Gingrich Pledges To Establish Permanent Base On The Moon ‘By The End Of My 2nd Term'

I'm sure it could be mostly privately funded because of the dividends that it would result in. But hey, why not bash what you don't understand.

Megabucks for whomever undertakes the adventure.

AND SOMEONE WILL AT SOME POINT.

Let's just hope we get a piece of the pie and not pass it up over partisan politics.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Grampa Murked U again.

DAMN RIGHT

I saw a run down on where money could be made if the moon could be mined.

Titanium is EVERYWHERE. any company would be filthy rich in the long run. And just imagine the pay for anyone that could work there!!:eusa_drool:

How expensive would that be? I mean, wouldn't any ore mined on the moon have to be processed here? And wouldn't it be DAMNED expensive to transport ALL that weight back through our atmosphere onto our planet? In a capitalist system, who could afford the price of that ore when there's ore and minerals to be mined right here on this planet?

Wouldn't be that expensive to ship stuff back. Use solar-powered magnetic catapults. Escape velocity at the moon's surface is only 2.4 km/sec, versus Earth's 11.2 km/sec; plus, there's no atmosphere to slow anything down. Once you break free of the moon's gravity, it's downhill all the way to Earth.

You could process it on the moon, too. Again, solar power, using solar cells built on the moon from moon materials.

That is exactly the kingdom he should rule. He should be King of the Moon!

The GOP fathers are hoping he visits his kingdom before November.

How expensive would that be? I mean, wouldn't any ore mined on the moon have to be processed here? And wouldn't it be DAMNED expensive to transport ALL that weight back through our atmosphere onto our planet? In a capitalist system, who could afford the price of that ore when there's ore and minerals to be mined right here on this planet?

TOO FUCKIN FUNNY.

And you guys claim the gop is anti science. LOL

Here's a tidbit for you.

The moon has very little gravity to escape. And the flight through our atmosphere is..........get this.............FREE! Because of gravity.

Think before you post.

Well, unless you want that ore ship to burn up in the atmosphere, a very serious fuel supply would be necessary to get it here in one piece.
Ummm...no. Ablative shields, like on the Apollo and Gemini capsules, again made of materials on the moon.

All you need is small reaction engines on the return capsule for course correction.

This is rocket science, but it's really simply rocket science.

Funny how it's the conservatives defending this big science project, and the liberals who are saying it won't work. :lol:

In a speech pandering to Florida’s aerospace community ahead of the state’s primary, GOP contender Newt Gingrich made a bold pledge to establish a permanent U.S. base on the moon “by the end of my second term.” He further promised that if he becomes president, America will get a man to Mars “in a remarkably short time.” A budget-conscious President Obama ended the program for a lunar colony and moon trip after NASA reported it didn’t have the money for any part of the plan, “and even if it were to get a budget infusion, the schedule was unworkable.” Gingrich rebutted the charge that he is “grandiose” by comparing himself to Abraham Lincoln, the Wright Brothers and John F. Kennedy. ThinkProgress has previously reported on Gingrich’s curious space fetish, which has included an idea for a “mirror system in space could provide the light equivalent of many full moons” for nighttime driving.

Gingrich Pledges To Establish Permanent Base On The Moon 'By The End Of My Second Term' | ThinkProgress

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fau6Lr7_fQc&feature=player_embedded]Gingrich Promises Moon Base By End Of Second Term - YouTube[/ame]

LOL Money is no object. We can build more presses.

Not if you drink only rainwater like General Ripper.

All rainwater comes from evaporated ground water/ocean water. When we urinate, our urine goes into the ground water/ocean water. When that urine evaporates, the water from it becomes rainwater.

So yes, even if you drink only rainwater.

How is it the so called "anti-science" party members understand the water cycle better than the self proclaimed pro science ones?

Only the water evaporates.
What do you think happens in a closed-cycle water treatment plant?

Besides -- there's water on the moon.

Nothing you need to worry about, though. No one with such an abject lack of science knowledge is likely to be asked to go.

Actually, Gingrich's space fixation makes him more palatable to me.

I'm still not going to vote for him, but it definitely doesn't make me like him less.

I'm sure it could be mostly privately funded because of the dividends that it would result in. But hey, why not bash what you don't understand.

Megabucks for whomever undertakes the adventure.

AND SOMEONE WILL AT SOME POINT.

Let's just hope we get a piece of the pie and not pass it up over partisan politics.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Grampa Murked U again.

DAMN RIGHT

I saw a run down on where money could be made if the moon could be mined.

Titanium is EVERYWHERE. any company would be filthy rich in the long run. And just imagine the pay for anyone that could work there!!:eusa_drool:

Drill it, excavate it, blow it, mine it. I like it.

Republicans simply don't understand what it means to develop new technologies. They call doing something we've done many times before "new science".
Building a permanent base on the moon IS new science, retard. We know how to get there. What we don't know yet is how to stay there.
Of course, they don't want to develop this country either. Destroying education. Bringing down the economy. Slashing education.
Read this thread. It's the left that's saying this shouldn't or can't be done, and the conservatives who are explaining why it should and how it can.

But you just keep bitterly clinging to your retardery.

I'm sure China will loan us the money; or, maybe seniors will donate their retirement and Social Security funds to finance Newt's moon mining colony...and space mirrors...

If the American government built a base on the moon, the world would go batshitcrazy claiming it's a military base with secret deathray cannons.

If American biz builds it, the liberals will claim it's where they are hoarding all their money.

It's a win - win.

Wait, how is that possible? We've been repeatedly assured that Republicans hate science.

And it takes a lot of science to get stuff to and build stuff on the moon.

Right?

That should give you a hint about who/what Newt really is...
He's a guy who proves leftist stereotypes are bullshit?

Seems to be, yes.

he's a sleazy weasel who makes clinton look like thomas jefferson

Wait, how is that possible? We've been repeatedly assured that Republicans hate science.

Right?

And Gingrich says it will create a lot of jobs.
Wait a minute. I thought government does not create jobs.

Right?

He's planning on doing it with private funding.

:eusa_whistle:

Right?

how does he plan on paying for enough crack to get private investors to sign up for this?

how does he plan on paying for enough crack to get private investors to sign up for this?

Most companies that would want to go would be mining companies.

I saw a special on TV and there's titanium everywhere.

It would be a great risk, but with great risks come great rewards.

or complete and utter failure, but shh

Forum List

Back