Gluten WTF?

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
It's only since my son started seriously dating someone on a Gluten free diet that I started to even pay attention to this.

I've always been a big carb and pasta eater, but in the last two weeks I went off it cold turkey (ha!) and felt good overall. In fact, my blood sugar level was down about 10%. Last night went to Mom's for dinner had pasta and then cookies for dessert.

This morning I felt like Zombie #7 from The Walking Dead.

I think there may be something to this Gluten thingy after all

Dude!! I've been on a Gluten Free diet for 5 months now and I can tell you it's like night and day. I'm very athletic and fit and for the longest time my joints would ache (knees, elbows) and my energy levels were never consistant despite eating VERY VERY good.

I attributed the joint pain to heavy lifting and the low energy levels to the high intensity exercise program I'm on. Cut to 5 months later I'm ripped with ZERO joint pain and GREAT energy levels.

Gluten intolerance is a real issue in a lot of American's and it is causing a lot of problems in people. I for one have benefited by dropping all gluten from my diet. I'm never going back....

If you ever need help and/or suggestions hit me up

You’re not gluten-sensitive? Still, your body strains to adjust to it in your system, one way or another. It’s a stressor, and it takes its toll somewhere. You just might not have tipped yet.

what?s with all the gluten intolerances?? let me explain? | Sarah Wilson

I'm going to have to research this to greater depth. I've never even heard of such a thing before and pasta is a staple in our household.

OK, I'm going to test this out too. Maybe there's an excuse for why I'm so lazy :D

I'll isolate the product and then test for a few weeks. I'll make a list of the isolates and post them here. Then I'll post a few weeks later after testing by eating a gluten pasta meal.

Yeah, I've been thinking about doing the gluten-free thing as well. I've heard people claiming big benefits from it.

OK, I'm going to test this out too. Maybe there's an excuse for why I'm so lazy :D

I'll isolate the product and then test for a few weeks. I'll make a list of the isolates and post them here. Then I'll post a few weeks later after testing by eating a gluten pasta meal.

Nice!! Keep us posted

Nice!! Keep us posted
Yeah, I've been thinking about doing the gluten-free thing as well. I've heard people claiming big benefits from it.

Sure thing. I'm pretty lazy but this is too easy not to test. :)

If you're doing a gluten-free diet, you should probably be careful about it. Like many other diets that cut out large amounts of previously eaten foods, you can lose out on vitamins your body needs. Also, gluten free foods are not inherently healthy; you can still eat junk while avoiding gluten. And apparently, there are just a lot of different types/labels for things like wheat, so actually getting things that are gluten free might be a bit difficult.

From the little I've read about it, gluten sensitivity is still a very poorly understood phenomena. I guess it's becoming more accepted as a surprisingly prevalent condition, but even if you cut gluten out of your diet and feel better, it's possible that the gluten wasn't actually the issue, but some other ingredient of gluten-containing food(s) you stop eating.

I've had digestive issues for a long, long time. I inherited a bad digestive system from my grandmother. Unfortunately, I'm also a very picky eater. I don't know how I'd do trying to avoid all the gluten-containing foods. I eat cereal every day, I love crackers to snack on, it would suck! Hopefully there will be a way to test for gluten sensitivity in blood some time soon.

I went on the "Paleo" diet last year to drop weight in preparation for surgery. The Paleo diet is basically meat and green veggies, with limited fruit and carbs. I stopped eating bread, pasta, and cereals altogether. I lost over 60 pounds in a year just by doing that. Feel better too. I think there is something to the gluten thing.

Nice!! Keep us posted

May not be as easy as you think as so many products are made from wheat. Check out the health/organic aisles in the grocery stores or go to a Whole Foods type place for wheat alternative foods. There are many subs for wheat (rice, oat, buckwheat, etc) flour items but you have to make sure to read the labels. My son (special needs, autistic spectrum) was gluten free for about 4 years (this was 10 years ago, before g/f became as mainstream as it is today, not nearly as many options back then). I bake so I researched substitutions and basically made everything for him from scratch. Still make g/f chicken nuggets!

