Fireman Fired for bringing Watermelon to work.

This unbelievable ignorance has been with us for a long time. Today it's just spread to watermellon, bananas (?), and whatever else the deeply ignorant can imagine being racist.
==
Remember this incident:

Saying we must never utter words that offend anyone pushes the limits of plausibility to the extreme. The sort of moral code that demands self-policing of spoken vocabulary is a pathetic display of paranoia. The latest example of this paranoia burst into controversy last week at city hall in Washington, D.C. [This happened in Jan 1999].

David Howard, the mayor's white ombudsman, said he would have to be "niggardly" with the scarce funds in the department's budget. One of his two interlocutors, Marshall Brown, who is black, left the room in anger. Mr. Howard offered his resignation, and Mayor Anthony Williams accepted it.

A word, a hair-trigger racial sensitivity, a job lost
==
Total segregation anyone...?

I'm a white guy who loves to eat fried chicken and watermelon myself, so I never thought it was a very good insult anyway.

Detroit firefighter fired for bringing watermelon to station

DETROIT (WJBK) - Fired before he officially started.

Last Monday, 41-year-old Robert Pattison went to introduce himself to his fellow firefighters at Engine 55 at Joy and Southfield in Detroit.

Second Battallion Chief Shawn McCarty calls it a tradition for firefighters.

"It's not mandatory, it's voluntary," he said. "You come in bearing gifts. The usual gift is doughnuts but you are allowed to bring whatever you want to bring in."

And Pattison, a probationary firefighter, decided to bring a watermelon wrapped in a pink ribbon.

We're told some African-American firefighters were instantly offended since 90 percent of the people who work at Engine 55 are black.

"When you get your first detail at a firehouse you pretty much know what you are getting yourself into," said Patrick Trout. "So you would have to say it was probably a bad call."

FOX 2: "Is it racially insensitive to bring a watermelon into a fire house?"

"To some people," McCarty said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So..white guys cannot like/eat watermelon cuz it's a racist fruit?

MAJOR eye roll!!!!

Well I will put everybody - black, white, purple, polka dot, or whatever - on notice right now. I love both watermelon and fried chicken and frequently serve watermelon and fried chicken in my home, take it to potluck luncheons and dinners, and on picnic outings. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever been offended by that. So if you are offended by that, you might as well unfriend me now, because I have absolutely no intention of changing.

In other words, you have never been inconvenienced by this horrible PC culture when it comes to watermelon and fried chicken.

That’s awesome for you. Why are you so defensive?

They were just mad he didn't bring Fried Chicken and Black Eyed Peas

I knew a guy that got fired over a watermelon. He was manager of a Jiffy Lube next door to my office. On a brutally hot day, he bought an iced watermelon from a guy selling them off a truck. He told the guys to take a break and cool off with the icy watermelon. The black guy refused. A couple of days later, the district supervisor came down and told him that his public display of watermelon in the presence of a black coworker would not be tolerated and he was canned. On the spot.

"Jiffy Lube"

What is it or should I not ask? Things with lube are always um....well....
blushing.gif
You don't know what Jiffy Lube is? Where do you live?

It's a while you wait oil change place.
Jiffy Lube® Offer

"You don't know what Jiffy Lube is? Where do you live?"

No I do not know what that is. Salzburg, Austria, Europa.

Okay an oil change place, you Americans obsessed with sex have to get lube into everything :poke::funnyface:

I always figured you were Austrian American.

Last Monday, 41-year-old Robert Pattison went to introduce himself to his fellow firefighters at Engine 55 at Joy and Southfield in Detroit.

"It's not mandatory, it's voluntary," he said. "You come in bearing gifts. The usual gift is doughnuts but you are allowed to bring whatever you want to bring in."

And Pattison, a probationary firefighter, decided to bring a watermelon wrapped in a pink ribbon.

We're told some African-American firefighters were instantly offended since 90 percent of the people who work at Engine 55 are black.

"When you get your first detail at a firehouse you pretty much know what you are getting yourself into," said Patrick Trout. "So you would have to say it was probably a bad call."

