Give a man a fish.......

Unless you're willing to voluntarily do for individuals in need to the level you demand the rest of us be forced to do it, you don't care about either.

I've seen those you say NEED help. They're the ones that use food stamps claiming they can't afford to buy their own food yet have plenty of money to buy beer, cigarettes, lottery tickets, and iPhones. It's amazing what people can do when they want to but not when they need to.
We are the wealthiest country on earth, we have the strongest economy. We are more than capable of taking care of our own

How about you take care of those you deem worthy of your money and I'll do the same. I promise you I won't say who you personally help but I already know you can't return the favor.
---
Those who are actually without "fish" that we deem worthy of our xtra fish ...
That is the cornerstone of the debate, in my opinion.

If the "fishless" squandered their fish, then less sympathy.
However, if they were born with very few fish, and were not able to learn how to fish, then that's another story. They are innocent in that case.

Since no one owes another person anything in life, the only one that can deem another person worthy is you and the only way you can do it is with YOUR own fish not someone else's fish.

I would say someone that claims they can't afford their own food by requesting assistance yet has enough money to buy all sorts of other things is squandering their fish. If they can afford beer, cigarettes, lottery tickets, and iPhones, they can buy their own food with that money.

We have the greatest society on earth. Also the wealthiest

The idea that those you do not think "worthy" should starve is abhorrent to a civilized society

Considering no one has said that, nice try at smearing people who disagree with you.....

Give a man a gun, he can just shoot what he needs to eat...
---
Why not use a spear, or bow & arrow?
Then, when a man from another village is out hunting, invade his home & rape his wife or teen daughters!

Yes , that's a throwback to how it used to be ages ago ...
Are we not more civilized now?

We are the wealthiest country on earth, we have the strongest economy. We are more than capable of taking care of our own

How about you take care of those you deem worthy of your money and I'll do the same. I promise you I won't say who you personally help but I already know you can't return the favor.
---

However, if they were born with very few fish, and were not able to learn how to fish, then that's another story. They are innocent in that case.

Since no one owes another person anything in life, the only one that can deem another person worthy is you and the only way you can do it is with YOUR own fish not someone else's fish.

I would say someone that claims they can't afford their own food by requesting assistance yet has enough money to buy all sorts of other things is squandering their fish. If they can afford beer, cigarettes, lottery tickets, and iPhones, they can buy their own food with that money.

The idea that those you do not think "worthy" should starve is abhorrent to a civilized society

Considering no one has said that, nice try at smearing people who disagree with you.....
Good question then

What should happen to those deemed unworthy of public support?

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime

This is one of the cornerstones of conservatism today. Self determination. No "free stuff". Who could have a problem with such a basic principle of society? Why don't Liberals get it?

But what happens when there are no fish where you live?
What happens if you can't afford a pole, tackle and a license?
What happens when you go to fish and are told......."Only members are allowed to fish here"

This is where government comes in. The idea that once you have taught people to fish, your job is done does not always work in a society. Sometimes we need government to break dowmn barriers to fishing

Major fail. You can try to teach someone how to fish and even tell them where the pond is and how to get a pole, but that doesn't mean they'll try.

When we spend on education without seeing results and so many drop out, it's not because the students were denied something.

Many of us grew up poor. I did. I was one of 7 raised by a single mom after my father died. We had every excuse in the book to go on welfare and cry about going without things that wealthier people in town had. Instead, my mom taught us the importance of an education. We all worked summer jobs to earn money for school clothes and other things my mom couldn't afford. We had a mom who would come down hard on us if we neglected our school work, mistreated others or even mouthed off. We were taught to behave and treat people with respect or face the consequences.

That and that alone is what kept me on the right track. Not government. Not hand outs or rewards for showing up.

Too many parents these days can even read and are unable to teach their own children to read or write. That is so important to get through school and do well in all subjects. Too many parents don't teach their children to respect others. We see that every day on the streets of Chicago and other places where kids get beat up or killed over the most minor things.

