Give 'em hell Barry!!!!!!

Go ask your grandfather who worked for a WPA program.

:thup:

Actually, that's a fair thing to ask. My grandfather, a lifelong carpenter-turned-general contractor, had lots of problems with the WPA. First was FDR's strict rules on no collective bargaining in federal activities. Second was the federal government's definition of "fair pay." He was not allowed to be paid for more than 30 hours per week (although he regularly worked 50), there were no benefits, and it was rife with corruption.

There's a reason they called it "We Poke Along" for a reason.

Are you saying that this country needs an 8 year long program employing 3 million people to get out of this recession? Are you okay with making them all part time pay for full time obligation? Will you follow FDR's rule on no collective bargaining or union organizing on the project (and no foreman organizers at all)?

for every single story like that there are 100 more from those who were glad the WPA saved them from soup lines. Your grandfather wasn't an island during the aftermath of the depression.

I'm not sure if it's 100 to 1, but your point is valid. So if you want a rehash of the WPA, think of how that's going to work out. The inflation-adjusted wage averaged less than our current minimum wage, there was no OSHA, no EPA, and it was all part time work with no ability to hold any other employment. Is that what you think we need today?

Plenty of people, especially those looking at being kicked off of unemployment, would work full time for part time pay if it meant moving the economy along.

Give me an exemption and send them my way. I'll even hire union people if all I have to pay is $900 per month.

I would bet on that horse long before starving the fucking entire barn.

Go find me 20 people willing to work 30 hours a week for $208 and get me an exemption so that all I have to pay is that. I'll even comply with OSHA and the EPA (none of which were around in FDR's time). No need to have the federal government pay for it, I'll pay it myself. I'll even commit 90% of the profits to the workers.

Does this sound like a good plan to you?

Yeah everyone loved FDR. That's why they immediately passed the 22 amendment upon his death to prevent anyone from ever being in power as long as he was.

I didn't say "everyone". However, FDR was elected for the terms he had in office. Term limits for the Presidency doesn't belay that fact. Apparently, enough DID love him to elect him again and again.

Or he was just able to moblize enough voters to keep supporting him.

Yea, I know... he was probably a SITH LORD using his JEDI MIND TRICKS on the nation!!!

:rolleyes:

the shit you people have to think in order to feel politically righteous is a punchline that never ends.

tumblr_lbj5puhxwA1qck2c6o1_500.jpg

I sat there and listened to him talk about all infrastructures that needed repair, and was thinking to myself.... I THOUGHT WE PASSED 2 STIMULUSESESES ALREADY TO DO THAT!

Then he compared us to China.. and all the jobs they are doing there, all along his policies are sending our jobs there!

and again, unemployment benefits dont stimulate the economy! Jobs do...!

This guys is an idiot!!!!!!

Go fucking figure, huh.

See above comment.

Yup.

These would be the bipartisan solutions Obama promoted tonight? The ones the GOP were not asked or allowed to contribute to? THOSE bipartisan solutions?

yes. and, if you think that this bill won't be debated in congress and the gop won't get a chance for input well... I guess Obama will have to go ahead and miss the vote that you wouldn't have given him in the first place.

:cool:

They can't exactly debate a bill that hasn't been written.

Do you think it won't be written and promptly debated in congress? Seriously, at what point do you refuse to step foot into farcical?

Actually, that's a fair thing to ask. My grandfather, a lifelong carpenter-turned-general contractor, had lots of problems with the WPA. First was FDR's strict rules on no collective bargaining in federal activities. Second was the federal government's definition of "fair pay." He was not allowed to be paid for more than 30 hours per week (although he regularly worked 50), there were no benefits, and it was rife with corruption.

Are you saying that this country needs an 8 year long program employing 3 million people to get out of this recession? Are you okay with making them all part time pay for full time obligation? Will you follow FDR's rule on no collective bargaining or union organizing on the project (and no foreman organizers at all)?
You're supposed to forget about all of that and just genuflect at the altar of FDR, heathen! :lol:

YEA! who needs to preserve an effort for the MASSES when one asshole, who I'm betting was never forced into working with the WPA, is clearly the center of the UNIVERSE!!

party of "fuck you", indeed.

True, he wasn't forced. He always had the option of starving. But when his project building apartments was sold to the city and became a WPA project, his previous pay of $45 per month got cut to $30 per month.

These would be the bipartisan solutions Obama promoted tonight? The ones the GOP were not asked or allowed to contribute to? THOSE bipartisan solutions?

yes. and, if you think that this bill won't be debated in congress and the gop won't get a chance for input well... I guess Obama will have to go ahead and miss the vote that you wouldn't have given him in the first place.