MAJOR eye roll!!!!
jungle ham.jpg

MAJOR eye roll!!!!

This the insanity of Political Correctness.

"So..white guys cannot like/eat watermelon cuz it's a racist fruit?"

Also bananas and trees are now racist and cause traumatic experiences.

View attachment 153194

View attachment 153195

Frat Retreat Ends Early after Students ‘Frightened’ by a Banana Peel

Dammit, Lucy! I won't be able to sleep tonight because I'd be dreaming about Killer Banana Peels all night and it's all your fault. What a bummer!
Watch out for the big scary...

Watermelon...

:ack-1:

Watermelons are not scary!

MAJOR eye roll!!!!

This the insanity of Political Correctness.

"So..white guys cannot like/eat watermelon cuz it's a racist fruit?"

Also bananas and trees are now racist and cause traumatic experiences.

View attachment 153194

View attachment 153195

Frat Retreat Ends Early after Students ‘Frightened’ by a Banana Peel

Dammit, Lucy! I won't be able to sleep tonight because I'd be dreaming about Killer Banana Peels all night and it's all your fault. What a bummer!
Watch out for the big scary...

Watermelon...

:ack-1:

Watermelons are not scary!

Apparently they are now.

MAJOR eye roll!!!!
Why?
Duh.
I knew you were stupid but " duh" proves it! Oh! And incidentally it is stupid to turn your nose up at delicious watermelon too.

I knew you were stupid but " duh" proves it! Oh! And incidentally it is stupid to turn your nose up at delicious watermelon too.
Man, I loves me some watermelon, especially ice cold watermelon!

Jiffy Lube would just have to fire my white ass.

You just have to wonder what the end game is. Will stores no longer sell watermelon, bananas and shoe laces?

I knew a guy that got fired over a watermelon. He was manager of a Jiffy Lube next door to my office. On a brutally hot day, he bought an iced watermelon from a guy selling them off a truck. He told the guys to take a break and cool off with the icy watermelon. The black guy refused. A couple of days later, the district supervisor came down and told him that his public display of watermelon in the presence of a black coworker would not be tolerated and he was canned. On the spot.

"Jiffy Lube"

blushing.gif

Wait I thought there was no such thing as too much lube?

"Jiffy Lube"

blushing.gif
You don't know what Jiffy Lube is? Where do you live?

It's a while you wait oil change place.
Jiffy Lube® Offer

"You don't know what Jiffy Lube is? Where do you live?"

No I do not know what that is. Salzburg, Austria, Europa.

Okay an oil change place, you Americans obsessed with sex have to get lube into everything :poke::funnyface:

Does that make me a bad person?

MAJOR eye roll!!!!

Well I will put everybody - black, white, purple, polka dot, or whatever - on notice right now. I love both watermelon and fried chicken and frequently serve watermelon and fried chicken in my home, take it to potluck luncheons and dinners, and on picnic outings. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever been offended by that. So if you are offended by that, you might as well unfriend me now, because I have absolutely no intention of changing.

In other words, you have never been inconvenienced by this horrible PC culture when it comes to watermelon and fried chicken.

That’s awesome for you. Why are you so defensive?

I am not in the least defensive about fried chicken, watermelon, bananas, or any other good food. To make an issue of it out of it and make into some stupid PC rule, most especially when no offense is intended, is absolutely asinine to me and only exacerbates and creates racial tensions. And THAT is what should be condemned and made socially unacceptable.

So I ask you, why are some people such jerks and personally insulting when it comes to a reasoned discussion of these things?

Personal anecdote------when I was a kid----I lived in a very WASP town-----that was functionally "restricted"----my dad
managed to buy a house-----because the owner had ALSO
BEEN A NAVY MAN (poor dad had no idea that it was actually a 'restricted town' at that point) When I was about eight----
I overheard a woman MOCKING a neighbor for eating
watermelon IN HER FRONT YARD!!!!!!! I was utterly
clueless------so asked around-----and finally did get the answer----"colored people do that" !!!!! sheeeeeesh

Forum List

Back