George Will & Prohibition

Using the criteria we have failed to stamp out some illegal activity as an excuse to simply make it legal would lead one to believe the MILLIONS of home break ins that occur every year should just be legalized, after all according to YOUR criteria we have failed at stopping them. Same with murder and a slew of other crimes.
Red herring.

Burglary and murder are crimes of aggression against another person...Smoking a joint or stuffing some coke in your head is not such an act of aggression.

It's the things you do to get that stuff.

And that is EXACTLY the point. If the people actually support getting rid of the laws on MJ and recreational drugs, get them to PASS an amendment making it legal and removing the ability of the Government to intercede. Pretty simply concept.
Don't need any amendment, since there was never one passed to start the idiotic "war" on (some) drugs.

All that's necessary is to repeal the foolhardy policy.

Wrong, the Government is free to pass laws and regulate drugs as they see fit. The only way to STOP them would be an amendment. One that you pot heads will never get passed.
huh...WHA? :lol::lol::lol:

Using the criteria we have failed to stamp out some illegal activity as an excuse to simply make it legal would lead one to believe the MILLIONS of home break ins that occur every year should just be legalized, after all according to YOUR criteria we have failed at stopping them. Same with murder and a slew of other crimes.
Red herring.

Burglary and murder are crimes of aggression against another person...Smoking a joint or stuffing some coke in your head is not such an act of aggression.

What the samscratch are you talking about?

It's the laws against those substances which are primarily responsible for the violence, not the drugs themselves.

Ever heard of Coors perpetrating a drive-by shooting at a Budweiser brewery?

You are FREE to drum up support for an AMENDMENT to make MJ legal.
Nice dodge!! (Maybe I should call it a Will.)

You never answered the question: You'd have MAINTAINED the Prohibition, against alcohol???

Your question is pointless.
Gee.....another dodge/George-Will.

:clap2:

Lemme guess.....you're (either) some wannabe-schoolboy (who dreams o' bein' the next John Wayne/Chickenhawk-Extraordinaire)....or, you are some retiree, who's forgotten-all-about how to think-things-thru....preferring to be TOLD what to do (like a good, lil' "conservative"; i.e. go-along to get-along).

:rolleyes:

And that is EXACTLY the point. If the people actually support getting rid of the laws on MJ and recreational drugs, get them to PASS an amendment making it legal and removing the ability of the Government to intercede. Pretty simply concept.
Don't need any amendment, since there was never one passed to start the idiotic "war" on (some) drugs.
....Or, the original War On Mexicans.....whichever you prefer....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvUgJEhQ5cY]YouTube - Grass, A Marijuana History - Narrated by Woody Harrelson#Part1#[/ame]​

All that's necessary is to repeal the foolhardy policy.

Wrong, the Government is free to pass laws and regulate drugs as they see fit.
Yeah....THAT'S what it was all-about.....everyone's Health & Welfare.....

303.gif

Red herring.

.....'Cause it's ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“In 1981, a sealed, one-ounce bottle of Merck & Company pharmaceutical cocaine cost about $50 through legal channelshttp://www.hoboes.com/Politics/Prohibition/Notes/BeyondWOD/; when stolen, it commanded $3,200 on the black market. The $3,150 price differential arose solely from the difference in legality. This power of the criminal law to create value represents a modern-day version of alchemy, taking a mundane medicinal product and transforming it into a treasure.”

I don't suppose they'd mentioned that, in your D.A.R.E.-classes.

So George Will thinks that the new lightbulbs are going to ultimately be a failure?
Just the ones the government tells you you have to use....or, some such weenie-allusion.

(I guess he was under-the-gun to write something, today....and, pitched some convenient-softball.....or, he's been tyin' his bowties too-tightly.)

I'm not entirely sure what your point is here.

George Will's seems to be that prohibition of substances that people take to get high are doomed to fail.

He notes, correctly I think, that alcohol prohibition was a disaster.

Marijuana prohibition appears (to me, at least) to be as well.

Is he wrong?

Am I?

Sharron Angle agrees with prohibition. I wonder what the Tea Baggers think of that?

Not really.

Not unless, of course, one cannot differentiate between "the law" and real crime.

Obviously in your case, you can't.

Thanks for your imput though.

I'm not entirely sure what your point is here.

George Will's seems to be that prohibition of substances that people take to get high are doomed to fail.

He notes, correctly I think, that alcohol prohibition was a disaster.

Marijuana prohibition appears (to me, at least) to be as well.

Is he wrong?

Am I?

no, your take is genuine and I think at least on target.

You are FREE to drum up support for an AMENDMENT to make MJ legal.
Nice dodge!! (Maybe I should call it a Will.)​

You never answered the question: You'd have MAINTAINED the Prohibition, against alcohol???

Your question is pointless. An amendment was passed allowing the return to consumption of alcohol. That negates any attempt by me or the Government preventing it.

And yet AMAZINGLY (according to the clueless logic of your previous post) the end of prohibiton didn't ALSO include to repeal against "murder and a slew of other crimes."

Why, it's almost as though prohibition against alcohol and marijuana has nothing whatever to do with "murder and a slew of other crimes."

So George Will thinks that the new lightbulbs are going to ultimately be a failure?

"....preclinical data published online last week in the journal Cell Communication and Signaling reported that the administration of the non-psychoactive cannabinoid cannabidiol (CBD) increases adult neurogenesis (the active production of new neurons) in laboratory animals. Authors speculated that cannabis’ pro-neurogenic effects may explain why the plant appears to be useful in the treatment of certain neurodegenerative disorders like Alzheimer’s disease or ALS."

Nice dodge!! (Maybe I should call it a Will.)​

Your question is pointless. An amendment was passed allowing the return to consumption of alcohol. That negates any attempt by me or the Government preventing it.

And yet AMAZINGLY (according to the clueless logic of your previous post) the end of prohibiton didn't ALSO include to repeal against "murder and a slew of other crimes."

Why, it's almost as though prohibition against alcohol and marijuana has nothing whatever to do with "murder and a slew of other crimes."

I guess he'd forgotten Charlton Heston had already covered those.

CharltonHestonTheTenCommandmentsC101021021.jpg

Forum List

Back