Food Stamp outrage

A few years ago (maybe ten) while standing on line with my wife
the women in front of us, her pager went off,she then called someone with her cell phone and paid for her groceries with food stamps.. Outside she entered her BMW and drove off...Enough
poor my ass..Bad system, sends the wrong message to people.
Should be no food stamps don't remember them back in the early 60's the poor back then were given food by the church I know as I had a car in 1965 and delivered the food for the school.

Churches still give out food.

What's your point about the pager and cell phone? Most people have them these days. They're not expensive. How do you know that isn't the only phone she has? I know my husband and I forego a land line phone in favor of a cell phone for each of us. It costs about the same, and is more flexible and useful.

And completely aside from any other details about her car (such as how old it was, how do you know she didn't inherit it from a family member, maybe she bought it and paid it off before falling on hard times, etc.), how do you know what she was driving? And why?

For the record, the current Food Stamp program began in the early 1960s. You probably don't remember them because they were just getting started.

the women in front of us, her pager went off,she then called someone with her cell phone and paid for her groceries with food stamps.. Outside she entered her BMW and drove off...Enough
Should be no food stamps don't remember them back in the early 60's the poor back then were given food by the church I know as I had a car in 1965 and delivered the food for the school.

Ignorance abounds. The church still gives food to the poor. It's not enough. Never was.

You ready to pick up the bodies on your street ?

Ignorance abounds. The church still gives food to the poor. It's not enough. Never was.

Okay, let's not get utterly ridiculous here. Bodies on the street? Really? Hyperbolic much?

You guys can say the story is bullshit all you want. It is true. Look it up. If the family is categorical eligibility assests are waived.

Categorical Eligibility - SNAP (Food Stamps)

"If a household is categorically eligible, the Gross Income, Net Income, and Asset Tests are waived. In addition, some non-financial requirements, such as providing a Social Security Number, do not have to be verified. "

From what I read only 15 states do this.

Last edited:
Is the 16 year old cashier going to enforce that?

Everything is computerized. The system should know if a certain food is eligible for food stamps, or whether it needs to be paid for with cash.

That sounds like a nightmare in the making. I can just picture someone getting their groceries scanned before paying with the food stamps, being told that they have to put back half their groceries, and all hell breaking loose.

Do you really think that buy complaining about how much money someone has or makes that it will be a one way street Hell no
bitch about people making to much or borrowing having strings tied to it and everyone will be scrutinized.

Too bad EBT has only slowed down the illegal use of food stamps. No system is perfect, but for the most part food stamps are a good idea. The flaws come from the screening process. I say, no one with a drug or alcohol conviction should be allowed them and any state where someone making that much money can get them is wasting money for some reason.
So if someone had an alcohol conviction in their passed their child should not be allowed food? Good idea!
You forget that the majority of people recieving food stamps have children. I will use myself as an example, I recieved a Neg1 DUI and possession of marijuana charge when I was twenty two but nothing since now I am twenty eight and I have a young child, if I loose my job and need to feed my child because I have no money, I shouldn't be allowed food stamps to feed my child because I made a mistake six years ago.
YOu guys forget when you mention the limitations you want that the people who benefit most from the food stamps program are children. Get off your high horse!

Too bad EBT has only slowed down the illegal use of food stamps. No system is perfect, but for the most part food stamps are a good idea. The flaws come from the screening process. I say, no one with a drug or alcohol conviction should be allowed them and any state where someone making that much money can get them is wasting money for some reason.
So if someone had an alcohol conviction in their passed their child should not be allowed food? Good idea!
You forget that the majority of people recieving food stamps have children. I will use myself as an example, I recieved a Neg1 DUI and possession of marijuana charge when I was twenty two but nothing since now I am twenty eight and I have a young child, if I loose my job and need to feed my child because I have no money, I shouldn't be allowed food stamps to feed my child because I made a mistake six years ago.
YOu guys forget when you mention the limitations you want that the people who benefit most from the food stamps program are children. Get off your high horse!

AMEN.

We have one person here ranting on and then encouraging people to cheat. But they wouldn't hesitate to let your kid go hungry if you smoked a little pot.

What's your point about the pager and cell phone? Most people have them these days. They're not expensive. How do you know that isn't the only phone she has? I know my husband and I forego a land line phone in favor of a cell phone for each of us. It costs about the same, and is more flexible and useful.

And completely aside from any other details about her car (such as how old it was, how do you know she didn't inherit it from a family member, maybe she bought it and paid it off before falling on hard times, etc.), how do you know what she was driving? And why?

For the record, the current Food Stamp program began in the early 1960s. You probably don't remember them because they were just getting started.

