Georgia counties under G8 state of emergency

N

NewGuy

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/05/24/g8.plans.reut/

ATLANTA, Georgia (Reuters) -- A state of emergency went into effect Monday in six Georgia coastal counties as the state prepared to host world leaders at the G-8 Summit.

Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue signed an executive order this month establishing a central command to coordinate law enforcement operations for the summit, which will be held June 8-10 on Sea Island, located about 90 miles south of Savannah.

"The expectation is that everybody will go down there and voice their protest in a very law-abiding, peaceful manner," said Harold Melton, executive counsel to Perdue.

"Knowing the sensitivity of having the world's leaders all in place, being extra cautious given the state of the world right now, you just want to be sure that you are prepared in the event something should go wrong," he added.

The governor's order brings together a number of agencies under the authority of one office and sets up a chain of command to govern communication in case of an unexpected event.

The Group of Eight includes the United States, Japan, Germany, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Canada and Russia.

Protest groups called the state of emergency an overreaction.

Jamie Loughner, a self-described anarchist, known as "Bork," said she feared the Georgia order would lead to violence she experienced at last November's Free Trade Area of Americas talks in Miami, where police fired rubber bullets and pepper spray at demonstrators.

"I don't think anybody dismisses the fact that in this modern world we've made, there's a need for security," she said.

"Nonetheless, overreaction, paranoia and fear directed toward protesters is bound to produce more violence against people who are merely trying to speak their mind."

yup, should be interesting to see how it comes off. also, the local area has passed new laws regarding protests in preparation for the summit:

http://www.wgnx.com/Global/story.asp?S=1783074&nav=E8ZQMH2Q

just hope the police don't have to use any rubber bullets:

rubber%20bullet%20victim%202.jpg

Paintball guns with pepper balls are popular too.

I am moving to Atlanta in June and hope that not too many radicals live there...

Atlanta is the closest thing to the southeast's version of NYC, there are all types of people there. I'm sure if you avoid the radicals, they'll avoid you.

it's a pretty diverse crowd, but not too uppity for the most part. any protests I've seen have been fairly laid back. speak your piece, tote your sign that sort of thing. just don't block traffic, we don't like to be stopped on our way to the mall :) not rightly sure what evil is talking about so I guess I'll wait for jeff to comment...

Originally posted by JohnGalt
I am moving to Atlanta in June and hope that not too many radicals live there...

I live there. Am I radical? I mean besides being radically cool?

ah, was wondering as it didn't seem to jibe from the tone hehe, thanks for clarifying :) I love my adopted town, yankee by birth, southern at heart.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
I live there. Am I radical? I mean besides being radically cool?

wow, i've NEVER known you to leave yourself so wide open for a vicious pounding :D

I'll let it slide though :p:

Forum List

Back