First slave owner in America was black

Yeah, the agenda seems to be to absolve slave owners "because everybody did it". What's routinely ignored, however, is that it was in the Americas that race entered the equation. Previously slavery had been the result of war, debt, criminality or religion. Race-based slavery meant that even nominally "freed men" weren't really free. We're still suffering from the effects of that part of our history and stories like the OP are counter-productive, because they attempt to whitewash history rather than deal with the facts.

Whites stopped trading African slaves. Africans still do it. Who is engaged in ignoring?

You seem to be ignoring my point. Try reading with comprehension.

Slavery is slavery. It really does not matter what it is based upon. We might still be paying the piper so to speak but we would be doing so no matter what we based that slavery on.

It was all wrong and will always be wrong.

That indicates that capitalism rises above personal characteristics.

If we are to be historically correct, the first American slave owners were First Nations.
They enslaved other tribesmen, women and children. Later on First Nations jumped into possessing black slaves as well.

If we are talking about whites owning slaves that would be the first settlers who owned white children as slaves.

And yes, the first slaves in the British colonies now known as the good old USA were children. Oh and the Irish. Cromwell delighted in rounding up the Irish for colonies inthe Caribbean and for the Brit colony in America.

Last edited:
Approximately 1% of the US popoulation owned slaves just prior to the Civil War. I read somewhere that 4,000 free blacks owned slaves as well.

99% of the population that didn't own slaves were as guilty as the 1% that that did own slaves. Seems logical ....:eek:

Whites stopped trading African slaves. Africans still do it. Who is engaged in ignoring?

Slavery is slavery. It really does not matter what it is based upon. We might still be paying the piper so to speak but we would be doing so no matter what we based that slavery on.

It is a difference of degree, yes, not kind, but it was a viciousness with which the consequences we still live.

Approximately 1% of the US popoulation owned slaves just prior to the Civil War. I read somewhere that 4,000 free blacks owned slaves as well.

99% of the population that didn't own slaves were as guilty as the 1% that that did own slaves. Seems logical ....:eek:

Antebellum slavery

The standard image of Southern slavery is that of a large plantation with hundreds of slaves. In fact, such situations were rare. Fully 3/4 of Southern whites did not even own slaves; of those who did, 88% owned twenty or fewer. Whites who did not own slaves were primarily yeoman farmers. Practically speaking, the institution of slavery did not help these people. And yet most non-slaveholding white Southerners identified with and defended the institution of slavery. Though many resented the wealth and power of the large slaveholders, they aspired to own slaves themselves and to join the priviledged ranks. In addition, slavery gave the farmers a group of people to feel superior to. They may have been poor, but they were not slaves, and they were not black. They gained a sense of power simply by being white.

You're wrong about that. In the past freed slaves we're indistinguishable from the general population. Race slavery changed all that. If slavery had included all races and being black didn't automatically put you down a rung, I'd agree with you, but that's just not the case.

First slave owner in America was black

Now stop that. Don't you realize there's an agenda here? :eusa_shhh:
Indeed.

Yeah, the agenda seems to be to absolve slave owners "because everybody did it". What's routinely ignored, however, is that it was in the Americas that race entered the equation. Previously slavery had been the result of war, debt, criminality or religion. Race-based slavery meant that even nominally "freed men" weren't really free. We're still suffering from the effects of that part of our history and stories like the OP are counter-productive, because they attempt to whitewash history rather than deal with the facts.
Nope. But the idiots in the secession thread want to claim it was fought so slavery could go on...yet here we have blacks owning slaves and blacks also fought for the CSA.
Yea its some of that fancy history stuff those government approved agenda's don't teach...amazing what you can learn when you learn to think for yourself.

you were listening to Herman Caine yesterday dont lie.
Nope. I don't get that radio station up here unfortunately.

Show us how many blacks in pre-Civil War America owned white slaves,

and we'll go from there.
White Slaves, African Slave Traders, and the Hidden History of Slavery

Figure it out for yourself.

Indeed.

Nope. But the idiots in the secession thread want to claim it was fought so slavery could go on...yet here we have blacks owning slaves and blacks also fought for the CSA.

I think you're just knee-jerk posting based on your own bias. Try addressing my point, instead of parroting facts about a very small minority, just to make yourself feel better.

You're wrong about that. In the past freed slaves we're indistinguishable from the general population. Race slavery changed all that. If slavery had included all races and being black didn't automatically put you down a rung, I'd agree with you, but that's just not the case.

I can concede that point.

It was more difficult for the blacks recover from slavery and attain equality because their reality was visible to all.

It's bullshit that slavery was based on race.

Slavery was based on the need for a productive human animal if you want to bring this down to truth and not a political discussion.

Irish 14 year old slave vs a 14 year old black slave from Africa the higher money at the slave traders is going with the black.

It was what the Africans could and did in the fields that Cromwell's Irish slaves could not do as well.

Think horse trading.

I'm not wanting to ever demean slavery as it continues even as I type, but one has to look at the truth behind slavery.

Humans were dehumanized and became chattel. Humans are today dehumanized and are chattel on this planet. Nothing to do with race.

Last edited:
Slavery predates America, to say it's based on race is ludicrous. Learn some freaking history people.

You kind off missed the point in the last pages though. It would not matter if it was based on race or not. The fact was, many blacks were slaves and after they were freed, they were still associated with slaves. In essence, if you were a white slave then freed, no one knew and you could live as though you were always free. If you were black and always free, everyone regarded you as a former slave anyway and beneath them.

It's bullshit that slavery was based on race.

Slavery was based on the need for a productive human animal if you want to bring this down to truth and not a political discussion.

Irish 14 year old slave vs a 14 year old black slave from Africa the higher money at the slave traders is going with the black.

It was what the Africans could and did in the fields that Cromwell's Irish slaves could not do as well.

Think horse trading.

I'm not wanting to ever demean slavery as it continues even as I type, but one has to look at the truth behind slavery.

Humans were dehumanized and became chattel. Humans are today dehumanized and are chattel on this planet. Nothing to do with race.

It has everything to do with race in the Americas. Whatever situation you're referring to with regard to slavery of other ethnic groups the fact remains, when that situation ended, they were indistinguishable from the general population. The same cannot be said for African slaves in America. They were stigmatized after emancipation and we're still feeling its effect to this day.

Slavery predates America, to say it's based on race is ludicrous. Learn some freaking history people.

Pay attention!!! It may not have been based on race in the Old World, but rather on war, debt criminality or religion. However, in the New World those enslaved were overwhelmingly African and even after freedom was granted, were still second-class citizens. Slavery does pre-date America, but a twist was added to it here, the effects of which we're still feeling.

Indeed.

Nope. I don't get that radio station up here unfortunately.

Show us how many blacks in pre-Civil War America owned white slaves,

and we'll go from there.
White Slaves, African Slave Traders, and the Hidden History of Slavery

Figure it out for yourself.

You're claiming that slavery wasn't based on race in America. Prove it by showing us where the white slaves were. Show us where whites were bought and sold as property in the US.

Forum List

Back