Gingrich Pledges To Establish Permanent Base On The Moon ‘By The End Of My 2nd Term'

I say fuck the space program. Gingrich is a prog with a GOP label. What does wasted tax dollars going to the damn moon going to do to help people get jobs,start a better economy for themselves or help achieve better life for themselves?not a damn thing...just as bad as clinton having tax dollars going to the damn SETI program...

What makes you think that any tax dollars have to go to it?

I'm sure it could be mostly privately funded because of the dividends that it would result in. But hey, why not bash what you don't understand.

Megabucks for whomever undertakes the adventure.

AND SOMEONE WILL AT SOME POINT.

Let's just hope we get a piece of the pie and not pass it up over partisan politics.

This neither saves money nor shrinks government, and in fact does the exact opposite of both. This is the alleged "conservative" alternative to Romney?

In a speech pandering to Florida’s aerospace community ahead of the state’s primary, GOP contender Newt Gingrich made a bold pledge to establish a permanent U.S. base on the moon “by the end of my second term.” He further promised that if he becomes president, America will get a man to Mars “in a remarkably short time.” A budget-conscious President Obama ended the program for a lunar colony and moon trip after NASA reported it didn’t have the money for any part of the plan, “and even if it were to get a budget infusion, the schedule was unworkable.” Gingrich rebutted the charge that he is “grandiose” by comparing himself to Abraham Lincoln, the Wright Brothers and John F. Kennedy. ThinkProgress has previously reported on Gingrich’s curious space fetish, which has included an idea for a “mirror system in space could provide the light equivalent of many full moons” for nighttime driving.

Gingrich Pledges To Establish Permanent Base On The Moon 'By The End Of My Second Term' | ThinkProgress

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fau6Lr7_fQc&feature=player_embedded]Gingrich Promises Moon Base By End Of Second Term - YouTube[/ame]

Gingrich is not going to use federal taxpayer dollars to promote this. He stated during the Tampa, Florida debate--that it would come from the private sector through a prize system. IOW he wants to open up NASA to private investment.

So since I know you liberals don't watch GOP debates--here it is.

In summary Newt Gingrich called for setting aside 10% of the NASA budget for prizes (which would be awarded tax free), that there'd be a human base on the Moon by the end of his Administration flying an American flag, that progress on a trip to Mars would be made using propulsion that would dramatically reduce travel time, that there should be 5 launches a day - not just 1, and that the current NASA civil service system should be replaced with something more akin to what is used in the aerospace industry. IOW--he wants to open up NASA to private investment.

NASA Watch

And you'll HEAR it in the actual debate here.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4BuTa6rE4I]FULL NBC GOP Debate Tampa Florida January 23 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I'm sure it could be mostly privately funded because of the dividends that it would result in. But hey, why not bash what you don't understand.

Let's just hope we get a piece of the pie and not pass it up over partisan politics.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Grampa Murked U again.

DAMN RIGHT

I saw a run down on where money could be made if the moon could be mined.

Titanium is EVERYWHERE. any company would be filthy rich in the long run. And just imagine the pay for anyone that could work there!!:eusa_drool:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Grampa Murked U again.

DAMN RIGHT

Titanium is EVERYWHERE. any company would be filthy rich in the long run. And just imagine the pay for anyone that could work there!!:eusa_drool:

Then let that company make a permanent base on the moon.

DAMN RIGHT

How expensive would that be? I mean, wouldn't any ore mined on the moon have to be processed here? And wouldn't it be DAMNED expensive to transport ALL that weight back through our atmosphere onto our planet? In a capitalist system, who could afford the price of that ore when there's ore and minerals to be mined right here on this planet?

DAMN RIGHT

That was the point of Newts proposal. But everything on here gets so clouded with hate and partisanship you would never know it.

DAMN RIGHT

How expensive would that be? I mean, wouldn't any ore mined on the moon have to be processed here? And wouldn't it be DAMNED expensive to transport ALL that weight back through our atmosphere onto our planet? In a capitalist system, who could afford the price of that ore when there's ore and minerals to be mined right here on this planet?

TOO FUCKIN FUNNY.

And you guys claim the gop is anti science. LOL

Here's a tidbit for you.

The moon has very little gravity to escape. And the flight through our atmosphere is..........get this.............FREE! Because of gravity.

Think before you post.

DAMN RIGHT

Don't be so small minded.

Getting off the moon is easy.

And no, everything could be done much easier on the moon since there would be no concern about pollution. The only thing that would run up the price would be the cost of labor and training.

DAMN RIGHT

That was the point of Newts proposal. But everything on here gets so clouded with hate and partisanship you would never know it.

In the meantime, the war machine industry can get cranking on space defense in order to protect USA interests.

DAMN RIGHT

Don't be so small minded.

Getting off the moon is easy.

And no, everything could be done much easier on the moon since there would be no concern about pollution. The only thing that would run up the price would be the cost of labor and training.

Well, I guess Newt would just have to ban unions on the moon. Problems solved!

DAMN RIGHT

TOO FUCKIN FUNNY.

And you guys claim the gop is anti science. LOL

Here's a tidbit for you.

The moon has very little gravity to escape. And the flight through our atmosphere is..........get this.............FREE! Because of gravity.

Think before you post.

Well, unless you want that ore ship to burn up in the atmosphere, a very serious fuel supply would be necessary to get it here in one piece.

This neither saves money nor shrinks government, and in fact does the exact opposite of both. This is the alleged "conservative" alternative to Romney?

To be fair, both Newt and Romney have talked about getting a space program with the private sector leading the way. Its possible to do this without any government money theoretically.

Forum List

Back