IMG_3967.jpg

I have some real western hats........

BOP_Boss_Of_the_Plains_large.jpg

AzTexWesternDerby.jpg

hg5bNSunbodyPlantationSummerPalmLeaf.jpg

hat-johnbull-lrg.jpg

:D

Not a single one of this is an authentic "western hat"

The OP's is far more Mexican than from the U.S. Check out Hispanic TV some times to see what I's saying.

th

Oh yeah, the top one above is what the majority of Spanish and Mexican soldiers wore during the 18th and early 19th centuries. The massive sombrero with the high-peaked top and huge brim was for the peones.

th

Last edited:

AzTexWesternDerby.jpg

hat-johnbull-lrg.jpg

The OP's is far more Mexican than from the U.S. Check out Hispanic TV some times to see what I's saying.

th

Oh yeah, the top one above is what the majority of Spanish and Mexican soldiers wore during the 18th and early 19th centuries. The massive sombrero with the high-peaked top and huge brim was for the peones.

th

Every single one I posted are authentic western styles dating from the early 1800s till the early 1900s. The first one is the original Stetson, Boss of the Plains introduced in 1867. The "modern cowboy" hat was first introduced by Montgomery Wards in 1890 for the dudes back east, Tom Mix made them popular in the 1930s. The "modern cowboy" boot wasn't introduced until 1950.
What we call the sombrero is actually a Charro (originally a Vaquero) hat of which many variations were designed. The Vaqueros were the original cowboys from which we "borrowed" heavily.
Very early in the 1800s the typical anglo hat was basically a tricorn blank (before is was formed into a tricorn). The derby, top hat, plantation, prairie and John Bull hats were worn extensively up to the 1860s.
BTW the "sombrero" you posted is of a modern style, the originals were of much better construction and did not have the colorful trim.
Here's some originals:

mexicana-sombrero.jpg

catphoto.jpg

12690940_1.jpg

Last edited:

th

th

Your Cav hat is a late 1850s, 1860s slouch hat, generally the front of the crown would be "pinched" by the owner and over time retain that shape. They didn't come pre-made with the "pinch".

AzTexWesternDerby.jpg

hat-johnbull-lrg.jpg

th

th

Every single one I posted are authentic western styles dating from the early 1800s till the early 1900s. The first one is the original Stetson, Boss of the Plains introduced in 1867. The "modern cowboy" hat was first introduced by Montgomery Wards in 1890 for the dudes back east, Tom Mix made them popular in the 1930s. The "modern cowboy" boot wasn't introduced until 1950.
What we call the sombrero is actually a Charro (originally a Vaquero) hat of which many variations were designed. The Vaqueros were the original cowboys from which we "borrowed" heavily.
Very early in the 1800s the typical anglo hat was basically a tricorn blank (before is was formed into a tricorn). The derby, top hat, plantation, prairie and John Bull hats were worn extensively up to the 1860s.
BTW the "sombrero" you posted is of a modern style, the originals were of much better construction and did not have the colorful trim.
Here's some originals:

mexicana-sombrero.jpg

catphoto.jpg

12690940_1.jpg

Very good. I am very impressed.

This is the style of cowboy hats I've seen Mexicans wearing here in Vegas and in Sinaloa

th

However, every state in Mexico seems to have a slightly different style.

As far as I'm concerned the only authentic western hat is a Stetson

I prefer the outback style felt hats for fall and winter personally.

4401232_BRK_MAIN.jpg

My favorite summer hat is the classic panama

51YnM7%2BP%2BmL._UX522_.jpg

Forum List

Back