Giving thanks... for capitalism

Capitalism works for those at the very top. They can afford to buy off the politicians to ensure they stay at the top. The chance for great wealth is what we call a "lie"
I'm not at the very top but it has worked for me.

A great little engine but you don't yet the engine steer the car.
Another incoherent one-line post with no discernible connection to the thread.

(yawn)
Capitalism is not for the pitchfolks, which is why you fail to understand it.

Actually, capitalism is for everyone. It's the one system that abhors aristocracy and promises opportunity and the chance for great wealth and success for those willing to work, to risk, and to dream. It's clearly YOU who doesn't understand its nature.
I understand its nature perfectly, which is why I'm a capitalist and know it must be regulated, among other things.
It's the level of regulation you support that means you aren't one.

Capitalism does steer itself. I believe Adam Smith referred to it as "the invisible hand". Conversely, the problem with a centralized system like Communism was always that attempts to "manage" an economy from the top by decree always failed because there was no way to anticipate what an economy would do.
You're a fool for believing in the invisible hand. It's a myth those who really control the economy are only too happy to have you believe, so you'll fight the battle against regulation for them.

Thank you capitalism for giving us life-saving drugs
And give thanks for capitalism's pay-or-die drug prices, too.
Those prices are even more outrageous when you realize they get a lot of their research done for free through the auspices of the NIH and their grants to basic research institutions. The ground work is done for them and YOU paid for it.

A pragmatic approach is always best, it's foolish to adhere blindly to one extreme economic dogma or another. And economic regulatory policy is warranted, necessary, and Constitutional.

Those prices are even more outrageous when you realize they get a lot of their research done for free through the auspices of the NIH and their grants to basic research institutions. The ground work is done for them and YOU paid for it.
Capitalists serve a higher purpose than mere life and death:
"The first item—a page one story in the New York Times—was about the Cystic Fibrosis (CF) Foundation, which fifteen years ago invested $150 million in the biotechnology company Vertex Pharmaceuticals to develop a drug for this serious lung disease.

"On November 19, the Foundation reported a return of $3.3 billion from that investment. Kalydeco, the drug developed with that investment, is taken daily by CF patients (who can afford it) and is priced at $300,000 a year per patient.

"Who can pay that price?"

Rich capitalists, of course.

Crony Capitalism Out of Control CounterPunch Tells the Facts Names the Names

I see no liberals have spoken up to argue against the assertion that an entire nation full of people working mostly for their own good, can (and in fact did) coalesce to form a nation where the good of all is overall increased steadily, day after day, year after year.
But it wouldn't have happened without progressives(liberals) taking the edge off of laissez-faire capitalism. Until then "good of all" wasn't really considered a function of government and those that did have it good did everything they could to keep it to themselves.

Wrong. It would have come faster and better.

You're a fool for believing in the invisible hand. It's a myth those who really control the economy are only too happy to have you believe, so you'll fight the battle against regulation for them.
Let me guess: You hear them under your bed every night. Right?

And you have figures for how much the NIH pays them, vs. how much off their own funds they use for the projects.

Well, no use asking little komradvi for facts. He's too busy making up fibs about those he hates.

Of course, without capitalism, you wouldn't have to worry about how much to pay for lifesaving drugs... because those lifesaving drugs wouldn't exist at any price.

And the liberals would rejoice at how "fair" it all finally was.

Let me guess: You hear them under your bed every night. Right?
You make fun of me about things under my bed, yet you believe in an "invisible hand"?!?! It's not invisible. It's banks that trash the economy, but get bailed out because they're "too big to fail". Meanwhile ordinary people get thrown out of their homes because they can't pay the mortgage after being let go by the bank!

Thank you, god, for capitalism, which has bestowed the publicly held company of Comcast, upon us, without which we would have to hate AT&T more than any other company....

And you have figures for how much the NIH pays them, vs. how much off their own funds they use for the projects.Well, no use asking little komradvi for facts. He's too busy making up fibs about those he hates.
You really don't know what I'm talking about, do you? The NIH sponsors research that anyone can read the results of and use to create their own experiment, device, drug, etc. You paid for that, but we only hear about the millions they spent and the onerous regulations they had to follow from the drug companies.

Capitalism does steer itself. I believe Adam Smith referred to it as "the invisible hand". Conversely, the problem with a centralized system like Communism was always that attempts to "manage" an economy from the top by decree always failed because there was no way to anticipate what an economy would do.

I take it you never got around to taking economics in college, Konradv?

Leftist Myth #23: Any level of regulation is justified because the only alternative is no regulation whatsoever. Yep, those are the choices.

You really don't know what I'm talking about, do you? The NIH sponsors research that anyone can read the results of and use to create their own experiment, device, drug, etc. You paid for that, but we only hear about the millions they spent and the onerous regulations they had to follow from the drug companies.
And you have figures for how much the NIH pays them, vs. how much off their own funds they use for the projects.

Well, no use asking little komradvi for facts. He's too busy making up fibs about those he hates.

Forum List

Back