Food stamps for college students

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
College students working at least 20 hours a week and earning no more than $1107 per month can qualify for up to $162 in food stamps per month. Even if their parents pay their tuition and rent...and can afford to buy their groceries.

More college students using food stamps - 08/12/2008 - MiamiHerald.com

If you are a college student, would you do this? If you are a parent, would you encourage your kid to apply for food stamps, even if you could afford all of their expenses?

College students working at least 20 hours a week and earning no more than $1107 per month can qualify for up to $162 in food stamps per month. Even if their parents pay their tuition and rent...and can afford to buy their groceries.

If you are a college student, would you do this? If you are a parent, would you encourage your kid to apply for food stamps, even if you could afford all of their expenses?

21 is complete legal independence. Why should the parents have to pay for everything if they can afford it, while other parents don't have to pay a dime cause they can not afford it?

IF you support food stamps, then it is simple, College Students qualify if they meet the criteria set by law.

Using your logic if a 22 year old living away from home meets the criteria they should not get them either if the parents can "afford" to foot the bill for that kid too. When exactly does the parent no longer have to be financially responsible for the off spring? In your case you are saying never if the family can "afford" it.

21 is complete legal independence. Why should the parents have to pay for everything if they can afford it, while other parents don't have to pay a dime cause they can not afford it?

IF you support food stamps, then it is simple, College Students qualify if they meet the criteria set by law.

Using your logic if a 22 year old living away from home meets the criteria they should not get them either if the parents can "afford" to foot the bill for that kid too. When exactly does the parent no longer have to be financially responsible for the off spring? In your case you are saying never if the family can "afford" it.
Uh, I haven't stated my position either way, because I haven't made up my mind.

I can see that if they qualify, they should apply for it. Especially if they don't qualify for the federal assistance so many others qualify for for college.

But at the same time, isn't this wasteful government spending?

Uh, I haven't stated my position either way, because I haven't made up my mind.

I can see that if they qualify, they should apply for it. Especially if they don't qualify for the federal assistance so many others qualify for for college.

But at the same time, isn't this wasteful government spending?

Either you believe the Food Stamp program is needed or you Do Not. If you do, then NO it is not wasted. If you believe it is not needed then sure it is a waste, but that would be because you think the entire program is a waste.

Either you believe the Food Stamp program is needed or you Do Not. If you do, then NO it is not wasted. If you believe it is not needed then sure it is a waste, but that would be because you think the entire program is a waste.
Damn, I wish you'd stop being so rabid.

I don't think it is a waste when it helps someone in need. I'm just not sure this hypothetical college student is in need. Should he apply, knowing that in the long run it's going to either take food out of someone else's mouth or jack up someone else's taxes?

Please justify it for me because I'd love to be able to say yes, apply, without feeling guilty.

I'm sort of dubious about the numbers we're given here.

I know families or two and three making less than $1107 a month who don't get $162 a month in food stamps.

Maybe the numbers change state by state, but I find it hard to believe that food is cheaper in Maine than in FLA.

Damn, I wish you'd stop being so rabid.

I don't think it is a waste when it helps someone in need. I'm just not sure this hypothetical college student is in need. Should he apply, knowing that in the long run it's going to either take food out of someone else's mouth or jack up someone else's taxes?

Please justify it for me because I'd love to be able to say yes, apply, without feeling guilty.

It is simple. If the person, irregardless of college or living on their own, qualifies then they have every right to apply and freely use the food stamps. They are on their own, the parents are no longer responsible for them, even if they help pay their college tuition.

Why, again, do you feel Fred, living on his own, can't make enough, qualifies for food stamps and we do not need to check his parents income and "ability" to pay for him. But if Fred is in a college somewhere and has the exact same conditions he is somehow wrong for applying for and receiving food stamps based on what his PARENTS make?

If you support food stamps they are BOTH legit claims. Fred on his own qualifies because of HIS income and work. Fred in College qualifies also because of HIS income and work. Both have a need that, if you support food stamps, is a legit responsibility of the program to help with.

I simply do not understand why if the guy is in college you think his parents should pay, but if he lives alone somewhere his parents are not a factor at all.

I know families or two and three making less than $1107 a month who don't get $162 a month in food stamps.

Maybe the numbers change state by state, but I find it hard to believe that food is cheaper in Maine than in FLA.
Every state has it's own way to calculate it. And I can believe food is cheaper in Maine.

It is simple. If the person, irregardless of college or living on their own, qualifies then they have every right to apply and freely use the food stamps. They are on their own, the parents are no longer responsible for them, even if they help pay their college tuition.

Why, again, do you feel Fred, living on his own, can't make enough, qualifies for food stamps and we do not need to check his parents income and "ability" to pay for him. But if Fred is in a college somewhere and has the exact same conditions he is somehow wrong for applying for and receiving food stamps based on what his PARENTS make?

