Gary Johnson wins Libertarian Party nomination

The Libertarians did the only sensible thing and nominated Gary Johnson for their candidate for president. Johnson is the only reasonable choice in the race. He is a two term governor with a solid record. Does he have plenty of downsides? Of course. But not nearly as many as McCain. And lots of people, including me, voted for McCain.

I see we've all learned about promoting from the DOnald. Got to have those catchy controversial sideshow slogans. :biggrin: I would proud to have a "Feel the Johnson" bumper sticker (on my tractor).

Didn't hear if Will Weld (past governor of Mass) was approved as VP. I do know there is a fight over whether Weld is "Libertarian enough". A problem my party has ALWAYS had. And in the race to being MORE Libertarian --- we are the world's richest mine of anarchists.

TWO successful state governors on one ticket would be really rad.. Considering the choices. The only polls INCLUDING Johnson recently ALREADY showed him at 10 or 12%. BEFORE the convention. So we're half-way there to throwing America's first election into the House in over 100 years.

And I want to see the tears and hissy fits stream from the Dem/Rep camps when we reach 15% and by the rules are SUPPOSED to be included in the debates. Except that the FEC "debate committee" is a bunch of hot-head party loyalists who signed a memo saying that their candidates WOULD ONLY debate Democrats or Republicans.

Now that's the kinda of "rigged system" this election is all about. Isn't it?

You really don't know how that works, do you? Which states will Johnson win? I can tell you! Neverland!

In a 3way, asssuming neither of your candidates go to trial for anything, LOL---- its pretty easy to draw 34%.
and thats the bar. Assuming clinstone and turumph are tying. I can see those purple states doing just that. And johnson will be strong in places like indiana, ohio, new mexico, colorado, maybe washington.state.. Places where the Drug war ended on maijuana, and arguments for school choice, smalleer govt, and less corporate welfare are desired..

In a head to head matchup. Johnson seems to be bleeding off dem voters. Maybe he will inherit RedBernie voters when hilly steals the election.
He's an ex CEO of a pot distribution company, for legalizing MJ. He wants to make gay marriage protection a Constitutional Amendment. You may be right about that..

The Libertarians did the only sensible thing and nominated Gary Johnson for their candidate for president. Johnson is the only reasonable choice in the race. He is a two term governor with a solid record. Does he have plenty of downsides? Of course. But not nearly as many as McCain. And lots of people, including me, voted for McCain.

I'm still not sure what a Libertarian is.

There is endless variation amongst people who call themselves "libertarians". But the basis is what you'd call classical liberalism. Locke, the Austrians, Friedman, etc.
It isn't really. They like to pretend it is but it is more classical Anarchism ala Emma Goldman. Classical liberals believe there is a legitimate coercive power of the state.

Here

There is endless variation amongst people who call themselves "libertarians". But the basis is what you'd call classical liberalism. Locke, the Austrians, Friedman, etc.
It isn't really. They like to pretend it is but it is more classical Anarchism ala Emma Goldman. Classical liberals believe there is a legitimate coercive power of the state.

The anarchist wing of the party is there because some folks believe that is the ONLY form of "purity" for Libertarians. They never got the message that the Lib Party are fans of the Constitution and the legal system. And because they are entertaining as hell -- we keep them around. They are always so desperate when anyone CARES about their opinions.

I see we've all learned about promoting from the DOnald. Got to have those catchy controversial sideshow slogans. :biggrin: I would proud to have a "Feel the Johnson" bumper sticker (on my tractor).

Didn't hear if Will Weld (past governor of Mass) was approved as VP. I do know there is a fight over whether Weld is "Libertarian enough". A problem my party has ALWAYS had. And in the race to being MORE Libertarian --- we are the world's richest mine of anarchists.

TWO successful state governors on one ticket would be really rad.. Considering the choices. The only polls INCLUDING Johnson recently ALREADY showed him at 10 or 12%. BEFORE the convention. So we're half-way there to throwing America's first election into the House in over 100 years.

And I want to see the tears and hissy fits stream from the Dem/Rep camps when we reach 15% and by the rules are SUPPOSED to be included in the debates. Except that the FEC "debate committee" is a bunch of hot-head party loyalists who signed a memo saying that their candidates WOULD ONLY debate Democrats or Republicans.

You really don't know how that works, do you? Which states will Johnson win? I can tell you! Neverland!
You'd be surprised. SO many people are turned off by both Trump and Hillary the only alernative to Johnson is staying home.

Can you answer the question? Which states can he win because he has to have electoral votes?
All of them. He can win all of them.

In a close Clinstone/Turumph race -- it only take 60 electoral votes or so to throw it into the House. IF we make the debates, and IF that were to happen, it would be a great day for us.

Here's the goal that the media won't discuss. IF Johnson were to finish about 15% of popular vote in most states ---- it saves the Lib Party about $40Mill in ballot petitioning, hurdling the ballot barriers and court challenges in the NEXT election cycle. The ballot access issue saps all our energy every cycle before the race even begins..