Nice!! Keep us posted

May not be as easy as you think as so many products are made from wheat. Check out the health/organic aisles in the grocery stores or go to a Whole Foods type place for wheat alternative foods. There are many subs for wheat (rice, oat, buckwheat, etc) flour items but you have to make sure to read the labels. My son (special needs, autistic spectrum) was gluten free for about 4 years (this was 10 years ago, before g/f became as mainstream as it is today, not nearly as many options back then). I bake so I researched substitutions and basically made everything for him from scratch. Still make g/f chicken nuggets!

I've just begun the research and it doesn't look all that difficult for me as I'm big on rice as a staple and we've gluten free sections in the large markets here. So, Pasta, breads and cereals are easily covered. I'll move to oatmeal and creamed wheat instead of creamed corn cereals.

I think I just need to find what gluten is in my diet and substitute. That's where I'm at now. It's an interesting study for sure.

I've just begun the research and it doesn't look all that difficult for me as I'm big on rice as a staple and we've gluten free sections in the large markets here. So, Pasta, breads and cereals are easily covered. I'll move to oatmeal and creamed wheat instead of creamed corn cereals.

I think I just need to find what gluten is in my diet and substitute. That's where I'm at now. It's an interesting study for sure.

It might just be easier to eliminate all grains, which would also eliminate horrible anti-nutrients like lectins along with gluten, rather than trying to substitute and so forth.

Lots of times when people give up wheat/gluten they eliminate a lot of processed foods/high sugar foods/foods w/preservatives. They feel better and attribute it to being g/f but it may be from getting rid of the junk/processed stuff moreso than the gluten.

Lots of times when people give up wheat/gluten they eliminate a lot of processed foods/high sugar foods/foods w/preservatives. They feel better and attribute it to being g/f but it may be from getting rid of the junk/processed stuff moreso than the gluten.

No doubt. If you change a bunch of things, then a bunch of variables just mess the mix up.

That's why I'm doing the substitution and using myself as the isolate. :D . The test is simpler this way since I already eat a healthy diet. So, if I just remove gluten containing products from my diet and simply replace them with product that never had gluten, well in a few months I'll know if I feel any different.

That's my thinking at the moment, but I'm still early in the research of the product. Corn threw me for a loop. :)

After finding that I have celiac disease, a whole new world has opened up. Full of tasteless and bland substitutes. I refuse to believe that gluten free means yucky pabulum. Anyone here have any yummy gluten free alternatives?

It's only since my son started seriously dating someone on a Gluten free diet that I started to even pay attention to this.

I've always been a big carb and pasta eater, but in the last two weeks I went off it cold turkey (ha!) and felt good overall. In fact, my blood sugar level was down about 10%. Last night went to Mom's for dinner had pasta and then cookies for dessert.

This morning I felt like Zombie #7 from The Walking Dead.

Gluten is in the mind of the alleged intolerant. Personally I'll take my chances with a nice spicy pizza and a couple of beers.

I do not have celiac disease, but I am gluten intolerant. No doctor told me gluten could be the culprit affecting my body. Google did.
So..I have been gluten free for almost 2 years now. I lost 40 lbs, my bowels work again (chronic diahreah) and I take NOTHING for my rheumatoid arthritis except advils. Is it because I am GF? I think so. I BELIEVE so.

There are many recipes for GF foods, people. Betty Crocker makes the most delish brownies. I love cereal, and Chex Cereal are gluten free. So are doritos chips...except the nacho cheese. Which is fine since my fav is the cool ranch. You can eat all the meat you want..it is naturally GF. Its the noodles/pasta/breads/dry goods you have to watch out for. I eat a LOT of tacos..mostly ground turkey meat, always in a CORN tortilla.

Google GF recipes. Enjoy!!

Forum List

Back