Gas shortages for the East Coast in July?

Ideal spots for the shortage. The East Coast Blue States have been voting in lock step for FDR for so long, they'll vote for Obama even if they've worn the soles of their shoes out walking because they have no gas. Voting Democratic till the end of time.

big union membership, massive welfare etc.. yup!

They sent our guys to war in Iraq and Afganistan for the oil. Obama is killing the plot.
Trumps is right, we should take the oil.
I'm an infidel. Fuck those murdering Pricks and the holy shit book.

Last edited:
uhhhh... no? Nice try though.
if you wanted to lower gas prices, why wouldnt you increase the supply domestically? more supply leads to lower prices....

Because supply locally will still not ignore the supply and demand globally unless you are able to produce enough to sustain our needs wholly without any foreign oil whatsoever. Even at that point, you are going to find it hard pressed to create a closed market without drastic effects in other areas not to mention the cost of doing so can create its own problems. That is a feat I do not think we are capable of doing at this point.
AHAAAA!!!!! so youre actually agreeing that increasing supply domestically will not actually lower gas prices!!!! so we can't actually drill our way out this situation as the GOP claims.

so now what would you like the president to do since simply having the US increase its supply will have no affect whatsoever on the global price of gas......

if you wanted to lower gas prices, why wouldnt you increase the supply domestically? more supply leads to lower prices....

Because supply locally will still not ignore the supply and demand globally unless you are able to produce enough to sustain our needs wholly without any foreign oil whatsoever. Even at that point, you are going to find it hard pressed to create a closed market without drastic effects in other areas not to mention the cost of doing so can create its own problems. That is a feat I do not think we are capable of doing at this point.
AHAAAA!!!!! so youre actually agreeing that increasing supply domestically will not actually lower gas prices!!!! so we can't actually drill our way out this situation as the GOP claims.

so now what would you like the president to do since simply having the US increase its supply will have no affect whatsoever on the global price of gas......

The reason we should have drilled more is that trouble in the Middle East would have a crushing effect of the supply of oil from that region. The more oil that we can access from our own reserves or the reserves of countries that are not adversarial towards us...the more secure our supply of oil will be.

So what do we do now if the Middle East does blow up over Iran's nuke program? Start drilling? Great...that will help us a couple of years down the road. My answer to your question about what I would like the President to "do"...is that I would like to see him do everything in his power to maintain a steady stream of oil and gas coming in so that we don't have to suffer through another recession brought on by a spike in oil costs. Barry's policies are going steadily increase the cost of any energy derived from fossil fuels in this country. That's been his agenda from the start of this Administration and it will resume being his agenda if and when he is reelected. Watching Steven Chu get up in front of Congress and lie about now wanting to lower the cost of gas made me want to throw something at the TV. If there was a "bull shit" alarm in that room it would have been BLARING!!!

The reason we should have drilled more is that trouble in the Middle East would have a crushing effect of the supply of oil from that region. The more oil that we can access from our own reserves or the reserves of countries that are not adversarial towards us...the more secure our supply of oil will be.

So what do we do now if the Middle East does blow up over Iran's nuke program? Start drilling? Great...that will help us a couple of years down the road. My answer to your question about what I would like the President to "do"...is that I would like to see him do everything in his power to maintain a steady stream of oil and gas coming in so that we don't have to suffer through another recession brought on by a spike in oil costs. Barry's policies are going steadily increase the cost of any energy derived from fossil fuels in this country. That's been his agenda from the start of this Administration and it will resume being his agenda if and when he is reelected. Watching Steven Chu get up in front of Congress and lie about now wanting to lower the cost of gas made me want to throw something at the TV. If there was a "bull shit" alarm in that room it would have been BLARING!!!
FA_Q2 has already admitted that increasing supply domestically will have little to no affect on global prices, so your argument is still invalid.

the US can not produce enough oil to affect the market. we product 9M barrels a day but consume 18M. we have only 2% of the worlds oil reserve.

what reality do you live in?

I wonder how it will effect Obama's re-election campaign to have gas shortages in areas that are normally strongly Democrat territory?

As gas prices rise, no relief in sight at pump

Published March 17, 2012
| The Wall Street Journal

U.S. gasoline prices jumped 6% in February, and market experts predict they will climb higher because critical refining operations in the Northeast are shutting down.
As Northeastern refining capacity declines, it will force distributors in the region to buy gasoline from elsewhere, pushing up prices across the country and increasing the likelihood of price spikes, government officials and analysts warn.
"There's now going to be a question if we can get enough gasoline into the East Coast for summer," said David Greely, an energy analyst at Goldman Sachs Group Inc. The U.S. Energy Department has warned a shortfall could develop as early as July.

Read more: As Gas Prices Rise, No Relief In Sight At Pump | Fox News
Short answer? One term presidency.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Vel, I'd advise you to follow the conservative approach to the world on this matter:

If you think the price of gas is too high, don't buy it. Either go out and make your own gasoline, or find some other way to do what you gotta do that doesn't involve gasoline. There's no inherent right to gasoline.

Vel, I'd advise you to follow the conservative approach to the world on this matter:

If you think the price of gas is too high, don't buy it. Either go out and make your own gasoline, or find some other way to do what you gotta do that doesn't involve gasoline. There's no inherent right to gasoline.
You can always go onto the futures and commodities market and try to get the best price available. Or you can go this route.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaCMfgPS8Vo&feature=related]Grease Car Culture - YouTube[/ame]

FA_Q2 has already admitted that increasing supply domestically will have little to no affect on global prices, so your argument is still invalid.

the US can not produce enough oil to affect the market. we product 9M barrels a day but consume 18M. we have only 2% of the worlds oil reserve.

