Flag Day

SFC Ollie

Still Marching
Oct 21, 2009
Extreme East Ohio
Today is Flag Day

Fly it proudly​

BLD050791.jpg

We have our's out flying proudly also. We have a pole out in the front yard and we fly our's 24/7, we have solar powered lights that lights the flag up at night.

Last edited:
I currently have one flying on my car.... because all the damned Brits have their Cross of St George on theirs and I like to make it clear I am not one of them.

I fly mine also everyday without fail. In fact we just bought a new one, this time fully embroidered 4X6' which flys in front of my home.

I did not see any mention of Flag Day in the news, I guess I missed it somehow, but the same was true of D-Day. Nothing, nada, that I cannot believe, I better quit now since I am getting a tad ticked.

God Bless America! :clap2:

FLAG DAY!! I love flags!

costa_rica_flag.jpg

WOW, great location EP. Flags are to be respected, and displayed.
I have a couple friends that moved to Costa Rica, after visiting on a 3 month visa, they bought homes there, and only ONE insurance company there apparently, it has the monopoly so everything they have is insured through them :lol:.
At any rate they love it, that's what counts!

How nice for you Epsilon Delta. However it is Flag Day for the United States of America, not Costa Rica.
[/CENTER]

Awww :( I wish we had a flag day. In fact, there should be an international flag day, where we all parade our colorful flags around. I think the best flag out there is probably Kiribati's. It's so cool!

kiribati-flag.gif

(I'll stop with the flags, I promise IOSAHSDIOa)

WOW, great location EP. Flags are to be respected, and displayed.
I have a couple friends that moved to Costa Rica, after visiting on a 3 month visa, they bought homes there, and only ONE insurance company there apparently, it has the monopoly so everything they have is insured through them :lol:.
At any rate they love it, that's what counts!

Oh I don't blame them. 80% of the country is basically a picture-perfect tropical paradise (don't ask about the other 20% though =\). We've got some 50,000 American expats here I think? My ol' granddaddy was one of those (Polish though)... He stopped here on his way from Colombia to California back in the late 40s, and never left. No good if one's a hard core conservative though: government-run insurance monopoly, government-run electricity monopoly, government-run health care, and most importantly no army. OIASDhpdsoa. The electricity monopoly also has the telecoms monopoly, but that's on the verge of being opened up. Glad they like it though! :)

Anyway, happy flag day people.

Last edited:
Today is Flag Day

Fly it proudly​

BLD050791.jpg

Thanks, Ollie! :salute:

Flag Day

When : Always June 14th

Flag Day, is a day for all Americans to celebrate and show respect for our flag, its designers and makers. Our flag is representative of our independence and our unity as a nation.....one nation, under God, indivisible. Our flag has a proud and glorious history. It was at the lead of every battle fought by Americans. Many people have died protecting it. It even stands proudly on the surface of the moon.

As Americans, we have every right to be proud of our culture, our nation, and our flag. So raise the flag today and every day with pride!

Properly Display Our Flag

There is a right way and a wrong way to display the flag. The American flag should be held in the highest of regards. It represents our nation and the many people who gave their lives for our country and our flag. Here are the basics on displaying the American flag:

* The flag is normally flown from sunrise to sunset.
* In the morning, raise the flag briskly. At sunset, lower it slowly. Always, raise and lower it ceremoniously.
* The flag should not be flown at night without a light on it.
* The flag should not be flown in the rain or inclement weather.
* After a tragedy or death, the flag is flown at half staff for 30 days. It's called "half staff" on land ,and "half mast" on a ship.
* When flown vertically on a pole, the stars and blue field , or "union", is at the top and at the end of the pole (away from your house).
* The American flag is always flown at the top of the pole. Your state flag and other flags fly below it.
* The union is always on top. When displayed in print, the stars and blue field are always on the left.
* Never let your flag touch the ground, never...period.
* Fold your flag when storing. Don't just stuff it in a drawer or box.
* When your flag is old and has seen better days, it is time to retire it. Old flags should be burned or buried. Please do not throw it in the trash.

Did you Know? There is a very special ceremony for retiring the flag by burning it. It is a ceremony everyone should see.Your local Boy Scout group knows the proper ceremony and performs it on a regular basis. If you have an old flag, give it to them. And, attend the ceremony.

Famous Flag People:

Betsy Ross was a seamstress who made clothes for George Washington. In June, 1776, Washington approached her to make the country's first flag and the rest is history.

Francis Scott Key Inspired by the British bombardment of Fort McHenry, Francis Scott Key penned the lyrics to our national anthem as he witnessed the event as British rockets whizzed in the air while our American Flag flew in the breeze

Did you Know? If you like to study flags, then you are a Vexillologist!

Flag Day 2010 at Holiday Insights

Got both the American Flag and the US Navy flag flying from the front of my house. Pretty much like usual.

Today, it's my Navy and Harley flag out on the pole (they're always there), and today (as well as for the rest of the week), my American flag is on the house.

Amarillo local news put it out on Friday, and here in Amarillo, they are encouraging residents to display their flags all week.

I fly mine also everyday without fail. In fact we just bought a new one, this time fully embroidered 4X6' which flys in front of my home.

I did not see any mention of Flag Day in the news, I guess I missed it somehow, but the same was true of D-Day. Nothing, nada, that I cannot believe, I better quit now since I am getting a tad ticked.

Mine flies 24/7 also.

On June 5, Neal Boortz played the entire prayer that FDR spoke on the radio the day before D-day. It was entirely awkward trying to visualize Obama saying something similar.

Got both the American Flag and the US Navy flag flying from the front of my house. Pretty much like usual.

I change up through the year, Presently is of course old Glory with solar lighting, A white flag with the emblems of all 5 services and the words "We support or Troops" and the POW flag. I sometimes add the Army Flag or exchange it with one of the others.

But old Glory waves for 365...........

Today is Flag Day

Fly it proudly​

BLD050791.jpg

I was shamed into finally replacing mine over Memorial Day. It was about 20 years old and very faded, but I started to put it out anyway, when my son snapped that it was time to buy a new one (for God's sake...Mom). Yikes.

So he took it down to the American Legion where they apparently collect old flags and burn them in the appropriate manner. Well the son hung around drinking shots and beer for about six hours and never did buy me a new flag! He was entranced by old war stories, which he then proceeded to repeat to me until he passed out. I do have a new flag now, but his experience with the "greatest generation" instead was worth having no flag flying on Memorial Day. I don't think he had a real appreciation of the sacrifices made for our country until then.

Mine flies 24/7 also.

On June 5, Neal Boortz played the entire prayer that FDR spoke on the radio the day before D-day. It was entirely awkward trying to visualize Obama saying something similar.

Somebody will always ruin the spirit of Americana. Happy now?

Forum List

Back