Millions in Katrina Aid Wasted By FEMA

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jillian, Apr 15, 2006.

1. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,441
    [MORE]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11326973/

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
  3. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,441
    Can you elaborate?

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    The details of why the waste occured are lost on those that didnt see the hordes of politicians and victims demanding everything be done for them and done for them immediately.

5. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,441
    Might be. But don't you think they deserved an immediate response? Seems to me that FEMA's non-responsiveness (or incompetent response) was pretty deadly. And the fact that FEMA paid for expensive hotel rooms instead of using the trailers which are sitting there empty was simple mismanagement. No?

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    The hurricane was deadly. Even deadlier was the fact that the "victims" expected way more than basic need response. I've NEVER seen the government respond to anything as well as they should have. There is ALWAYS waste. Why only focus on FEMA? The "victims" of this disaster have REFUSED mobile home housing and the cries of racism were everywhere. A profile of the "victims" and thier response to the help they received will show thier complete unwillingness to do anything for themselves. In the Arkansas tornados, the "victims" had all but settled into recovery before FEMA even appeared on the scene. Am I blaming the victims of Katrina? You bet your sweet ass I am.

7. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,441
    I think there were cries of racism because of the great disparity in the way that this crisis was addressed and it looked questionable based upon the poverty and race of the affected people. I don't think it was a racist response at all. I think it was simply an incompetent one. Brown was simply over his head and shouldn't have had the job in the first place.

Having the victims evacuate into the Superdome and not giving them food or water and allowing babies and old people to die was criminal, IMO.

My greatest concern as regards the Katrina response (aside from the loss of one of my favorite places in the world) is this: if we can expect this level of incompetence when FEMA knows what's coming, what will they do after a major terrorist attack for which they have no warning?

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Incompetant primarily because the "victims" are totally dependent on the government to take care of them and they don't just expect the emergency food, shelter and medical assistance. They want more than they ever had in thier entire lives. They still do. Look what they did with the money that was to go to help them. Putting FEMA under Homeland Security was a dumbass idea to begin with. If the agency is so screwed up, why did Katrina prove to be the ONLY example of relief problems? Where else has FEMA screwed up?

9. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    That is just a bit simplistic, like the bullshit that can be found any day on DU. It is so easy to blindly blame the federal government for slow response but that is just not the truth. The blame should go first to the fools that decided they were going to stay put in that disgusting city waiting to be slaughtered. Then you can blame that imbicile Mayor that didn't take a category 5 hurricane heading towards his unprepared city serious. Next you need to place a huge amount of blame on the incompetent Governor Blanco. She is the one that needed to ask for the feds to come in, she didn't even let the Red Cross in. Nagrin himself said that she was asked by President Bush to let the feds help and she refused. After they screwed up the response the race baiters came out in full force claiming that FEMA wasn't responding to the needs of the poor black people that decided to stay and wait out this storm in the Convention Center and the Superdome. Blanco kept the supplies away from those sites in fear that more people would rush there to be rescued.

Immediately the United States Coast Guard was there rescuing the fools that stayed. Thousands of extremely dangerous missions were flown plucking people off of their rooftops in high winds and amongst power lines that could easily down a helicopter. That was a Federal response that Blanco couldn't stop and the Guard personnel did an incredible job that they recieved very little credit for. The media was too busy paying attention to the professional whiners that came out of the woodworks like the roaches they are. The Coast Guard and other military and civilian volunteers rescued over 50,000 people from probable death and all we see is the bullshit that happened at the Superdome.

I am from Louisiana and have lived within 20 to 80 miles from the Gulf for 30 of my 52 years on this planet. I know what happens in a hurricane and as much as I hate New Orleans I was relieved to see it not get hit directly by this extremely dangerous storm. It was the breech of the levee system that surrounds that assinine city, not the storm itself that flooded New Orleans. Blanco herself was unaware of the break 5 hours after it happened, she was heard saying that water was spilling over the levees and she had heard some reports that the levee had broken but she didn't believe those reports.

Popular Mechanics just did a very detailed report on the whole story and claimed the response was the fastest in history to any natural or man-made disaster(I would classify this as man-made since there is no reason except ignorance to locate and keep a city that is 32 feet below sea level surrounded by water). Read this report for some reality....http://dolinar.com/column/politics/katrina.html or find the popular mechanics report. Another report that chronicles the extremely dangerous rescues by the thousands of brave Coast Guard crews and volunteers is a Discovery channel special..."SOS COAST GUARD RESCUE" http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/sos/sos.html.

I'm tired of the Democrats defending their own down in Louisiana and doing nothing but lying about what really happened. Try getting some real fact from people that were actually there doing positive things rather than politicizing the deaths of a thousand people. The residents of the many places evacuees went to escape the floods are getting a first hand look at the lowlifes that resided in that awful city. Houston's crime rate has gone up 25% since we opened our city to these people. There are of course good folks but they are overshadowed by the skum that Ray Nagrin is trying to get votes from.

Why is it the Democrats try to appeal to the lowest forms of life in our country? Is it because nobody with the IQ of a Border Collie would believe anything they have to say?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,441

Perhaps you need to read what actually happened. There's plenty of blame to go around....absolving the Federal Government of it's responsibility is kind of absurd. You have a really harsh way of looking at the world. And NO was anything but a disgusting city....nicest people, best food and great music. We were treated beautifully there. Maybe you were looking at the wrong things.

http://www.factcheck.org/archive.html

BTW, I think it's also kind of bizarre for you to think you're smarter than half the country.

Also, which is it? Are dems/liberals the elitist/intelligensia or are they idiots with subpar IQ's? You really need to make up your mind.