George Will & Prohibition

Mr. Shaman

May 4, 2010
As usual....his pomposity disallows him to apply his moralizing to any present-day scenarios.

:rolleyes:

"Daniel Okrent's darkly hilarious "Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition" recounts how Americans abolished a widely exercised private right -- and condemned the nation's fifth-largest industry -- in order to make the nation more heavenly. Then all hell broke loose. Now that ambitious government is again hell-bent on improving Americans -- from how they use salt to what light bulbs they use -- Okrent's book is a timely tutorial on the law of unintended consequences.

The many lessons of Okrent's story include: In the fight between law and appetite, bet on appetite. And: Americans then were, and let us hope still are, magnificently ungovernable by elected nuisances."
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....how BOLD, there, Georgie.....taking-on such GARGANTUAN-THREATS to our individuality as the salt-use/lightbulb-application cabals!!!! (You gutless-weenie.)

.....And, alcohol-consumption was some kind o' widely exercised private right??!!!! :eek: Where-and-when was THAT Absolute established....or, was that merely one o' those Divine Rights, to which "conservatives" were entitled.....'cause they said so????????

If pickled-livers is a "conservative" private-right, they need to quit steppin'-on-the-toes of OTHERS' private-rights!!!

"The entire trade, of course, is fueled by the selling and buying of drugs," said Chetry. "There are some who make the case, including a former deputy foreign minister of Mexico who now works for the Brookings Institution -- somebody by the name of Andres Rosenthal -- who says maybe we need to rethink our drug laws."

Rosenthal is one of a growing chorus of former Latin American leaders who have voiced support for the legalization of marijuana.

"He says, 'As with the repeal of prohibition, the US must follow a common-sense approach by thinking the unthinkable: The gradual legalization of some drugs. The US must realize that all drugs are not created equal,'" said Chetry. "They go on to say that marijuana, maybe some methamphetamines, do not have the same harmful effects and legalization might make a difference. Do you agree?"

"Well, I don't," said Goddard. "But I do think the debate needs to go forward. We need to find a better way to handle ... Right now, the item that's fueling the violent cartels, the murders in Mexico, the cartel wars that are going on right now that have resulted in over 1,000 deaths this year, I think we need to take a very aggressive stand on that and marijuana is the number one producer for the cartels. Sixty to 70 percent of their gross profits comes from marijuana. So, I think we need to look very hard at something we haven't looked at for years."

Yeah, "conservatives"....THAT'S what we NEED; something nice-'n-convenient/politically-safe like MORE DEBATE!!!!!!!!

:mad:

"Penalties against possession of a drug should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself; and where they are, they should be changed. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against possession of marihuana in private for personal use... Therefore, I support legislation amending Federal law to eliminate all Federal criminal penalties for the possession of up to one ounce of marihuana." - Jimmy Carter, U.S. President

I'm not entirely sure what your point is here.

George Will's seems to be that prohibition of substances that people take to get high are doomed to fail.

He notes, correctly I think, that alcohol prohibition was a disaster.

Marijuana prohibition appears (to me, at least) to be as well.

Is he wrong?

Am I?

George Will's seems to be that prohibition of substances that people take to get high are doomed to fail.

Is he wrong?

Am I?

Sharron Angle agrees with prohibition. I wonder what the Tea Baggers think of that?

Is he wrong?

Am I?

Sharron Angle agrees with prohibition. I wonder what the Tea Baggers think of that?

I'm sorry but I don't know who Sharron Angle is.

I haven't seen any indication that the Tea Party On'ers have any position regarding alcohol or marijuana prohibition.

Have you?

Is he wrong?

Am I?

I'm sorry but I don't know who Sharron Angle is.

I haven't seen any indication that the Tea Party On'ers have any position regarding alcohol or marijuana prohibition.

Have you?

Sharron Angle is opposing Harry Reid in NV. She is backed by the Tea Baggers. I have seen NO platform from the Tea Baggers other than to oppose anything Obama.

That's all she needs.

I would also like to know what VY means when he refers to tea partiers, Angle and Prohibition. Is he calling the illegality of weed "prohibition"?
BTW, I have to say the OP is the first I've seen any evidence of ANYONE being jealous of G. Will.

But obviously, somebody is.

Then, why don't people (like him) COME-RIGHT-OUT AND SAY SO??!!!! (....Rather-than wimpin'-out, and referring-to nonsensical-issues...."from how they use salt to what light bulbs they use.")​

Is he wrong?

Am I?

What does Angle have to do with George Will or that incomprehensible OP?

Is he wrong?

Am I?

I can't make heads :razz: or tails of most of his posts either

Last edited:

Is he wrong?

Am I?

Using the criteria we have failed to stamp out some illegal activity as an excuse to simply make it legal would lead one to believe the MILLIONS of home break ins that occur every year should just be legalized, after all according to YOUR criteria we have failed at stopping them. Same with murder and a slew of other crimes.

Is he wrong?

Am I?

Sharron Angle agrees with prohibition.
Was that her position, Before....or, AFTER her last campaign??????

:confused:

Is he wrong?

Am I?

That's because he's a first class dipshit. For example, he thinks it's about light bulbs and salt rather than government control. Oops, I mean control.

Is he wrong?

Am I?

Using the criteria we have failed to stamp out some illegal activity as an excuse to simply make it legal would lead one to believe the MILLIONS of home break ins that occur every year should just be legalized, after all according to YOUR criteria we have failed at stopping them. Same with murder and a slew of other crimes.

....So, you'd have MAINTAINED the Prohibition, against alcohol.....'cause it'd have been more-convenient to do so, huh?

....So, you'd have MAINTAINED the Prohibition, against alcohol.....'cause it'd have been more-convenient to do so, huh?

You are FREE to drum up support for an AMENDMENT to make MJ legal.

Is he wrong?

Am I?

That's because he's a first class dipshit. For example, he thinks it's about light bulbs and salt rather than government control. Oops, I mean control.

Yeah, that was some seriously-risky behavior, on Will's part....making it about light bulbs and salt.

Whatta wimp...... :rolleyes:

Nice dodge!! (Maybe I should call it a Will.)

You never answered the question: You'd have MAINTAINED the Prohibition, against alcohol???

Nice dodge!! (Maybe I should call it a Will.)

You never answered the question: You'd have MAINTAINED the Prohibition, against alcohol???

Your question is pointless. An amendment was passed allowing the return to consumption of alcohol. That negates any attempt by me or the Government preventing it.

And that is EXACTLY the point. If the people actually support getting rid of the laws on MJ and recreational drugs, get them to PASS an amendment making it legal and removing the ability of the Government to intercede. Pretty simply concept.

And that is EXACTLY the point. If the people actually support getting rid of the laws on MJ and recreational drugs, get them to PASS an amendment making it legal and removing the ability of the Government to intercede. Pretty simply concept.
Don't need any amendment, since there was never one passed to start the idiotic "war" on (some) drugs.

All that's necessary is to repeal the foolhardy policy.

Don't need any amendment, since there was never one passed to start the idiotic "war" on (some) drugs.

All that's necessary is to repeal the foolhardy policy.

Wrong, the Government is free to pass laws and regulate drugs as they see fit. The only way to STOP them would be an amendment. One that you pot heads will never get passed.

Red herring.

Burglary and murder are crimes of aggression against another person...Smoking a joint or stuffing some coke in your head is not such an act of aggression.

Forum List

Back