Well I guess its my fault cause I have a different opinion as to what poor is. And as always you asume people who are on stamps are on the up and up or just think horray for they getting over again..
So as I've said bsfore whats good for the goose is also good for the RICH.. Everyone take advantage OKOKOK:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Assets should be taken into consideration. Somehow they are waived through this categorical eligibility clause. I have to look into this more. But from what I see so far this is bullshit.

Well, that would disqualify thousands among thousands of the receipients in Texas. It makes my blood curdle to see so them drive away from the grocery store in a car that I could only dream of owning, not to mention the thousands of dollars of accessories they added to the vehicle after purchasing.

And yes, I follow them out the store just to see what they are driving. I send my son to follow if I know I will be a while at the chashiers counter.

Until we have a decent enforcable welfare reform, I say if the don wants food stamps and is willing to cheat the system like most of them, GO FOR IT!!!

Ignorant, hateful horseshit.

MOST people are not cheating the system. You got any proof that MOST people are cheating ? Of course you don't. Because it's ignorant, hateful horseshit. MOST people aren't cheating at all. MOST people are simply in need. Since the Welfare Reform Act of 1996, the trunover rate in welfare is nearly 70%. That is to say that 70% are on welfare for a period of time and then move on. The other 30% are the elderly, the unemployable the chronically ignorant and yes, a few cheats. They are no less Americans and while we are spending billions to kill, half a world away, I find it hard to oppose helping my fellow man to live, here at home. I'm surprised you didn't throw your son out with the bath water as a child.

You wanna know my personal experience with cheats ? I'll tell you anyway. One of my best friends from high school, the first to ramble on, like yourself, about how sorry people were that use welfare or food stamps. The he got his shot to cheat. Just like you, he thought......GO FOR IT....EVERYONE ELSE DOES. Fucking brilliant.

What's wrong with the system ? YOU. GO FOR IT ? What an idiot. Hell, that's probably criminal to advise people to commit fraud.

Ignorant, hateful horseshit. BTW, quit rambling.

Okay, let's not get utterly ridiculous here. Bodies on the street? Really? Hyperbolic much?

Utterly ridiculous ? You are ignorant of the circumstances that initiated Public Assistance to begin with: people starving to death in the streets. Pick a history book. Prior to the New Deal, 56% of Americans lived in poverty. It was common for the elderly, the disabled and their children to DIE IN THE STREETS.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Well, that would disqualify thousands among thousands of the receipients in Texas. It makes my blood curdle to see so them drive away from the grocery store in a car that I could only dream of owning, not to mention the thousands of dollars of accessories they added to the vehicle after purchasing.

And yes, I follow them out the store just to see what they are driving. I send my son to follow if I know I will be a while at the chashiers counter.

Until we have a decent enforcable welfare reform, I say if the don wants food stamps and is willing to cheat the system like most of them, GO FOR IT!!!

Ignorant, hateful horseshit.

MOST people are not cheating the system. You got any proof that MOST people are cheating ? Of course you don't. Because it's ignorant, hateful horseshit. MOST people aren't cheating at all. MOST people are simply in need. Since the Welfare Reform Act of 1996, the trunover rate in welfare is nearly 70%. That is to say that 70% are on welfare for a period of time and then move on. The other 30% are the elderly, the unemployable the chronically ignorant and yes, a few cheats. They are no less Americans and while we are spending billions to kill, half a world away, I find it hard to oppose helping my fellow man to live, here at home. I'm surprised you didn't throw your son out with the bath water as a child.

You wanna know my personal experience with cheats ? I'll tell you anyway. One of my best friends from high school, the first to ramble on, like yourself, about how sorry people were that use welfare or food stamps. The he got his shot to cheat. Just like you, he thought......GO FOR IT....EVERYONE ELSE DOES. Fucking brilliant.

What's wrong with the system ? YOU. GO FOR IT ? What an idiot. Hell, that's probably criminal to advise people to commit fraud.

Ignorant, hateful horseshit. BTW, quit rambling.

Got any proof that MOST are cheating the system ? Or just a bunch of hot air ?

You guys can say the story is bullshit all you want. It is true. Look it up. If the family is categorical eligibility assests are waived.

Categorical Eligibility - SNAP (Food Stamps)

"If a household is categorically eligible, the Gross Income, Net Income, and Asset Tests are waived. In addition, some non-financial requirements, such as providing a Social Security Number, do not have to be verified. "

From what I read only 15 states do this.

Okay, as far as I can see, that just says that you automatically get food stamps if you get cash assistance or Social Security. But you still have to prove financial eligibility to get TANF in the first place. So I'm still confused as to how this guy qualifies.

