Progressives and Conservatives PLEASE! Stop the insanity!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Foxfyre, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,396
    2009 saw a record 1.4 trillion dollar deficit that began in the previous administration and included TARP (Bush), the stimulus package (Obama) and a bloated final pork laden appropriations bill (Obama).

Now in 2010, Congress has already borrowed and spent just under $1 trillion dollars more than it has taken in with four months left to go in this year's budget and, from all indications, with no appreciable improvement in the economy.

So how is the President and Congress dealing with this?

The Administration wants $50 billion in additional stimulus monies to to save state jobs (make that union state jobs.)

The Administration wants $24 billion restored for emergency unemployment benefits that the House stripped from spending last year. (Heaven forbid we should divert some non-stimulus spending scheduled to be spent from the prevous stimulus package--we might offend some big donor or a union.)

And now the best case scenario for fixing Fannie and Freddie before they trigger a double dip recession/depression is $160 billion--if you believe that I still have a nice assortment of bridges to sell you. The worst case scenario is another $ trillion (with a "T").

We are now risking deficits that will exceed the GNP.

We cannot continue this way without mortgaging the entire futures of our children and grandchildren.

Isn't it time to stop defending the insanity and start getting behind those determined to turn it around?

Obama's State Aid Proposal in Doubt - WSJ.com

Fannie-Freddie Fix at $160 Billion With $1 Trillion Worst Case - Bloomberg.com

washingtonpost.com

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,163
    I completely agree.

3. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,396
    So how best to do that?

Support the Tea Partiers, tax protest groups, 9/12ers?

Get behind the GOP in masse? (They haven't been very fiscally conservative until just lately, so can we trust them?)

Raise up a third party that is fiscally conservative?

Storm Washington DC?

What?

4. PatekPhilippe

PatekPhilippe Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    This will be a Presidential campaign issue....look for the candidates to trumpet their fiscally conservative policies...excluding Obama of course.
    The Congress needs to be emptied out of all of the paradigms from the gimme gimme gimme I I I I I me me me me me generation. The country just cannot afford to let the current status quo to remain in place....our kids won't have 2 nickels to rub together after all the taxes are taken out to pay for the entitlments voted in by progressives.

5. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,098
    the only way out of this:

- a strong and growing economy (a miracle is needed)

-medicare pill bill, medicare health care, and social security retirement reform

-reducing our defense budget back to 2001 levels

-let the tax cuts for the upper echelon expire.

-reform/reduce gvt worker benefits

-make illegals, legal....i don't necessarily agree with this, but it would add many to the tax rolls that have been under the table.

-encourage seniors to continue working and paying taxes, and NOT draw their SS retirement yet.

6. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,396
    This chart that uses actual figures for the Bush administration and CBO and Administration estimates for all of the Obama administration was published fairly early in 2009. That was before the healthcare package was passed and before Cap & Trade, recently resurrected.

[​IMG]

The most conservative estimate for the healthcare package over the next decade is $2.6 trillion in additional costs.

The worst case scenario for proposed Cap & Trade legislation is a cost of $3,000 for every man, woman, and child that will be taken out of the economy and thus won't be producing tax revenues and will almost certain add to the deficit by huge numbers.

With no fixes in Social Security or Medicare included in the mix so far, those will continue to grow and increase the drag on the economy.

So how do we fix it? The whole thing?

Impossible?

Or possible?

7. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,098
    fyi-'09 isn't projected anymore, it ended sept 30, at about $1.5 trillion deficit i believe?

8. PatekPhilippe

PatekPhilippe Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    What government worker benefits would those be?

What makes you think all those companies will all of a sudden want to pay above the table wages to those illegal aliens? They will just wait for more illegals to cross the border.

9. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Which is precisely why the borders MUST be locked down before "amnesty" can be discussed.

10. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,396
    The figure I've seen most often for 2009 is $1.4 trillion. And that is only because so little of the stimulus package that we absolutely had to have to spend immediately to save the economy was not spent but was deferred to later years . Which will increase the deficit in those years of course. Had it all been spent immediately as it was sold to the public, the 2009 deficit would have approached $2 trillion.

It is that kind of stuff that makes me absolutely crazy. They honestly believe we're idiots and incapable of putting 2 and 2 together.