Food Stamp outrage

why? he paid his taxes didn't he?

Now, you know perfectly well that paying taxes is not a qualification for receiving food stamps.

no,, but the way things are headed in this country I'm all for the taxpayer catching a break, so I won't bitch if their hand gets caught in the till. nope

I will. I don't approve of cheating and ripping people off, no matter how much justification the person thinks he has.

No. Welfare is not intended to be an investment system, where you pay in and then get something back when you want it because you're somehow "entitled" to pay back. It's intended to offer assistance to people who cannot provide for themselves financially. And since welfare was reformed, recipients are limited in the amount of time they can receive assistance and required to show some effort at providing for themselves, or proof that they can't such as a disability. If he has the money to provide for himself, then he should do so, not expect others to do it for him.

It was designed to be an investment system the same way insurance was designed to be an investment you pay into it so that when something happens you are covered.

It's still common to see old people starving on the street. I see old people starving all the time. They're old, they're stubborn, they often have other issues..and you can't force them to take care of themselves.

I have a guy now who refuses to wear pants when people come to check on him in his home, who goes to city hall and insists he has no food, dresses like it's summer in the middle of the winter, and won't cook for himself.

There's a drunk in our town who lives in an add-on shed with no running water, no income, and stays drunk somehow 24/7. He's dying, nobody can do anything about it.

The reason we have welfare is there were CHILDREN starving, and that was unacceptable. Many of them had no fathers, or the fathers had left to find work when the industrial revolution reduced the need for workers in the cities and created the dustbowl (and reduced the need for workers) in the bread basket. It was the addition of children and women to soup lines that alerted Americans to the need for some sort of welfare system.

Last edited:
Government help to the poor is not a mater of facilitating poor choices. If someone has beer money, tobacco money or POT money then they don't need tax funded food stamp money. Letalone a 300k house.

Hell, I know of people RIGHT NOW who go sell their food stamp money at .50 cents on the dollar just to have some money for coke. and im not talking about the beverage. I appriciate that we, as a society, help the poorer classes WHO NEED IT. But, if your daily fucking intake of calories comes from ice cream and soda while you game the system for spending money and a bigger house than most working poor.. well.. hiding behind your kids isn't an exfcuse to facilitate your fucked up "leech on the balls of society" lifestyle.

and I say this knowing full well that Im the biggest pot smoker that posts on this board. Ironically, I'm able to provide for my autonomy well before I pay for extracurricular drugs. Those who cheat the system do nothing but fuck it up for those who need it. Likewise, those who make excuses for the cheaters using logical fallacies ruin the entire premise of government support of the poor by rationalizing the exact abuses that undermine the system.

Should well-off jobless get food stamps? | Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati.Com

County Administrator Dave Gully says the county’s Human Services employees were upset because they recently were required to issue $500 a month in food stamps to a person who has lost their job, but has $80,000 in the bank, lives in a $300,000 house that is paid off, and drives a new Mercedes.

The family qualifies under a special federal category called “Categorical Eligibility," according to a memo Gully sent to commissioners. Other local families in similar situations also have qualified for food stamps this way, Gully says.

Total Crap. This is total Bullshit.

I was playing poker with 2 college kids this weekend and they both pulled out their WIC cards? I can't remember if that's what they called them, but I said, "you mean welfare"?

And they said no, WIC. Or something like that.

If you are an unemployed college student, you get $180ish a month on a credit card to go towards food.

Now when I was in college, I did landscaping one summer. At the end of the summer, all the guys who were not going to college got full unemployment. But if you were going to school, you did not qualify. I thought that was bullshit because they could go find other work while I was going to school full time in the winter and could have used the money.

But now I think it is bullshit. They give these kids too much $. One of the kids said, "between us, we always have money left over, so we'll sell things to our friends for a discount." So if they buy their friends $40 worth of food on the card, their friends give them $30 cash.

And they said they have so much money that they always buy name brand stuff and never look for sales.

These two kids have plenty of money. Their families have plenty of money. And if they don't, they can go work to come up with the money.

I think the government is being too generous to people who don't need the handouts.

Now I see why Republicans complain.

First of all, the current Food Stamp program was started in the early 60s, not the 30s. Different program. Second of all, I asked for proof. You simply making a blank statement that "millions of Americans died in the streets during the Great Depression" is proof only that you believe your own overblown, exaggerated rhetoric.

10 Million Americans Disappeared during the Great Depression Time | Cherada.com

During this recovery, Roosevelt launched the New Deal, essentially creating the modern American welfare state. Dozens of programs were instituted that redistributed wealth from the rich to the poor. Perhaps the greatest of these was Social Security, which Congress passed in 1935. Prior to Social Security, it was common to see old people starving in the streets after they retired. Social Security largely eliminated this shameful sight. Furthermore, the Social Security Act created Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC), the program popularly known today as "welfare."

Welfare increases poverty

You're clearly a little shaky on the concept of proof. Finding someone on the Internet who agrees with you does not constitute proof. I can find you half a dozen people on the Internet right now who insist that space aliens kidnapped and anally probed them, but that doesn't necessarily mean I believe them.

Believe what you will.

By the way, do you believe in the Holocaust ?