Mother Fer right away you go to the kids thats it teach them young
good idea, my second wife of 16 years (first died) was recieving welfare and food stamps and eligable for free lunch for here kids;I said no way this sends the wrong idea to kids..I paid everything for them at a time when my business was holding it own but growing.
Today my step daughter (26)is the Corp. bookeeper and my step son (24)is a Manager and reciently approved for a $380,000.00 home here on Long Island. I attribute this to the fact that he was raised to achieve and not fall back and have others pay his way.

You're absolutely right because this great country will not let that happen. If a couple of blowhards on a message board could change policy on food stamps or anything else, we would surely be in big trouble. :lol:

Well I guess its my fault cause I have a different opinion as to what poor is. And as always you asume people who are on stamps are on the up and up or just think horray for they getting over again..
So as I've said bsfore whats good for the goose is also good for the RICH.. Everyone take advantage OKOKOK:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I "asumed" nothing. Unlike you, I made no values judgements or "asumptions" at all. I simply pointed out, quite logically, that you can't possibly know everything about this woman based on your observations, and should probably consider the possibility that your envy and obsession are misplaced and get over your need to try to micro-scrutinize complete strangers.

I don't know if she was "on the up and up" or not. My point was simply that YOU don't know, either.

Utterly ridiculous ? You are ignorant of the circumstances that initiated Public Assistance to begin with: people starving to death in the streets. Pick a history book. Prior to the New Deal, 56% of Americans lived in poverty. It was common for the elderly, the disabled and their children to DIE IN THE STREETS.

ROFLMAO People starving on the street? Really? I want to see proof that Food Stamps was started because of people literally starving in the streets. Now. I do NOT wan to hear poverty statistics as pseudo-proof. I want you to show me people starving in the early 1960s in great enough numbers to warrant the Food Stamp program. Let's have it.

Mother Fer right away you go to the kids thats it teach them young
good idea, my second wife of 16 years (first died) was recieving welfare and food stamps and eligable for free lunch for here kids;I said no way this sends the wrong idea to kids..I paid everything for them at a time when my business was holding it own but growing.
Today my step daughter (26)is the Corp. bookeeper and my step son (24)is a Manager and reciently approved for a $380,000.00 home here on Long Island. I attribute this to the fact that he was raised to achieve and not fall back and have others pay his way.

My mom and Dad were both born to poor farmers. Both of their mothers widowed before they were 11 years old. My Dad owns his own business and my mother went on to become a dental hygenist. I attribute this to the fact that they didn't starve to death, thanks to millions of Americans who paid to feed them. Thank you. And I mean that.

ROFLMAO People starving on the street? Really? I want to see proof that Food Stamps was started because of people literally starving in the streets. Now. I do NOT wan to hear poverty statistics as pseudo-proof. I want you to show me people starving in the early 1960s in great enough numbers to warrant the Food Stamp program. Let's have it.

Public assistance began in the thirties when millions of Americans died in the streets during the great depression.

I "asumed" nothing. Unlike you, I made no values judgements or "asumptions" at all. I simply pointed out, quite logically, that you can't possibly know everything about this woman based on your observations, and should probably consider the possibility that your envy and obsession are misplaced and get over your need to try to micro-scrutinize complete strangers.

I don't know if she was "on the up and up" or not. My point was simply that YOU don't know, either.

I guess the point that I try to make is it sucks when people need the
goverment to feed them the causes are debaitable but I know one thing the goverment loves for people to depend on them,(gonna get accused of being racial here) being dependant on your goverment
is just a modern day form of slavery.

I guess the point that I try to make is it sucks when people need the
goverment to feed them the causes are debaitable but I know one thing the goverment loves for people to depend on them,(gonna get accused of being racial here) being dependant on your goverment
is just a modern day form of slavery.

You need to get a idea of where this all came from. When families fell into poverty, lost a farm, their home, their jobs, there was a time when all they had left was to go begging. Firstly they would ask of family to help. Unfortunately, their families were often no better off, on the brink of poverty themselves. So then people could only beg of strangers. As you can see here, many strangers are reluctant to help people, even if they are hungry. What you end up with is a mass of abject poverty, starvation, rampant disease, lack of hygiene....all the things that made this unacceptable to Americans. All these blowhards here can't, or haven't considered what the alternatives are. They haven't faced starving relatives, dirty, disease ridden slums around their block or any of the things that come along with wide spread, unaddressed poverty.

I would suggest traveling to any foreign country where there is no government support for the poor. When the stench hits you, MAYBE you will understand that it is not just the poor affected by poverty.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back