I'm not talking about the cost, Syphon. I'm talking about a conflict in the Middle East shutting down the supply. If we're not able to get it here...and they aren't shipping it from THERE...where do you think the oil is going to come from to run our economy? From the "oil fairy"? I'm guessing you weren't around when OPEC turned off the spigots back in the 70's? Currently we get around 2.5 million barrels of oil a day from Canada. The Keystone pipeline would increase that to over 5 million a day. The Athabasca oil field in Alberta is estimated to hold 1.7 trillion barrels of oil, double what the Saudi oil fields hold. So why are we not building that pipeline to supply oil to our refineries? What possible reason does Barry have to not get off his ass and do something to protect our economy's future? Because of possible environmental damage? Then why did he approve another pipeline just last year? Was there less of a need THEN than NOW?

This Administration does not have a workable energy plan...they think that if they increase the cost of fossil fuels and force the American economy onto alternative forms of energy that we can somehow make up the difference in what we lose by getting rid of coal fired electric plants and shutting down refineries with electric cars, wind power and solar power...yet you can't show me a single study that shows us anywhere CLOSE to being able to do that. It's one more glaring example of how the progressives political agenda has NOTHING to do with reality.

I'm not talking about the cost, Syphon. I'm talking about a conflict in the Middle East shutting down the supply. If we're not able to get it here...and they aren't shipping it from THERE...where do you think the oil is going to come from to run our economy? From the "oil fairy"? I'm guessing you weren't around when OPEC turned off the spigots back in the 70's? Currently we get around 2.5 million barrels of oil a day from Canada. The Keystone pipeline would increase that to over 5 million a day. The Athabasca oil field in Alberta is estimated to hold 1.7 trillion barrels of oil, double what the Saudi oil fields hold. So why are we not building that pipeline to supply oil to our refineries? What possible reason does Barry have to not get off his ass and do something to protect our economy's future? Because of possible environmental damage? Then why did he approve another pipeline just last year? Was there less of a need THEN than NOW?

This Administration does not have a workable energy plan...they think that if they increase the cost of fossil fuels and force the American economy onto alternative forms of energy that we can somehow make up the difference in what we lose by getting rid of coal fired electric plants and shutting down refineries with electric cars, wind power and solar power...yet you can't show me a single study that shows us anywhere CLOSE to being able to do that. It's one more glaring example of how the progressives political agenda has NOTHING to do with reality.
i dont understand your anger on this issue. we werent talking about the middle east. we were talking about increasing production domestically.

so tell me how increasing production domestically will lower prices...

Keystone is also not dead, they just have to find a new route for the northern section. why is this a bad thing? the southern section is being built, but not even Transcanada has a problem with developing a new route.

and most of the Keystone oil will be going over seas and not even used here in the US. 5M barrels added to the global supply will not lower gas prices significantly either. there is not evidence that we can drill out way out of this problem as much as the right would like to think so.

Uh, no. Don't put words into my mouth. Nowhere did I ever say that domestic production has no effect on global prices. Domestic production sure as hell does drive down global cost as a matter of supply and demand. The question is, do we have enough capacity to do so and if we did, what would the response be from other oil exporting nations in the middle east. At this moment, we don't have the capacity. The issue I have with the president really has nothing to do with the gas prices but that he is hurting our future energy positions by not allowing drilling to get started today.

BTW, I have never claimed the president has anything whatsoever to do with gas prices so your gotcha moment is rather childish.

The supply of gas is UP. We are exporting more gasoline than we use for the first time in 50 fucking years. Demand is DOWN 6.5% from last year.

So, the price we pay at the pump obviously has little to do with supply and demand.
Prices can go up and demand can fall, however if demand continues to fall in relation to supply, prices will fall.

65% of the price of a gallon of gas is due to the price of oil. OPEC produces 40% of the world's oil. They do not set prices but rather set production quotas which of course influences price.

The actual price of a barrel of oil is determined by commodity traders who buy and sell contracts for oil to be deliveries at a future date. Oil contracts are traded by commercial traders, individual speculators and investment bankers. The contacts eventually are bought by refineries who take delivery of the product.

The refined gasoline is sold by the refineries directly to distributors but they also sold via future contracts. The future contracts are traded on exchanges similar to oil futures by speculators and various investment interest as well as the oil refineries and distributors.

The bottom line is that most of the price we pay for gas is determined by free market trading of both oil and gasoline. OPEC certainly influences prices and speculators can bid up the price of gas or oil, but it is the consumer that ultimately determines the price.

There are 149 oil refineries in the US and over 700 in world. As long as there is no constrain on price, there will be plenty of gas.

But there isn't enough diesel. For the past six years, the price of diesel has not dropped below the price of gasoline. Gasoline used to be king in the summer. And in the winter (when gasoline seasone was over and production cut back...but diesel demand being more flath througout the year....it would invert. Now diesel is more expensive. Some places are dumping gasoline. Eurpoe is long on it. for sure.

Refiners used to configure to make as much gasoline as possible. That meant FCC's. Now, hydrocrackers are the rage because they make diesel.
I have a neighbor who drives a big rig across the country. He tells me we have had shortages of diesel for the last 20 years, never nationwide and always seasonal.

That is true,I have been in and out of many bulk storage terminals and pipeline operations up and down the east coast for 30 years,they run out of diesel now and then. Just at a Citgo terminal in New york installing control wiring for a die injection sytem for fuel oil,they were way low ,waiting for a delivery in a few days,the pipeline gets crowded and contributes to local shortages,they have said refining capacity is a factor also.

Forum List

Back