What you are proposing is that you force a family to sell off their house for probably less than it's worth (if it sells at all) move into a shithole where they'll have to pay rent (and probably the state will help) and use up all the money saved for the children's future.

Doesn't sound like a very good way to ensure the success of the family to me.

in that case I want my 300K house. If all I gotta do is get some bitch pregnant and toss out some bullshit story about my family's future...

bottom line.. if they cant afford to buy food then they cant afford that kind of house. Sell the house and enjoy the same rules that the rest of the poor abide by.

You're clearly a little shaky on the concept of proof. Finding someone on the Internet who agrees with you does not constitute proof. I can find you half a dozen people on the Internet right now who insist that space aliens kidnapped and anally probed them, but that doesn't necessarily mean I believe them.

Believe what you will.

that, sir, is a pretty stupid fucking thing to ask, don't you think? what does the fucking HOLOCAUST have to do with food stamps in America circa 2009?

and I say this knowing full well that Im the biggest pot smoker that posts on this board.

We're going to have to set up a smoke off to settle this.

well.. I mean.. you can TRY, I guess...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfgZH8kFAKc]YouTube - I'll Never Smoke Weed With Willie Again[/ame]

It's still common to see old people starving on the street. I see old people starving all the time. They're old, they're stubborn, they often have other issues..and you can't force them to take care of themselves.

I have a guy now who refuses to wear pants when people come to check on him in his home, who goes to city hall and insists he has no food, dresses like it's summer in the middle of the winter, and won't cook for himself.

There's a drunk in our town who lives in an add-on shed with no running water, no income, and stays drunk somehow 24/7. He's dying, nobody can do anything about it.

The reason we have welfare is there were CHILDREN starving, and that was unacceptable. Many of them had no fathers, or the fathers had left to find work when the industrial revolution reduced the need for workers in the cities and created the dustbowl (and reduced the need for workers) in the bread basket. It was the addition of children and women to soup lines that alerted Americans to the need for some sort of welfare system.
:clap2:

I like it when you are sane. On today's market they probably wouldn't even get $300,000 for their house...and it could take forever to sell it.

Not necessary for fs only. For things like SSI and medical, that's the requirement.

But not for fs. Sorry. It's a relatively cheap program that does a world of good for everyone. You're just making it harder on people who already have it hard if you start making it as difficult to get fs as it is to get medical coverage. And there's no reason for it. It isn't as expensive, and it's available. Nobody's losing out because you have the rare instance of someone who has property and some money in the bank who lost his job and no money coming into the household.

What you are proposing is that you force a family to sell off their house for probably less than it's worth (if it sells at all) move into a shithole where they'll have to pay rent (and probably the state will help) and use up all the money saved for the children's future.

in that case I want my 300K house. If all I gotta do is get some bitch pregnant and toss out some bullshit story about my family's future...

bottom line.. if they cant afford to buy food then they cant afford that kind of house. Sell the house and enjoy the same rules that the rest of the poor abide by.

Nobody's giving you a $300 k house, Shogun. You've wandered off topic a little there. And single guys can get fs too.

Believe what you will.

that, sir, is a pretty stupid fucking thing to ask, don't you think? what does the fucking HOLOCAUST have to do with food stamps in America circa 2009?

There seems to be some debate on the veracity of proof of the number of people who died during the depression. I'm just wondering if the proof of the Holocaust rings any more truth to this person. Selective acceptance of proof, as it may be.

Unfortunately for you, nobody killed or caged up the people who died during the depression, so there's no way to really verify the numbers that were killed by starvation, or why they died that way.

Unlike the Holocaust. We know who they were, where they were, what killed them and whom.

Not necessary for fs only. For things like SSI and medical, that's the requirement.

But not for fs. Sorry. It's a relatively cheap program that does a world of good for everyone. You're just making it harder on people who already have it hard if you start making it as difficult to get fs as it is to get medical coverage. And there's no reason for it. It isn't as expensive, and it's available. Nobody's losing out because you have the rare instance of someone who has property and some money in the bank who lost his job and no money coming into the household.

oh there is a LOT of reason for it. Your opinion about how cheap food stamps are means two things.. Im pretty sure you can figure out what they are.

The precedence you set would let Don Trump write off his food expense to food stamps just so you can avoid filtering out those who abuse government social nets. pathetic, really.

Like I said, this shit is for people who DONT have. Not who DONT WANT TO SPEND ON food. You are literally taking money out of the mouths of people who need it for the sake of bastards who could just as easily taken a mortgage out on their multi hundred thousand dollar house. Can I go ahead and have you pay for my meals this year so I can finally afford the newest camaro? Awww COME ON! I'll get some bitch preggos if thats what it takes for you to pay my meal tab!

Nobody's giving you a $300 k house, Shogun. You've wandered off topic a little there. And single guys can get fs too.

I don't need you to give me a 300K house if I know you are picking up my food bill for the next decade. Hell, I can pay for that myself as long as I don't have to pay for food. Is there anything else you want to pick up the tab for? I buy a lot of rolling paper and "tobacco smoking" glass "art pieces"... can I add that to the list of shit I can buy with my current food money?

Forum List

Back