Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Arson

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • CO2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
I voted for all except CO2. Other was accidents, dropped cigarette butts, campfire not fully extinguished, etc. Also, since fire is a natural part of the Western ecosystem, preventing periodic fires makes the eventual one much worse. Damn you Smokey!!

I voted for all except CO2. Other was accidents, dropped cigarette butts, campfire not fully extinguished, etc. Also, since fire is a natural part of the Western ecosystem, preventing periodic fires makes the eventual one much worse. Damn you Smokey!!

If that's a "natural cycle", the preventing human causes of forest fires would be preservation of that natural cycle, right?

If that's a "natural cycle", the preventing human causes of forest fires would be preservation of that natural cycle, right?
We have tried to stop all fires, whatever the cause. Many Western plants, like redwoods, are adapted to regular fire events and actually require them to thrive.

We have tried to stop all fires, whatever the cause. Many Western plants, like redwoods, are adapted to regular fire events and actually require them to thrive.

How have we tried to stop fires from natural causes?

We put out ALL fires. We don't differentiate by cause.

We put out ALL fires. We don't differentiate by cause.

I see.

Native American tribes used fire to modify their landscapes in many significant ways prior to the arrival of European settlers.[1] Purposefully set fires by natives helped promote the valued resources and habitats that sustained indigenous cultures, economies, traditions, and livelihoods.[2] The cumulative ecological impacts of Native American fire use over time has resulted in a mosaic of grasslands and forests across North America that was once widely perceived as untouched, pristine wilderness.[3][4][5] It is now recognized that the original American landscape was already humanized at the time that the first European explorers, trappers, and settlers arrived; but the extent to which Native Americans manipulated entire ecosystems using fire remains a contentious topic.[6][7]

Native American use of fire - Wikipedia

Native American tribes used fire to modify their landscapes in many significant ways prior to the arrival of European settlers.[1] Purposefully set fires by natives helped promote the valued resources and habitats that sustained indigenous cultures, economies, traditions, and livelihoods.[2] The cumulative ecological impacts of Native American fire use over time has resulted in a mosaic of grasslands and forests across North America that was once widely perceived as untouched, pristine wilderness.[3][4][5] It is now recognized that the original American landscape was already humanized at the time that the first European explorers, trappers, and settlers arrived; but the extent to which Native Americans manipulated entire ecosystems using fire remains a contentious topic.[6][7]

Interesting. And, considering humans are just as much products of nature as are redwood trees, our actions can be considered part of "natural cycles".

Interesting. And, considering humans are just as much products of nature as are redwood trees, our actions can be considered part of "natural cycles".

Forum List

Back