When someone grows up without having been taught respect, the importance of school and a good work ethic, they are doomed. Drop outs, drug users, thieves and those who have babies as teens will end up on welfare and will likely never rise above that.

It starts with parents. No one is holding the children down more than a dysfunctional home. What children are taught early on will either be a spring board to a more successful life or an anchor that will keep them in poverty. Child psychologists have said that the first few years may be the most important in shaping the kind of person your children will grow up to be.

Instead of addressing the real cause, it gets blamed on society and as long as we do that, nothing will change. The only way for people to improve is to fix the root cause.

There needs to be some changes and government has a specific role. Of course, it's government that has created crony capitalism that is largely responsible for most of our problems with the economy and jobs. Allowing illegal aliens has bought wages down, but government pretends to blame the private sector even though they are in cahoots with them.

We all deserve a level playing field, but the government has tilted it, then favors some people in a false effort to make things fair.

We are all born equal. Equal opportunity is the law of the land. Those who take advantage of opportunities generally do better than those who give up early on and turn to government.

I think some like people to turn to government. It's the only thing that explains why there is a continued effort to lay blame on others for people's failures. Create bad guys, blame them and then allow government to "fix" things. It's an endless cycle and people fall for it because blaming others is easier to deal with than getting your shit together and owning up to your mistakes.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime

This is one of the cornerstones of conservatism today. Self determination. No "free stuff". Who could have a problem with such a basic principle of society? Why don't Liberals get it?

What happens when you go to fish and are told......."Only members are allowed to fish here"

This is where government comes in. The idea that once you have taught people to fish, your job is done does not always work in a society. Sometimes we need government to break dowmn barriers to fishing

Major fail. You can try to teach someone how to fish and even tell them where the pond is and how to get a pole, but that doesn't mean they'll try.

When we spend on education without seeing results and so many drop out, it's not because the students were denied something.

Many of us grew up poor. I did. I was one of 7 raised by a single mom after my father died. We had every excuse in the book to go on welfare and cry about going without things that wealthier people in town had. Instead, my mom taught us the importance of an education. We all worked summer jobs to earn money for school clothes and other things my mom couldn't afford. We had a mom who would come down hard on us if we neglected our school work, mistreated others or even mouthed off. We were taught to behave and treat people with respect or face the consequences.

That and that alone is what kept me on the right track. Not government. Not hand outs or rewards for showing up.

Too many parents these days can even read and are unable to teach their own children to read or write. That is so important to get through school and do well in all subjects. Too many parents don't teach their children to respect others. We see that every day on the streets of Chicago and other places where kids get beat up or killed over the most minor things.

When someone grows up without having been taught respect, the importance of school and a good work ethic, they are doomed. Drop outs, drug users, thieves and those who have babies as teens will end up on welfare and will likely never rise above that.

It starts with parents. No one is holding the children down more than a dysfunctional home. What children are taught early on will either be a spring board to a more successful life or an anchor that will keep them in poverty. Child psychologists have said that the first few years may be the most important in shaping the kind of person your children will grow up to be.

Instead of addressing the real cause, it gets blamed on society and as long as we do that, nothing will change. The only way for people to improve is to fix the root cause.

There needs to be some changes and government has a specific role. Of course, it's government that has created crony capitalism that is largely responsible for most of our problems with the economy and jobs. Allowing illegal aliens has bought wages down, but government pretends to blame the private sector even though they are in cahoots with them.

We all deserve a level playing field, but the government has tilted it, then favors some people in a false effort to make things fair.

We are all born equal. Equal opportunity is the law of the land. Those who take advantage of opportunities generally do better than those who give up early on and turn to government.

I think some like people to turn to government. It's the only thing that explains why there is a continued effort to lay blame on others for people's failures. Create bad guys, blame them and then allow government to "fix" things. It's an endless cycle and people fall for it because blaming others is easier to deal with than getting your shit together and owning up to your mistakes.
Your solution works on the individual level but not on the community level. When there are no more fish in the pond, the whole community suffers

Telling them to fish harder is not an answer

Your solution works on the individual level but not on the community level. When there are no more fish in the pond, the whole community suffers

It sure is..

