CDZ For violent teens...put their names on a database and allow gun stores to refuse to sell to them....

No. It would have to be a national database like the NICS. Otherwise, it would be unconstitutional for a local police department to supply a list to a gun store. What would keep him from traveling outside the area?

Could be....but then you run into the danger of the current Terrorist Watch list....where people are added without any knowledge and without any way to get off the list....Ted Kennedy was put on a watch list, as was a Fox news person......the only way the Fox news host got off the list is he had a Senator on his show, and asked him to get him off the list..

We need a much better process before we let the democrats start adding names to a ban list.....

So.........please explain............exactly HOW would gun stores differentiate between someone buying a weapon for home protection, hunting, or collecting......and someone with psychotic thoughts in their head???

Really, I'm curious as hell.

Here....some actual steps that might work....

And so we focused on how do we make sure we start doing real assessments of students that have problems and required that they happened at the school so we don’t have, we don’t have people just turning a blind eye, because when Parkland happened, a lot of people said oh, we always knew it was going to be that guy. That was the guy we always thought it would be. And so that can’t happen, if you stop and think about it. That should never happen.
----
And then we required all of our schools, our public schools, all of them had to have law enforcement officers on duty when they’re open, and they had to do drills,
-----
So what we did was we increased money and it had to go, we’d already been doing some, but all the new money had to go for hardening, period. Then what we did was we said the school districts, we added more money for law enforcement officers. Depending on the school districts, we have school districts by county in Florida. We, they were already, many of them were already doing it. They teamed up with their sheriff’s department, the police departments, and they were funding their own programs.
----

HH: Check, check. And explain why that’s different from some red flag laws, because that’s a key, I’ve been urging people that it’s got to go through the police.
----

RS: So then we did that, and that, my understanding, through due process that’s been used 5,000 times in Florida, and people feel comfortable that it’s increased safety. Here’s something else that we did. We were, I was very vocal about the FBI, because the FBI had prior knowledge, I think it was three times they had been called about the shooter at Parkland, and the information didn’t go from their call center to the local FBI office or to local law enforcement.
----
HH: Now Senator, when we come back after break, I’m going to ask you about the 21-year old age limit, so save that.
---
I sat down with everybody and said what could, you know, we’ve got, unfortunately, we’ve got some very responsible 18-year olds, and then we’ve got some irresponsible 18-year olds. And I said I’m not going to take away their rights to own a gun, have a gun, but they’re, basically, it has to be, you cannot buy it by yourself. You have to be with your parents. You cannot buy it until you’re 21.

Last edited:

So.........in other words.................

These guys want all the school and public mental health programs, clinics, hospitals, and processes the Dems completely shut down and eradicated back in the 80's, reinstated? LMAOROFL

Good luck with that!!!

So.........in other words.................

These guys want all the school and public mental health programs, clinics, hospitals, and processes the Dems completely shut down and eradicated back in the 80's, reinstated? LMAOROFL

Good luck with that!!!

They did it at the state level.....with republicans in charge to fix that.....

And the point about family or threatened people being able to get the police to actually act is the important point......

And so we focused on how do we make sure we start doing real assessments of students that have problems and required that they happened at the school so we don’t have, we don’t have people just turning a blind eye, because when Parkland happened, a lot of people said oh, we always knew it was going to be that guy. That was the guy we always thought it would be. And so that can’t happen, if you stop and think about it. That should never happen.
----

And then we required all of our schools, our public schools, all of them had to have law enforcement officers on duty when they’re open, and they had to do drills,
-----
So what we did was we increased money and it had to go, we’d already been doing some, but all the new money had to go for hardening, period. Then what we did was we said the school districts, we added more money for law enforcement officers. Depending on the school districts, we have school districts by county in Florida. We, they were already, many of them were already doing it. They teamed up with their sheriff’s department, the police departments, and they were funding their own programs.
----

HH: Check, check. And explain why that’s different from some red flag laws, because that’s a key, I’ve been urging people that it’s got to go through the police.
----

RS: So then we did that, and that, my understanding, through due process that’s been used 5,000 times in Florida, and people feel comfortable that it’s increased safety. Here’s something else that we did. We were, I was very vocal about the FBI, because the FBI had prior knowledge, I think it was three times they had been called about the shooter at Parkland, and the information didn’t go from their call center to the local FBI office or to local law enforcement.
----
HH: Now Senator, when we come back after break, I’m going to ask you about the 21-year old age limit, so save that.
---
I sat down with everybody and said what could, you know, we’ve got, unfortunately, we’ve got some very responsible 18-year olds, and then we’ve got some irresponsible 18-year olds. And I said I’m not going to take away their rights to own a gun, have a gun, but they’re, basically, it has to be, you cannot buy it by yourself. You have to be with your parents. You cannot buy it until you’re 21.

The is one county where I taught high school which has a force of one sheriff and six deputies. There are 5 K-8 schools, a middle school, and a high school. That would require every deputy and the sheriff to be on duty in a school during the day with no one on duty at night. How do you think that would work out? Why not arm the teachers and staff? The assistant principal was a former deputy sheriff and several in the other schools had military experience besides me.

During training, my principal told the state troopers that he would rather have a few armed teachers like me than security guards or active law enforcement because of the response time. Unfortunately the state did not follow through on letting the faculty be armed.

Well, I *was* going to build toward something, but the thread kind of stampeded right past me.

As an idea, a list is not a bad one. This one, though, has to answer some questions first.
A. Why only 18-20 year olds?
B. Why is it non-binding?
C. Why state only?

Each of these seem to not protect rights as much as they offer truck-sized loopholes that gun dealers can drive right through.

How about a binding, nationwide central list for all gun transfers, that dealers or transferrers are required to check every time?

Wouldn't that work better?
Again, absent due process, a government mandated and maintained list of firearm transactions – who bought what, where, and when – would be a clear violation of the Fourth and Fifth Amendments’ right to privacy and right to due process of the law.

Forum List

Back