I thought this thread was about penises, how disappointing then when I read it's about politics :eusa_doh:

Yanno --- they're not always two different things.

In a head to head matchup. Johnson seems to be bleeding off dem voters. Maybe he will inherit RedBernie voters when hilly steals the election.
He's an ex CEO of a pot distribution company, for legalizing MJ. He wants to make gay marriage protection a Constitutional Amendment. You may be right about that..

He took that job for $1 a year to lend his clout to the cause. He's not in that for the money..

He took that job for $1 a year to lend his clout to the cause. He's not in that for the money..

Yeah call me crazed but it seems to me governing a state is just a sliiiiightly more important part of his résumé.

Gary Johnson is the only serious candidate running now.

Do you really think that just typing this kind of horse shit makes it true?

I'm just wondering why you would bother to lie in such a pathetically ridiculous way.

Libertarians on Sunday selected former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson as their party's presidential nominee, at their party convention in Orlando, Florida.

Johnson was the party's nominee in 2012 and once again won the position despite backlash from the party's more radical Libertarian wing.

In the first round of voting, Johnson reached 49.5 percent of the vote, according to the official party total, just shy of the majority needed for victory. His nearest opponents, Austin Petersen and John McAfee, reached 21 and 14 percent respectively. On the second round of voting, Johnson clinched the nomination with 55.8 percent of the vote.
Gary Johnson wins Libertarian presidential nomination at party convention - CNNPolitics.com

The Libertarian Party retains its status as a backup plan for failed Republican politicians by nominating Johnson again, and likely nominating Bill Weld for his running mate. At this point, it's time for the Libertarian Party to rebrand since they seem to be more interested in nominating Republican cast-offs than anybody interested in libertarianism.

For the Libertarian party looking to attract Republicans, this is probably the year they should go status quo. If they nominated a total nut job that even your average Republican would be incensed by then they gain nothing, they couldn't even look at this year and say "hey everyone we broke 5% woo - hoo!". They'd just further fall into irrelevance.

There is no down side to Gary Johnson because no matter who this party nominates they aren't going to win so Libertarians don't have to be embarrassed when they realize they elected a moderate Republican.

So, in conclusion, the Libertarians party can only hope to increase their percentages, here is no down side to putting up a non-purist because they aren't going to win anyway.
There's a downside when the goal is to spread libertarianism rather than nominating somebody whose only libertarian position is that weed should be legal. Saying libertarianism is "social liberalism, fiscal conservatism" is just meaningless nonsense that nobody is interested in.

I watched a good portion of the Libertarian debate/convention last night because I am giving them consideration. I have to say though wow if it wasn't Johnson I would have wrote that party out completely. What I saw was basically kind of a shitshow between Anarchists and Gary Johnson the only one with common sense. I mean Johnson answered a few questions where unless you were an anarchy-libertarian they were reasonable answers that were imo mainstream Libertarian and he was booed. Just my opinion of course.

Despite that Johnson is worth consideration but man that was crazy, too much anarchy type Libertarianism.
Like when he said "I don't know" to intervening in WWI or WWII?

Libertarians on Sunday selected former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson as their party's presidential nominee, at their party convention in Orlando, Florida.

Johnson was the party's nominee in 2012 and once again won the position despite backlash from the party's more radical Libertarian wing.

In the first round of voting, Johnson reached 49.5 percent of the vote, according to the official party total, just shy of the majority needed for victory. His nearest opponents, Austin Petersen and John McAfee, reached 21 and 14 percent respectively. On the second round of voting, Johnson clinched the nomination with 55.8 percent of the vote.
Gary Johnson wins Libertarian presidential nomination at party convention - CNNPolitics.com

The Libertarian Party retains its status as a backup plan for failed Republican politicians by nominating Johnson again, and likely nominating Bill Weld for his running mate. At this point, it's time for the Libertarian Party to rebrand since they seem to be more interested in nominating Republican cast-offs than anybody interested in libertarianism.

That sucks. Now I can't support the Libertarians again. They have no integrity. Again ...

Interesting.

Gary Johnson is a loser. Only those with an IQ of a fishbowl would want to vote for him.

Hey, you want to vote for Johnson, Gary or Lyndon, go right ahead. But if you don't vote for Romney you're voting for Obama de facto.
The narco-libertarians are a noxious weed on the GOP. They have no party loyalty and many of their policies are abhorrent to real conservatives. Good bye and good riddance.

He's in favor of turning the country into drug-crazed zombies. That marks the true narco-libertarian.

Note to OP: No one gives a shit about Gary Johnson. No one gives a shit about liberals' opinion of Gary Johnson.

By that measure Romney is far the better candidate. Did New Mexico ever elect a bunch of bumblers like Ted Kennedy, Barney Frank, John Kerry, or Mike Dukakis? No. Mass did though. Which tells you what Romney had to work with.
Is ROmney a conservative? No. NEver claimed he was.
But Romney has something Gary Johnson doesn't have: The nomination of the GOP (coming) and the possibility of winning. And if the GOP is so awful why did Johnson run in their primaries?

