Football Field-Sized Asteroid Could Strike Earth in September

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
0617e892-3cd8-4c73-892d-2fc4884ffa27.jpg

According to Fox News, the object is 164 feet wide. More than likely, the asteroid will sail past the Earth at a distance of 4.2 million miles. But if a collision does happen, scientists believe it will occur Sept. 9.

The prediction came from the European Space Agency, which has asteroid 2006QV89 on its top 10 list of objects that are at risk of slamming into the Earth.

I don’t see any dire warning of impending doom. I sure hope it doesn’t come down anywhere near Vegas – buy maybe somewhere west of here wouldn’t be all that bad.

More
@ Football Field-Sized Asteroid Could Strike Earth in September

According to Fox News, the object is 164 feet wide. More than likely, the asteroid will sail past the Earth at a distance of 4.2 million miles. But if a collision does happen, scientists believe it will occur Sept. 9.

The prediction came from the European Space Agency, which has asteroid 2006QV89 on its top 10 list of objects that are at risk of slamming into the Earth.

I don’t see any dire warning of impending doom. I sure hope it doesn’t come down anywhere near Vegas – buy maybe somewhere west of here wouldn’t be all that bad.

More

164 feet wide....

If it landed in the middle of NYC it would take out most of the city.

Jo

More

164 feet wide....

Jo
How about if it landed on the US capital building ? I've been praying for this asteroid for over 50 years

More

164 feet wide....

Jo
While I like your optimism much smaller strikes in Russia indicate that if the object either is going supersonic a mile above NYC or has enough volatiles to cause multiple strikes NYC will suffer damages in the trillions and casualties that will make 9/11 look minor.

Asteroids or comets etc... have caused.....shall we say.....same damage? on Earth .....

by "some" I mean killing dinosaurs......changing continents landscapes etc.....

But this one is not as big as the others in the past....so...

More

164 feet wide....

Jo
While I like your optimism much smaller strikes in Russia indicate that if the object either is going supersonic a mile above NYC or has enough volatiles to cause multiple strikes NYC will suffer damages in the trillions and casualties that will make 9/11 look minor.

The severity of the strike will depend on if it is an oblique angle strike or if its a 90 deg straight down strike. If it is oblique, then it will enter earths gravity and fall a much longer distance through our atmosphere burning up and breaking up as it does so. Speed will be reduced and the impact lessened.

If it is a straight down strike 70-90 deg, then the energy is contained in a very small location and the asteroid will remain intact as its speed remains high until impact. This is a worst case scenario as this would be the equivalent of 50 100KT devices leveling everything out to about 2.5 miles and a shock wave that is felt around the world.

Depending on how and where it strikes, it will be devastating for that region.

Lets just hope this misses us. I'm not ready for instant ice age....

Last edited:

More
we need a way to reclaim and process asteroids that are "delivered to us for free".

I hope it hits Pelosi's house....
LOL

2.5 miles in diameter leveled/incinerated and a hole where her house was that is 100-200 feet deep and about 1,500 feet in diameter or bigger.. The dust cloud would cause the start of the next glacial cycle. San Diego would be ashes and the resulting tsunami would hit all over the world.

If your good with losing about 50 million people in the region, it will definitely change the ocean front property as the faults in that region will move significantly.

Last edited:

More

164 feel is HALF a football field! Football fields are 360 feet long by 156 feet wide.

cleaning up and recycling space debris could be useful.

rail gun technology "in reverse" could be a form of tractor field/beam "that could "pull mineral rich space debris toward those fields/beams.

it should work on aircraft carriers as well. hypothetically, aircraft could be brought in automatically via "reverse rial gun launch technologies",

it could help with recovery and turn around performance.

Forum List

Back