Gingrich Calls For Trump To Break The Press

Newt Gingrich: Trump Should Use The CNN Confrontation As An Excuse To Break The Press

Newt Gingrich, a prominent supporter of President-elect Donald Trump and a Fox News contributor, would like to shatter the influence of an “adversarial” press. And he thinks Trump’s press conference confrontation with CNN reporter Jim Acosta has given the incoming administration the opportunity to dramatically reshape White House press interactions to favor journalists who will treat the president-elect more favorably.

During Trump’s January 11 presser, he lashed out at CNN and demanded the network apologize for a recent report on his alleged ties to Russia, and Acosta repeatedly called out, seeking to ask a question in response. Trump replied by calling CNN “terrible,” castigating Acosta for being “rude,” and declaring, “I’m not going to give you a question. You are fake news!” Sean Spicer, who will serve as Trump’s White House press secretary,subsequently told Acosta that he would be removed if he continued to press for a question, and Spicer later demanded that the reporter apologize to the president-elect.

Team Trump’s efforts seem intended to both damage the credibility of CNN and cow other networks into shying away from similarly critical journalism -- as Gingrich put it, to “shrink and isolate” the network. But the Fox News contributor wants the incoming administration to go even further and use the incident as an excuse to “close down the elite press.”

Gingrich laid out this strategy during an interview on Sean Hannity’s Fox News program, one of the most pro-Trump venues available. He urged Spicer to learn “a couple of big lessons” from the incident. First and foremost, he suggested that Acosta be banned from reporting on Trump events for 60 days “as a signal, frankly, to all the other reporters that there are going to be real limits” for proper behavior.

More: Gingrich Calls For Trump To Break The Press

Break the press? This reminds me of the old Soviet Union and other dictatorships. Why would any sane patriotic American want to "break the press"?

The Press?

If the press behaves like the Democrat Media Complex it should be treated as such.

You can not be biased and expect to be treated like a respectable media outlet.

Really? Do you respect Alex Jones, Breitbart, and Fox News?

Document 8

Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington

16 Jan. 1787
1ptrans.gif
Papers 11:48--49
The tumults in America I expected would have produced in Europe an unfavorable opinion of our political state. But it has not. On the contrary, the small effect of those tumults seems to have given more confidence in the firmness of our governments. The interposition of the people themselves on the side of government has had a great effect on the opinion here. I am persuaded myself that the good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army. They may be led astray for a moment, but will soon correct themselves. The people are the only censors of their governors: and even their errors will tend to keep these to the true principles of their institution. To punish these errors too severely would be to suppress the only safeguard of the public liberty. The way to prevent these irregular interpositions of the people is to give them full information of their affairs thro' the channel of the public papers, and to contrive that those papers should penetrate the whole mass of the people. The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them. I am convinced that those societies (as the Indians) which live without government enjoy in their general mass an infinitely greater degree of happiness than those who live under European governments. Among the former, public opinion is in the place of law, and restrains morals as powerfully as laws ever did any where. Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep. I do not exaggerate. This is a true picture of Europe. Cherish therefore the spirit of our people, and keep alive their attention. Do not be too severe upon their errors, but reclaim them by enlightening them. If once they become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress, and Assemblies, judges and governors shall all become wolves. It seems to be the law of our general nature, in spite of individual exceptions; and experience declares that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the governments of Europe, and to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

Amendment I (Speech and Press): Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington

The supporters of the orange have made clear that they prefer a government like that of Russia, more than the one established by the men of the American Revolution.

Newt Gingrich: Trump Should Use The CNN Confrontation As An Excuse To Break The Press

Newt Gingrich, a prominent supporter of President-elect Donald Trump and a Fox News contributor, would like to shatter the influence of an “adversarial” press. And he thinks Trump’s press conference confrontation with CNN reporter Jim Acosta has given the incoming administration the opportunity to dramatically reshape White House press interactions to favor journalists who will treat the president-elect more favorably.

During Trump’s January 11 presser, he lashed out at CNN and demanded the network apologize for a recent report on his alleged ties to Russia, and Acosta repeatedly called out, seeking to ask a question in response. Trump replied by calling CNN “terrible,” castigating Acosta for being “rude,” and declaring, “I’m not going to give you a question. You are fake news!” Sean Spicer, who will serve as Trump’s White House press secretary,subsequently told Acosta that he would be removed if he continued to press for a question, and Spicer later demanded that the reporter apologize to the president-elect.

Team Trump’s efforts seem intended to both damage the credibility of CNN and cow other networks into shying away from similarly critical journalism -- as Gingrich put it, to “shrink and isolate” the network. But the Fox News contributor wants the incoming administration to go even further and use the incident as an excuse to “close down the elite press.”

Gingrich laid out this strategy during an interview on Sean Hannity’s Fox News program, one of the most pro-Trump venues available. He urged Spicer to learn “a couple of big lessons” from the incident. First and foremost, he suggested that Acosta be banned from reporting on Trump events for 60 days “as a signal, frankly, to all the other reporters that there are going to be real limits” for proper behavior.