It sure is..
Expecting the poor to fish in a dry pond is always the answer for conservatives

Actually the cliche has changed.....

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to select a good welfare/warfare state politician and he will eat until the nation goes belly up.

Sorry...makes no sense and borders on silly

Politicians are owned by the wealthy...but you knew that

Actually the cliche has changed.....

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to select a good welfare/warfare state politician and he will eat until the nation goes belly up.

Sorry...makes no sense and borders on silly

Politicians are owned by the wealthy...but you knew that

Yeah, a lot of wealthy people will vote for

563fb078180000a7003041e4.jpeg

BUT DID NOT VOTE FOR

Mitt-the-Press.jpg

..that's quite profound, little partisan. :salute:

You got it all figured out. :rolleyes:
If all the energy and resources devoted to apologizing for and subsidising bad life choices were devoted to educating people that citizens had a duty and responsibility to prepare for life, and take care of themselves, we could eliminate most poverty in a generation.

Continued dependence is the sole hope of the Democrat party, so, I expect no change.

If the factory that supported your community moves to China, is that a bad life choice?

That is the problem facing our cities. The jobs that used to sustain the people (you may even call them fish) are gone

The jobs are not yet gone (more Americans are working than at any time in our history) but a persistent underclass willing to accept gov't largesse (and vote Dem) rather than acquire marketable work skills, coupled with tech advances and anti-biz gov't policies are moving investment dollars overseas at an alarming rate.

Perhaps rather than whine about capital's justified flight you should join those of us who promote "tougher love" for those who choose to lag behind and for a gov't that coddles them at the expense of those of us who carry the load.

INEPTOCRACY - (Noun) a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or even try are rewarded - in exchange for their votes - with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Unless you're willing to voluntarily do for individuals in need to the level you demand the rest of us be forced to do it, you don't care about either.

I've seen those you say NEED help. They're the ones that use food stamps claiming they can't afford to buy their own food yet have plenty of money to buy beer, cigarettes, lottery tickets, and iPhones. It's amazing what people can do when they want to but not when they need to.

---

The idea that you can determine on my behalf who you think I should help support is abhorrent to a civilized society.

---

That you bleeding hearts demand someone else fund what you deem worthy is abhorrent to civilized society.

---

Good question then

You mean those who can support themselves but don't or who can work but won't? Let them go without if they can and won't do for themselves. Are you claiming everyone receiving social welfare handouts is worthy of support and no one cheats the system?

---

Good question then

Those that can and won't support themselves can either get their help from people like you who deem them worthy, get off their ass and do what they are capable of doing, or go without. That's three options. Really two because we know the only way you bleeding hearts will help them is by getting the government to force someone else to fund it.

---

The idea that you can determine on my behalf who you think I should help support is abhorrent to a civilized society.

We the People decide who needs support

---

Good question then

You mean those who can support themselves but don't or who can work but won't? Let them go without if they can and won't do for themselves. Are you claiming everyone receiving social welfare handouts is worthy of support and no one cheats the system?

I'll tell you what

Show me the jobs. Show me where there are 30 million jobs waiting to be filled and I will concede your point

Good question then

I'll tell you what

Show me the jobs. Show me where there are 30 million jobs waiting to be filled and I will concede your point

The Obama administration claims on a regular basis jobs are being created and unemployment is going down.

I can show you plenty of excuses AND opportunities for YOU to meet the needs you claim exist.

---

We the People decide who needs support

The we the people you speak of don't know who is getting support, therefore, your claim is false. All you get to decide is that someone else you think has too much gets to pay for what you want supported.

Good question then

I'll tell you what

The Obama administration claims on a regular basis jobs are being created and unemployment is going down.

I can show you plenty of excuses AND opportunities for YOU to meet the needs you claim exist.

Jobs are being created at 200,000 a month

Show me 30 million available jobs that are available to those on welfare.
Without available jobs, the poor are fishing in an empty pond

Forum List

Back