Generational wealth

YEs buying throw away crap makes people happy we know that's what you think.
I keep telling people those foil helmets you buy off the back page of the comic book don't give you mind-reading powers, but here we are...

I keep telling people those foil helmets you buy off the back page of the comic book don't give you mind-reading powers, but here we are...

And yet you whine about poor people not having cheap crap to buy.

And yet you whine about poor people not having cheap crap to buy.
Who am I (or you) to deny them access to stuff? If I want to buy quality, it doesn't harm me in the slightest that they can afford cheap versions of what I buy and enjoy. It seems to bother you, though.

Who am I (or you) to deny them access to stuff? If I want to buy quality, it doesn't harm me in the slightest that they can afford cheap versions of what I buy and enjoy. It seems to bother you, though.

Where did I ever say I wanted to deny anyone anything?

Please quote the post.

Where did I ever say I wanted to deny anyone anything?

Please quote the post.
You don't like the fact that the economy is based on consumption (another word for circulation of money) and that people buy cheap crap that needs to be replaced regularly. How else can that be interpreted, given that the poor literally can't afford much higher quality?

You don't like the fact that the economy is based on consumption (another word for circulation of money) and that people buy cheap crap that needs to be replaced regularly. How else can that be interpreted, given that the poor literally can't afford much higher quality?

Quote the post where I said I want to deny anyone anything.

You don't like people buying cheap crap that needs to be replaced frequently.

Quote the post where i said i wanted to "deny" people of anything. Or just admit you're lying and made it up.

I've already told you where that came from. Sorry if you don't get it.
No you made I claim that I said something and now you can't prove I said it.

So you made up some shit attributed it to me then argued against it.

in short you lied

No you made I claim that I said something and now you can't prove I said it.

So you made up some shit attributed it to me then argued against it.

in short you lied
So how do you interpret you desire that people not buy cheap stuff that needs to be replaced frequently? What are the poor supposed to do?

So how do you interpret you desire that people not buy cheap stuff that needs to be replaced frequently? What are the poor supposed to do?
Save a little money delay gratification and buy something that will last for a few years instead of having to replace it in 6 months

Save a little money delay gratification and buy something that will last for a few years instead of having to replace it in 6 months
Sure, WE think they would be happier because that's what WE would do. We don't, however, have standing to tell them what would make them happy. That's their call.

Sure, WE think they would be happier because that's what WE would do. We don't, however, have standing to tell them what would make them happy. That's their call.

It's an alternative to buying crap and throwing it away to buy the same carp and throw it away.

Basing an economy on buy, throw away, buy again is not wise.

It's an alternative to buying crap and throwing it away to buy the same carp and throw it away.

Basing an economy on buy, throw away, buy again is not wise.
What steps do you propose we take to do away with cheap crap that needs to be frequently replaced?

What steps do you propose we take to do away with cheap crap that needs to be frequently replaced?

It's a cultural attitude that can be changed just like the way society has turned against smoking.

It's a cultural attitude that can be changed just like the way society has turned against smoking.
How are you going to do it? That's the question. We turned people against smoking with a massive public information campaign. TV shows were scrubbed clean of any reference to tobacco, smokers were exiled to distant outside corners, smoking being depicted in movies was put on par with nudity. How are you going to do that with cheap goods?

1. A massive wave of PSA's telling people to stop buying cheap stuff and only buy expensive stuff. Don't think that's going to work.
2. Movies and TV shows depicting the lives of poor families suddenly only feature bleak, bare mobile homes with no TV's, no working stoves and holes in the floor. Good luck with that.
3. Movies showing any low-cost items get an 'R' rating because we don't want children to see them. They can only see the lives of the well-to-do. That'll work.
4. Cameras installed outside every Walmart so we know who to harass about buying cheap stuff. Nope.

Do you plan on shaming people who can only afford cheap stuff? You know that's what you're up against, right?

How are you going to do it? That's the question. We turned people against smoking with a massive public information campaign. TV shows were scrubbed clean of any reference to tobacco, smokers were exiled to distant outside corners, smoking being depicted in movies was put on par with nudity. How are you going to do that with cheap goods?

1. A massive wave of PSA's telling people to stop buying cheap stuff and only buy expensive stuff. Don't think that's going to work.
2. Movies and TV shows depicting the lives of poor families suddenly only feature bleak, bare mobile homes with no TV's, no working stoves and holes in the floor. Good luck with that.
3. Movies showing any low-cost items get an 'R' rating because we don't want children to see them. They can only see the lives of the well-to-do. That'll work.
4. Cameras installed outside every Walmart so we know who to harass about buying cheap stuff. Nope.

Do you plan on shaming people who can only afford cheap stuff? You know that's what you're up against, right?

How are you going to change the things you want to change?

Do you have detailed plans and to the minute schedules? It's a dumb question.

I'll do my part by talking to people and trying to get them to se that rampant consumerism is actually harming them

That's all I can do

How are you going to change the things you want to change?

Do you have detailed plans and to the minute schedules? It's a dumb question.

I'll do my part by talking to people and trying to get them to se that rampant consumerism is actually harming them

That's all I can do
And you're on a hopeless quest, because people want to pay the least that they can get away with paying, and if someone will make cheap stuff they can afford, that's what they'll buy.

And you're on a hopeless quest, because people want to pay the least that they can get away with paying, and if someone will make cheap stuff they can afford, that's what they'll buy.

Your opinion and you know how much that means to me

Forum List

Back