Break the press? This reminds me of the old Soviet Union and other dictatorships. Why would any sane patriotic American want to "break the press"?

The Press?

If the press behaves like the Democrat Media Complex it should be treated as such.

Yes. At least Breitbart and Alex Jones provide a counterbalance to the thousands of left wing blogs and websites. Something over which you libs are incensed.

CNN has shown extraordinary bias...
...They gave Trump a fortune in free air time.
True. CNN gave Trump more free air-time than Clinton. They did so for selfish reasons. Trump drew bigger audiences, which meant better Nielsen ratings.

Pure self-interest on the part of CNN; in the short run; but carrying a hefty price tag, in the long run; given how CNN's Leftist bias grotesquely skewed most of that coverage.

Like the rest of the Leftist Establishment Elites, the fools at CNN are now paying the price for that arrogance and blind self-centered imbalance.

And now the incoming Administration, which has been the victim of that arrogant bias, is returning the favor, and throwing them out into the cold.

Karma's a bitch, ain't it?

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of hyper-Leftist scum.

Last edited:

The Press?

Yes. At least Breitbart and Alex Jones provide a counterbalance to the thousands of left wing blogs and websites. Something over which you libs are incensed.

Holy shit, that is sooo hilarious! Thank you!

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be. Thomas Jefferson

Read more at: Thomas Jefferson Quotes

The orange clown has expressed his disdain for scientists and all those that pursue knowledge many times. And his rabid followers would have us worship ignorance. Obviously freedom is an anathema to our Trumpsters.

It's impossible to have meaningful debate with ignorant morons who wallow in fake news and lies.

I agree.

But you started the thread.

So even though you are biased , ignorant moron who wallows in fake news we have to confront you.

Now you can delete the thread , start one about basket weaving and thou shall be happier.

Boy wouldn't it be great to pass a law that only honest news can be published. Who would supervise the honest news to make sure it is honest? Sounds like another job for government,

We need to maintain a healthy free press.
You leftist traitors don't give a rat's ass about freedom. You'd sell it all away for two nickels.
Dumbass, you are the people swinging on Putin's cock. You would break up the EU and NATO, and hand Europe to the Russian Bear.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be. Thomas Jefferson

Read more at: Thomas Jefferson Quotes

The orange clown has expressed his disdain for scientists and all those that pursue knowledge many times. And his rabid followers would have us worship ignorance. Obviously freedom is an anathema to our Trumpsters.

That "logic" is what lost you guys in a year you should have cleaned house.

Please keep it up.

Boy wouldn't it be great to pass a law that only honest news can be published. Who would supervise the honest news to make sure it is honest? Sounds like another job for government,

We also demand integrity and honesty from the news media.
Just remember this, freedom of the press is NOT absolute.
What the fuck are you saying? That anyone that claimed that President Obama was not born in this nation should be locked up? No, you cannot do a willful libel. But you can say that "many, many people are saying" with impunity.

The First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution protects the press.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

First Amendment
And?

Why is Trump ragging on CNN? CNN was vindicated. It has been proven that FBI Director Comey gave Trump a personal briefing on the perversion dossier.

That can't be dignified with an answer.

Michelle Malkin, Glowzelle, Between To Ferns. Anyone who applies for credentials and meets the criteria. There is no reason to limit the media to a handfull of anti american leftists.

Do you really want to be fed fake news and lies 24/7?
We already are.

Not me. I get my news from a variety of sources - but certainly not from NaziCon sources such as Alex Jones, Breitbart, and Fox News.
yes. And that is why you have been deemed a far left radical moon bat

The Press?

I trust no one.

I check multiple sources before I come up with a conclusion.

I d not like to be manipulated into believing that certain issue is true.

I do not blindly follow the Democrat or Conservative Media Complexes.

Why is Trump ragging on CNN? CNN was vindicated. It has been proven that FBI Director Comey gave Trump a personal briefing on the perversion dossier.
The dossier was a packet of lies. CNN went down a bad road by hitching its wagon to buzzfeed.com....
This notion of the briefing means nothing. Its a another stupid narrative put forth by liberals..

CNN simply reported the news. Christopher Steele sent his dossier to the FBI. That was news.
No.CNN reported the contents of the dossier AS news.
CNN took buzzfeed's word that the contents of the dossier were accurate.

No, you ignorant dumbass, CNN did NOT report "the contents of the dossier were accurate."
Yes, they did....Turd muncher.

You leftist traitors don't give a rat's ass about freedom. You'd sell it all away for two nickels.
Dumbass, you are the people swinging on Putin's cock. You would break up the EU and NATO, and hand Europe to the Russian Bear.
Huh? Your muslim clown show has already broke up the EU and has made the US the laughing stock of NATO! Moronic hillary panty-sniffin' fool!

Forum List

Back