Franco’s Body Is Exhumed, as Spain Still Struggles to Confront the Past

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
For the relatives of those whose remains were moved to the Valley, Franco’s exhumation is a partial redress. The most important aspect for them is that the government deals with what Fausto Canales, a former agronomist and the son of a Republican buried in one of the chambers, calls the “kidnapping of bones.” In 1936, when Canales was two years old, his father, Valerico, was detained by Francoist vigilantes in Pajares de Adaja, a town in the province of Ávila. His family later learned that he was shot, and his body was dumped in an abandoned well somewhere near his village, along with those of five other men and a woman. Twenty-three years later, while Canales was studying in Madrid, his brother heard from a neighbor that their father’s bones had been dug up from the well, but no one knew where they had been taken. “We were living in a dictatorship,” Canales, now eighty-five, recalled. “All we could do was wait for the right moment to come. Finding my father became a retirement project for me.”

While I think the exhuming Franco is a political ploy, the rest of this article is interesting.

I see Franco is losing his valiant battle to remain dead.

Fascist Franco is the exception that proves the rule, that fascism did not lose World War Two.
Hitler did of course, as did Mussolini. But Franco and fascism itself survived. The ensuing "Red Scare" communist witch craze was bubbled up not because they were positively communist but because they were negatively anti-fascist and that was inconvenient to the new power order.

For the relatives of those whose remains were moved to the Valley, Franco’s exhumation is a partial redress. The most important aspect for them is that the government deals with what Fausto Canales, a former agronomist and the son of a Republican buried in one of the chambers, calls the “kidnapping of bones.” In 1936, when Canales was two years old, his father, Valerico, was detained by Francoist vigilantes in Pajares de Adaja, a town in the province of Ávila. His family later learned that he was shot, and his body was dumped in an abandoned well somewhere near his village, along with those of five other men and a woman. Twenty-three years later, while Canales was studying in Madrid, his brother heard from a neighbor that their father’s bones had been dug up from the well, but no one knew where they had been taken. “We were living in a dictatorship,” Canales, now eighty-five, recalled. “All we could do was wait for the right moment to come. Finding my father became a retirement project for me.”

While I think the exhuming Franco is a political ploy, the rest of this article is interesting.

This reeks of Jews.

is German spy and syphilitic "Lenin" the next on the line?

Forum List

Back