dropper full of poison into a a pristine lake everyday for 50 + years and watch that lake turn into a cesspool of disease and decay.

Don't get me wrong, poor diet can certainly hasten that along or cause its own problems, but it's not as though aging won't happen if you 'eat right', or that you'll be completely fit and as strong as you've always been until the day you die. :cool:
:) Correct but being hunched over and shuffling around everywhere in your late 70's isn't normal. Jack LeLanne is probably the best example of aging naturally. He just go sick one day and was dead shortly after. He didn't spend the last decades of his life downing bottles and bottles of meds, in and out of hospitals, rotting away in a nursing home essentially having zero quality of life.

:) Correct but being hunched over and shuffling around everywhere in your late 70's isn't normal. Jack LeLanne is probably the best example of aging naturally. He just go sick one day and was dead shortly after. He didn't spend the last decades of his life downing bottles and bottles of meds, in and out of hospitals, rotting away in a nursing home essentially having zero quality of life.

He sure didn't. He was always walking on the beach or window shopping in town or doing something somewhere. He lived in the town next to me...his wife is still there.

I think the lack of quality of life the way you describe is more a matter of improved medicine than it is of just diet. Lelane, I believe, refused to see a doctor when he got sick. Had he done so, he might have lived longer, but the quality of that living might have been in question.

My grandfather lived to 104. He didn't eat any kind of especially 'natural' diet. He was lucid nearly until the end, as well as mobile. Sure, in the last few years his mobility was hampered, but he still walked around on his own, even bowling when he was 100. You see stories about people living over 100 who smoke, eat fried and fatty foods constantly, etc. I think it's probably more a matter of genetics and luck when people are unusually well off at a very old age.

Again, not saying a healthy diet can't improve quality of life, just that it's only one of many factors involved in how we age. :D

Forum List

Back