If you support food stamps they are BOTH legit claims. Fred on his own qualifies because of HIS income and work. Fred in College qualifies also because of HIS income and work. Both have a need that, if you support food stamps, is a legit responsibility of the program to help with.

I simply do not understand why if the guy is in college you think his parents should pay, but if he lives alone somewhere his parents are not a factor at all.

It's not really his ability to pay, it's that he isn't paying. He's getting free rent, and making $1000 a month with no expenses but food and gas.

Why can't college kids live off Ramen like they always have?

And I don't literally mean ONLY Ramen. There are a lot of things you can buy for a dollar or less, that you can stock up on and live off of.

I mean, college is a means to an end, right? You sacrifice, and eventually you will be rewarded for the fruits of your labor. If you aren't supporting children, you don't need food stamps.

Why can't college kids live off Ramen like they always have?

And I don't literally mean ONLY Ramen. There are a lot of things you can buy for a dollar or less, that you can stock up on and live off of.

I mean, college is a means to an end, right? You sacrifice, and eventually you will be rewarded for the fruits of your labor. If you aren't supporting children, you don't need food stamps.

That is NOT the system we have. And again assuming one thinks food stamps are legit Government program there is no difference between Joe college and Joe trailer park.

Ohh and college students do not live for free.

As to amount, in my State of NC it is max of 162 also, but local conditions determine it that is just the max one can get. You have to submit the form and go to an interview or two.

That is NOT the system we have. And again assuming one thinks food stamps are legit Government program there is no difference between Joe college and Joe trailer park.

Ohh and college students do not live for free.

As to amount, in my State of NC it is max of 162 also, but local conditions determine it that is just the max one can get. You have to submit the form and go to an interview or two.

I don't have a problem with the basic idea of food stamps. I have a problem with how the system is run. It's way too easy to take advantage of, to the point it's no less a waste of money then a pork-laden spending bill.

My state is so deep in a budget deficit, that the Gov wants to increase road tolls by 700%. He didn't get his way obviously, but that's how bad it is. A lot of the assistance programs have been closed to new applicants, because the waiting lists are already so long, and there simply is too much deficit already.

Many states right now are buried in deficits. It's REALLY BAD. I will not advocate giving money to a college kid so they can go buy top notch grocery store food. College is a sacrifice in itself. You give college kids food stamps, and many of them will just use their extra cash to buy more weed and alcohol, for instance.

Really? You know families with two or more kids making less than $13,284 a year? Sorry, not buying it since an entry-level full time job at McDonalds pays more than that.

Really? You know families with two or more kids making less than $13,284 a year? Sorry, not buying it since an entry-level full time job at McDonalds pays more than that.

Buy it.

I didn't say they were working, just that they made less than that amount every month.

They are talking about all college students.. not only adult college students, I believe. So why are you focusing on 21/22 year olds. I was out of law school when I was still 23.. so I'm not quite sure where you're going with this and why. We're talking about MINOR children.

And no, they shouldn't be eligible for foodstamps if their parents can afford to pay for them.

Would I do it?

HELL NO!

I'm able bodied and able minded... I can take care of myself....

These young ADULTS can take care of themselves as well... they should be learning a bit of personal responsibility instead of acting like a spoiled kid still sucking off of a tit, this time the tit is society's

They are talking about all college students.. not only adult college students, I believe. So why are you focusing on 21/22 year olds. I was out of law school when I was still 23.. so I'm not quite sure where you're going with this and why. We're talking about MINOR children.

And no, they shouldn't be eligible for foodstamps if their parents can afford to pay for them.

psst. They're not MINORs anymore either. :eusa_whistle:

The VAST majority of college students are 18 or older. All adults last I checked.

Again Jillian if 18 year old Fred lives in a trailer park and can't make ends meet and meets the requirements for Food stamps why aren't we also checking HIS parents income and ability to pay for him?

College is not some special circumstance to enslaves the parents into permanent support till they get out.

In fact are you aware that now you can not even claim a person over 19 on your taxes, even if you provide 100 percent of all their expenses? Provide them room and board, feed them, cloth them and totally support them? The only exceptions I know of are some kind of medical handicap or condition.

Every state has it's own way to calculate it. And I can believe food is cheaper in Maine.
i have lived in both states and food is near double the price in maine than florida....it takes ALOT of gasoline to get the fresh food like fruits and veggies up here...when red peppers were $1.99 in florida during the winter they were $4.99 a lb here, that is just one example.....

food is extremely expensive up here, even compared to massachusetts....which is also expensive....sadly, but understandable...knowing how far that texas beef and other things have to be transported to get wayyyyyy up here.

Forum List

Back