Las ttime I was at the Bluebird was 30 years ago.
I dont vote to prove a point. I vote to elect people. And I want Romney elected over Obama. I want anyone elected over Obama. And Romney is the only candidate with an actual chance of winning.

Rabbi votes to elect people, but Trump and Hillary are the only two candidates with a chance of winning, so why is he supporting Johnson when Trump has something that Johnson doesn't have: The nomination of the GOP? And isn't Johnson a "loser" and a "drug crazed zombie" that "nobody gives a shit about?"

Hilarious.

Third party candidates always poll higher this early on, and then consistently underperform when actual votes are counted.

Feel the Johnson! Let Him Blow a Load of Liberty All Over You!
Gary Johnson is probably the GOP candidate we should have had.
Suddenly pro-choice Gary Johnson is the GOP candidate we should have had! Brilliant!

Think of us as Tea Party members WITHOUT all the socially conservative morals.

OR

As Bernie Sanders IF he knew a lot about Capitalism, math and economics.. :banana:
No. Those are the worst ways to describe libertarians, aside from "socially liberal but fiscally conservative."

Think of us as Tea Party members WITHOUT all the socially conservative morals.

OR

As Bernie Sanders IF he knew a lot about Capitalism, math and economics.. :banana:

I've just been reading a bit about Libertarianism, the Fiscal Conservatism and Non-Interventionism in foreign policy, unless for direct self-defence, these things I completely agree with. The Freedom of Speech and Non-Censorship of the Press and their stance about Prostitution, I also agree with. They're anti-Capital Punishment, which I can't agree with.

What happened to The Tea Party, are they still active?
Some libertarians are against capital punishment. Being pro or anti-capital punishment is perfectly in line with libertarianism.

Interesting.

Gary Johnson is a loser. Only those with an IQ of a fishbowl would want to vote for him.

Hey, you want to vote for Johnson, Gary or Lyndon, go right ahead. But if you don't vote for Romney you're voting for Obama de facto.
The narco-libertarians are a noxious weed on the GOP. They have no party loyalty and many of their policies are abhorrent to real conservatives. Good bye and good riddance.

He's in favor of turning the country into drug-crazed zombies. That marks the true narco-libertarian.

Note to OP: No one gives a shit about Gary Johnson. No one gives a shit about liberals' opinion of Gary Johnson.

By that measure Romney is far the better candidate. Did New Mexico ever elect a bunch of bumblers like Ted Kennedy, Barney Frank, John Kerry, or Mike Dukakis? No. Mass did though. Which tells you what Romney had to work with.
Is ROmney a conservative? No. NEver claimed he was.
But Romney has something Gary Johnson doesn't have: The nomination of the GOP (coming) and the possibility of winning. And if the GOP is so awful why did Johnson run in their primaries?

Las ttime I was at the Bluebird was 30 years ago.
I dont vote to prove a point. I vote to elect people. And I want Romney elected over Obama. I want anyone elected over Obama. And Romney is the only candidate with an actual chance of winning.

Rabbi votes to elect people, but Trump and Hillary are the only two candidates with a chance of winning, so why is he supporting Johnson when Trump has something that Johnson doesn't have: The nomination of the GOP? And isn't Johnson a "loser" and a "drug crazed zombie" that "nobody gives a shit about?"

Hilarious.

Desperate times call for novel actions. Rabbi is just tacking into the wind. Like a LOT of the #nevertrump #neverhilliary folks will. And fun fact --- Every election cycle -- close to 1/2 of America castes a "wasted vote".

Because ----- They were desperate to win.. INSTEAD of being desperate for real change.

When you see an oasis on the horizon -- do you WASTE your time changing course? If it's a mirage.

We're offering a 2 term governor with impeccable record of following thru on fiscal conservancy and social tolerance.. It's not a mirage.

The Tea Party embraced the libertarian movement but why didn't libertarians embrace the Tea Party activists? The short answer is that the libertarian movement morphed into ....guess what....the freaking pot head movement. You almost gotta laugh that new age libertarians don't want to celebrate the fact that Johnson was the CEO of Canabis Sativa.
Wrong. Libertarians largely stayed out of the Tea Party because we're not crazed warmongers.

The problem I see with libertarians is that they tend to think everyone is motivated by freedom and prosperity. Those views can be dangerous when dealing with immigration and terrorism.
Because Republicans think freedom is only for elites.
That makes absolutely no sense. Try again.
Actually your post makes no sense.
Freedo and prosperity are for everyone. Free movement of labor and capital is a basic conservative tenet.
Um, yeah it does make sense. You and doc just don't want to acknowledge that there are people in the world who are not interested in freedom and prosperity, and are motivated more by hate and violence. Libertarians think we can make peaceful people out of terrorists if we give them financial opportunities and let them come and go as they please, thinking they will like us if we show them love and introduce them to freedom. They don't live in the real world.
Again, nobody believes that.

Forum List

Back