Gingrich Pledges To Establish Permanent Base On The Moon ‘By The End Of My 2nd Term'

Most companies that would want to go would be mining companies.

I saw a special on TV and there's titanium everywhere.

It would be a great risk, but with great risks come great rewards.

or complete and utter failure, but shh
If it is such an attractive idea to private companies, why hasn't anyone done it?

:lol:

Virgin is working on a way to transport goods to the space station, and have achieved sub-space flight and left the atmosphere.

so update, they are on thier way.

Holy crap! The British are gonna do it first! :eek::lol:

Wait, how is that possible? We've been repeatedly assured that Republicans hate science.

And it takes a lot of science to get stuff to and build stuff on the moon.

Right?

Yeah, it takes a lot of science to get stuff.

:lol:

"...to get stuff to...the moon."

Yes, it takes a lot of science to get stuff to the moon.

Is that a surprise to you?

Whoooooshh! That's either the sound of a rocket to the moon, or his joke going over your head.

:lol::lol::lol:

Wait, how is that possible? We've been repeatedly assured that Republicans hate science.

And it takes a lot of science to get stuff to and build stuff on the moon.

Right?

And Gingrich says it will create a lot of jobs.
Wait a minute. I thought government does not create jobs.
Read the proposal again -- he's wanting private enterprise to do it.

I know, just funnin.
But no private investor will do it. Newt is career politician, knows no better.

I guess it's better than doing away with the shuttle program, an aspect of America that truly set us apart from the rest of the world and at the same time handing it over to the Russians who still cannot manage to put anything into space for more than 5 minutes.

And Gingrich says it will create a lot of jobs.
Wait a minute. I thought government does not create jobs.
Read the proposal again -- he's wanting private enterprise to do it.

I know, just funnin.
But no private investor will do it. Newt is career politician, knows no better.

we already have private sector companies going into space.

The leap to landing and setting up shop on the moon only makes good LLOONNGG term sense.

In a speech pandering to Florida’s aerospace community ahead of the state’s primary, GOP contender Newt Gingrich made a bold pledge to establish a permanent U.S. base on the moon “by the end of my second term.” He further promised that if he becomes president, America will get a man to Mars “in a remarkably short time.” A budget-conscious President Obama ended the program for a lunar colony and moon trip after NASA reported it didn’t have the money for any part of the plan, “and even if it were to get a budget infusion, the schedule was unworkable.” Gingrich rebutted the charge that he is “grandiose” by comparing himself to Abraham Lincoln, the Wright Brothers and John F. Kennedy. ThinkProgress has previously reported on Gingrich’s curious space fetish, which has included an idea for a “mirror system in space could provide the light equivalent of many full moons” for nighttime driving.
Gingrich Pledges To Establish Permanent Base On The Moon 'By The End Of My Second Term' | ThinkProgress

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fau6Lr7_fQc&feature=player_embedded"]Gingrich Promises Moon Base By End Of Second Term - YouTube[/ame]

Sounds rather costly to me.

Where will that money come from?

I am so fucking confused.

The party that pushed to get to the moon first, supported building the space base are the people that are fully against a moon base no matter how it's funded.

what the fuck happened to you people?
Aerospace engineers aren't a sufficiently large voting bloc to make pandering to them worthwhile.

no, but gullible people are.

I'd rather give loan guarantees to private American aerospace companies than Solyndra and Brazilian oil companies.

Last edited:
When JFK proposed putting a man on the moon by the end of the decade was he just as crazy?

Liberals do not want goals unless the goal is everyone on welfare.

When JFK proposed putting a man on the moon by the end of the decade was he just as crazy?

Liberals do not want goals unless the goal is everyone on welfare.

When Kennedy said it we were in the cold war, behind in the potential militarization of space.
And if one looks at it the one big mistake and deaths with it came at the hands of that time table.
I want goals, am not a liberal but this idea is for the Buck Rogers era.
Makes no sense now.

They used to call it "man's greatest achievement" and now that Barry shut down the aerospace industry the left calls it "space fetish" except when we need to hitch a ride on Russia's hunks of junk.

They used to call it "man's greatest achievement" and now that Barry shut down the aerospace industry the left calls it "space fetish" except when we need to hitch a ride on Russia's hunks of junk.

Bush shut down the aerospace industry. Smart move. He ended the shuttle program funding in 2004.
Why should government fund the private sector? That is as liberal as it gets.

Forum List

Back