Florida councilman won't swear support for US

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
MIAMI (Reuters) - A newly elected councilman in a tiny Florida village has refused to take an oath of office pledging support for the U.S. government because he adamantly opposes the war in Iraq.

Councilman-elect Basil Dalack, 76, a Korean War veteran, won an uncontested election to fill a vacancy on the five-person council of the southeast Florida town of Tequesta.

But he is refusing to take the oath of office -- due to be administered on Thursday -- because the oath requires him to "support, protect and defend" the government. His decision comes at a time when polls show ebbing support for the war.

Dalack said he believes the U.S. war in Iraq is unjust and "an abomination." He said he could not sleep at night if he took a pledge implying blanket support for the U.S. government.

"Those dead kids in Iraq, American kids and Iraqi kids, would haunt me," Dalack said.

He sued the village and asked U.S. District Judge Donald Middlebrooks for an emergency order that the oath be reworded. On Wednesday, the judge refused, saying Dalack's suit was unlikely to succeed, but he gave Dalack and the village 25 days to present written arguments in the case.

Village Manager Mike Cuozzo said the oath is contained in the city charter, which can only be changed through a voter referendum.

It is copied nearly verbatim from one widely used for state, county and local office holders, Mayor Jim Humpage said.

The mayor said the village of 5,800 is made up mostly of middle-aged conservatives, many of whom have told him they think Dalack picked the wrong forum for his anti-war campaign.

"He has a job to do with the village and we don't need the village to be a platform for national issues," Humpage quoted constituents as saying.

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic..._01_N4D277957_RTRUKOC_0_US-VILLAGE.xml&rpc=22

:wtf: a Korean War veteran
:wtf:

Now how can that be!? No way a real vet could feel that way - or be able to actually express his well-earned opinion!

Shoot the bastard!

:flameth:

This person (DF) cannot be what he claims to be ... no frikkin way. I am putting him on ignore. No 35 year veteran talks this way, I dont care how liberal they are.

:mm:

Alrighty then...

I think Mr. Dalack misunderstands his oath. He can oppose the war if he likes, plenty of elected officials do, but he still needs to take an oath supporting the United States in general.

Interesting. Why did the guy run in the first place? I can understand his not supporting the war; that is his right. I bet he supports getting his SS check. I bet he supports getting his Medicare/Medicaid. If they decide to let this guy hold office, the government he refuses to support should, in turn, not support him.

Forum List

Back