Food stamps for college students

Full of shit?? Nope.. full of pride in my ability to take care of myself... full of the values that ones like my grandfather instilled in me....

And yes... I did donate the same amount away to charity that my ex took out of a governmental system

For the record, I don't believe you. :neutral:

Okay. That's one definite no and one definite yes.

I don't exactly get how it's a handout if you've paid taxes for years, though.

It is a handout because the government is acting like a mommy or a charity, which is not the role of government... I willingly pay taxes and I willing support taxes that go towards things that the government is supposed to do (National Security and defense, law creation, law enforcement, governmental operations, etc)...

If more people would stand up and take personal responsibility instead of a willingness to suck of the governmental and society tit, then the easier it would be to rid ourselves and our government from this entitlement and handout bullshit

Did you write off your donation?

:D

I don't think the donation was equivalent to the minimum charitable donation... I know the slip is in the folder in my filing cabinet for that year's taxes... but I really can't remember if I had enough charitable donations in that year to really deduct them... if I remember correctly I had that and a monthly donation of $15 to the American Diabetes Association that was known as a CFC donation thru the military pay system... . not like I was paying much in taxes anyway off of less than $1400 a month of a military salary

Last edited:
I don't think the donation was equivalent to the minimum charitable donation... I know the slip is in the folder in my filing cabinet for that year's taxes... but I really can't remember if I had enough charitable donations in that year to really deduct them... if I remember correctly I had that and a monthly donation of $15 to the American Diabetes Association that was known as a CFC donation thru the military pay system... . not like I was paying much in taxes anyway off of less than $1400 a month of a military salary
There isn't an under on charitable donations.

For the record... I could not possibly care less if you do or you don't... but I have the tax records and the donation slips and the knowledge within me that I did, and that is good enough for me

I don't know you, Dave, so I don't know if you are making that up but I have known people who have done similar things so I have no reason to doubt you. Also known of people who were clearly in need of assistance, especially medical, but who refused to accept it out of shame.

I think more and more people are doing what many would call abusing the system. Even some of those people would call it that themselves. They rationalize or know that other people must be doing the same so why take the high road and come out looking like a loser.

There will always be a certain percentage of the population which has no scruples and will cheat or take advantage of loopholes in our social welfare system. I suspect those people are being joined by other more ordinary folk who have conflicting thoughts. I can tell you that one major reason the percentage of people taking advantage who might not necessarily need it is increasing is because of asswipes like Kenneth Lay and other obscenely rich people who you idolize. People are becoming more and more aware of just how corrupt big business actually is and they are discouraged and fed up and decide that if the big guys are going to steal, then so will they.

Last edited:
I don't know you, Dave, so I don't know if you are making that up but I have known people who have done similar things so I have no reason to doubt you. Also known of people who were clearly in need of assistance, especially medical, but who refused to accept it out of shame.

I think more and more people are doing what many would call abusing the system. Even some of those people would call it that themselves. They rationalize or know that other people must be doing the same so why take the high road and come out looking like a loser.

There will always be a certain percentage of the population which has no scruples and will cheat or take advantage of loopholes in our social welfare system. I suspect that percentage is increasing and I can tell you that one major reason it is increasing is because of asswipes like Kenneth Lay and other obscenely rich people who you idolize. People are becoming more and more aware of just how corrupt big business actually is and they are discouraged and fed up and decide that if the big guys are going to steal, then so will they.

1) I would not call it shame... I would call it pride in doing for themselves...
2) I agree that more and more are what you and I and some others may call 'abusing the system'
3) I think people are realizing that yes some businesses are corrupt, just as I hope they start to realize these government welfare systems and earmarks are corrupt, as well as the politicians behind them. I think people are also realizing that more people are corrupt and out to take advantage of anyone and any supposed system out there.
4) It is unfortunate that so many people try and justify their bad actions because they hear of other bad actions, in a "tit for tat" mentality

But good post

1) I would not call it shame... I would call it pride in doing for themselves...
2) I agree that more and more are what you and I and some others may call 'abusing the system'
3) I think people are realizing that yes some businesses are corrupt, just as I hope they start to realize these government welfare systems and earmarks are corrupt, as well as the politicians behind them. I think people are also realizing that more people are corrupt and out to take advantage of anyone and any supposed system out there.
4) It is unfortunate that so many people try and justify their bad actions because they hear of other bad actions, in a "tit for tat" mentality

But good post

Thanks.

Pride or shame? Perhaps it's pride for some who are able to do for themselves. But for others it's shame. Too ashamed to be seen as a poor because it's been drummed into their heads that their poverty is the result of being their being lazy and nothing else. Not inequality, not plain bad luck, not due to being the victim of a crime, not human mistake, not lack of intelligence, not medical issues, not anything beyond a person's own control and choice. That is a very sad thing to see, IMO.
When I hear people with more wealth that they could ever possibly need trying to justify the exploitive means by which they've fed their greed by saying their victims bring it on themselves, it makes me want to box their ears very very hard. And maybe chop off their heads as well.

Last edited:
Anguille, I actually went through the same thing a few months ago. I was working full-time AND going to school full-time. I was fired from the job because my school schedule would no longer allow me to work, and the bank refused to work with my schedule.

When I applied for unemployment, they told me that I was not able to work 40 hours a week. I told them it was not their decision on how much I was able to work, and I asked if they had ever heard of a thing called "night shift." It annoyed me to no end because I saw plenty of deadbeats waiting in line to get their benefits paid, people who obviously not looking for jobs but still getting the benefits.

See, that's the thing though. The government doesn't want people like you getting assistance, because you only need them for a little while until you are doing better, and then you don't depend on them anymore.

They want the people who make their living collecting government hand-outs. The kind of people who vote BASED on those benefits. It's a system of control. When you have people depending on you to survive, you have them wrapped around your finger.

dude.. for the sake of that pulsating vein in Gunny's temple let's not derail another thread.

8 pages of pretty good discussion and of course Mani has to come along and mumble an utterance of dick envy.

It's like clockwork around here anymore.

Forum List

Back