But Obama said we have to pass this bill now! He must already have it all written and ready to submit... right?

We won't know what's in it until we pass it, huh?

Oh surprise and shock. We gots us a stimulus plan. Who does it help? State and local government workers. Government bailing out government at taxpayer expense. Road jobs that can't start until next year.

Take a brief moment and let the fact we had a $1.5 trillion dollar stimulus plan that they could only find $750 billion in projects. Now we all of a sudden have $300 Billion in projects all shovel ready.

Extend unemployment AGAIN? If you must, then cap the benefit to half what they were getting. Seriously, no one has kept up house payments and other living expenses on unemployment benefits alone for over two years. These people have jobs and employers are paying them off the radar.

Wonder what the CBO calculations are going to be on the deficit and social security when more payroll tax cuts emerge?

The theme was comical as well. Do it now! Reminded me of we have to pass it to know what's in it. Let's just hunker down for a few more months and get rid of the dead weight in DC.

CBO: No Recession, But Growth So Slow Jobless Rate To Top 8% Until 2014

The Congressional Budget Office, in its midyear update of its budget and economic forecast, says it “expects that the recovery will continue,” meaning it doesn’t foresee a recession, but it says that slow growth will keep GDP well below the economy’s potential for several years. On the basis of economic data available through early July – which means it doesn’t reflect more recent gloomy date – CBO projects that inflation-adjusted GDP will increase by only 2.3% this year and by 2.7% next year.

Under current law, it says, federal tax and spending policies will impose substantial restraint on the economy in 2013, so CBO projects that economic growth will slow that year before picking up later to average 3.6% per year from 2013 through 2016. The U.S. economy won’t be operating at potential – meaning that labor and capital are fully employed – until 2017, CBO projects.

Obama already knows this stuff. We saw more smoke, lasers, and mirrors... SOSDD.

They can't exactly debate a bill that hasn't been written.

Do you think it won't be written and promptly debated in congress? Seriously, at what point do you refuse to step foot into farcical?

No. I dont think Obama will write a thing. he will expect Pelosi and Reid to do the heavy lifting. And then when this bill fails he will blame Republicans or those two, whichever is more convenient at the time.

for every single story like that there are 100 more from those who were glad the WPA saved them from soup lines. Your grandfather wasn't an island during the aftermath of the depression.

I'm not sure if it's 100 to 1, but your point is valid. So if you want a rehash of the WPA, think of how that's going to work out. The inflation-adjusted wage averaged less than our current minimum wage, there was no OSHA, no EPA, and it was all part time work with no ability to hold any other employment. Is that what you think we need today?

Plenty of people, especially those looking at being kicked off of unemployment, would work full time for part time pay if it meant moving the economy along.

Give me an exemption and send them my way. I'll even hire union people if all I have to pay is $900 per month.

I would bet on that horse long before starving the fucking entire barn.

Go find me 20 people willing to work 30 hours a week for $208 and get me an exemption so that all I have to pay is that. I'll even comply with OSHA and the EPA (none of which were around in FDR's time). No need to have the federal government pay for it, I'll pay it myself. I'll even commit 90% of the profits to the workers.

Does this sound like a good plan to you?

I guess you'd have to ask the unemployed who are facing being kicked off of unemployment while trying to figure out how to pay their mortgage. The WPA wasn't intended to be a permanent solution. However, in the aftermath of the depression it WAS the solution that worked for a great majority of Americans whose options were soup lines or working with what was offered.

But Obama said we have to pass this bill now! He must already have it all written and ready to submit... right?

Stop stealing my posts! :rofl:

sound familiar?

You're supposed to forget about all of that and just genuflect at the altar of FDR, heathen! :lol:

YEA! who needs to preserve an effort for the MASSES when one asshole, who I'm betting was never forced into working with the WPA, is clearly the center of the UNIVERSE!!

party of "fuck you", indeed.

True, he wasn't forced. He always had the option of starving. But when his project building apartments was sold to the city and became a WPA project, his previous pay of $45 per month got cut to $30 per month.

well, bummer fucking days. starving or taking the best option available to him; yup, i'd be angry at the WPA too.

I'm simply going to have some of my landscape company friends fire all their employees. Then I'll hire them all and organize them into divisions similiar to their last employment and have their old bosses as managers. We will all have nice Christmas bonuses courtesy of the government.

Forum List

Back