Freedom of Speech

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
The First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

As it pertains to internet message boards, do you think members should be able to post whatever they please wherever on the board they please and cry like little babies if their threads/posts are moved, or do you think there's a reason why subforums broken down into categories exists?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

As it pertains to internet message boards, do you think members should be able to post whatever they please wherever on the board they please and cry like little babies if their threads/posts are moved, or do you think there's a reason why subforums broken down into categories exists?

Since when does the first amendment apply to privately-owned messageboards? :eusa_whistle:

From the tone of the question, I am guessing this question is quite loaded. However, the First Amendment only applies to government. Board administrators have the right to kick the shit out of whiny bastards whenever they like. However, I think as a matter of policy, their actions should be self-restrained to the extent possible. Since I just gave you what amounts to a vote of support, mind if I ask why the question is being asked now?

From the tone of the question, I am guessing this question is quite loaded. However, the First Amendment only applies to government. Board administrators have the right to kick the shit out of whiny bastards whenever they like. However, I think as a matter of policy, their actions should be self-restrained to the extent possible. Since I just gave you what amounts to a vote of support, mind if I ask why the question is being asked now?

Hi Reilly. I'm sure Gunny will correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a hunch it was this:

http://usmessageboard.com/showpost.php?p=623850&postcount=1

Censorship should be avoided, but moving threads and moving posts is NOT censorship. And as Jillian pointed out this is a PRIVATE board. We are members here at the pleasure of the Board owner and his Moderators. There are rules and they should be followed unless they are so confusing as to be unable to follow.

Certain people post here and think they have a right to hijack threads and post the same paranoid drivel in any and all threads on every forum. The options left to the rest of us and the Moderators is to ignore them , or to move their crap to an appropriate area.

Now I have not seen any claim that anyone is being denied the right to post if they have not violated board rules. Nor have I seen any credible claim that posts were deleted.

Curiosity mostly, to see where those who respond fall. The question really isn't loaded.

It's being asked now because the issue has come up once again. I'm not pointing any fingers, since it has come up more than a few times in the past.

IMO, when people run amock on a message board, posting whatever they please wherever they please, more intelligent posters just go somewhere where they don't have to put up with such crap.

Curiosity mostly, to see where those who respond fall. The question really isn't loaded.

It's being asked now because the issue has come up once again. I'm not pointing any fingers, since it has come up more than a few times in the past.

IMO, when people run amock on a message board, posting whatever they please wherever they please, more intelligent posters just go somewhere where they don't have to put up with such crap.

I think you are definitely right about posters going somewhere else when people are allowed to post any inflammatory crap they like wherever they like. The administrators on this board seem very good. Keep up the good work and thanks.

Censorship should be avoided, but moving threads and moving posts is NOT censorship. And as Jillian pointed out this is a PRIVATE board. We are members here at the pleasure of the Board owner and his Moderators. There are rules and they should be followed unless they are so confusing as to be unable to follow.

Certain people post here and think they have a right to hijack threads and post the same paranoid drivel in any and all threads on every forum. The options left to the rest of us and the Moderators is to ignore them , or to move their crap to an appropriate area.

Now I have not seen any claim that anyone is being denied the right to post if they have not violated board rules. Nor have I seen any credible claim that posts were deleted.

There have been no (zero) posts deleted except double-posts, and with the exception of members deleting their own posts.

Most current thread in Trash Can subforum.

Your worried because the board loon has posted another lie? The man needs professional help. He is only going to get sicker and sicker if no one in his life forces him to seek help. I do not doubt that eventually he will lose it completely and do something illegal.

Paranoia is vicious. Delusional Paranoia is even worse. No matter how smart you are, if you do not face the reality that what you think may not be true you can never help yourself.

Even if you seek help your delusions will always be there. The best you can hope for is to build up a mechanism to check your self before acting on things you believe. You do not ever stop believing them, but you can learn to not act on those delusions.

It is damn hard work. On one hand you KNOW what you believe, on the other you have to teach yourself to not act on that without checks to ensure your beliefs are really right.

I am not sure I am explaining this right.

Your worried because the board loon has posted another lie? The man needs professional help. He is only going to get sicker and sicker if no one in his life forces him to seek help. I do not doubt that eventually he will lose it completely and do something illegal.

Paranoia is vicious. Delusional Paranoia is even worse. No matter how smart you are, if you do not face the reality that what you think may not be true you can never help yourself.

Even if you seek help your delusions will always be there. The best you can hope for is to build up a mechanism to check your self before acting on things you believe. You do not ever stop believing them, but you can learn to not act on those delusions.

It is damn hard work. On one hand you KNOW what you believe, on the other you have to teach yourself to not act on that without checks to ensure your beliefs are really right.

I am not sure I am explaining this right.

Not worried. Just looking for a consensus opinion. I have mine, and being a retired Marine, you know how I like it .... a place for everything and everything in its place.:lol:

If we're going to have just chaos, we really need only one forum.

No problems. We just need a new emoticon. It should be a picture of the little face spitting a dummy ("pacifier"). To make it interesting it should be on a little cord attached to the little face so that when it's spat out it comes flying back again and the little face sucks on it for a few seconds before spitting it again. :D :lol:

You can see this troubles me immensely :eusa_boohoo: :badgrin:

No problems. We just need a new emoticon. It should be a picture of the little face spitting a dummy ("pacifier"). To make it interesting it should be on a little cord attached to the little face so that when it's spat out it comes flying back again and the little face sucks on it for a few seconds before spitting it again. :D :lol:

You can see this troubles me immensely :eusa_boohoo: :badgrin:

What REALLY scares me is I have SEEN that emoticon in the past.:wtf:

Can you update it? That whirly tunnelly thing used to play merry hell with my eyes :eusa_whistle:

On the other hand that tall, willowy brunette used to play merry hell with my eyes too....
never mind, it was a while ago...

Forum List

Back