Finally i got myself a western hat

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_3967.jpg

Yup, that's a good modern Mexican style western hat.

a mexican told me that it could be both mexican and american

americans
bwowk.jpg

Look at the "American" brim styles in the picture and the brim style on yours. Yours is bent up at the base of the crown, that is distinctly Mexican. Regardless it's a nice hat. I have a couple of modern Stetsons, an 1860s onward style Stetson copy of a flat prairie style, a modern Shady Brady summer hat (made from reeds/grass) and a palm plantation. All the rest of my hats are "period" reproductions ranging from 1750 up through 1950.
I also have reproduction "period" clothing, accoutrements and weapons covering those time periods. I do reenacting and living history, mostly living history now and have done extensive research over the last few decades as well as have contacts that have forgotten more than I'll ever know.

Not a single one of this is an authentic "western hat"

The OP's is far more Mexican than from the U.S. Check out Hispanic TV some times to see what I's saying.

th

Oh yeah, the top one above is what the majority of Spanish and Mexican soldiers wore during the 18th and early 19th centuries. The massive sombrero with the high-peaked top and huge brim was for the peones.

th
Until the Stetson came into being, the hats worn were those that people wore throughout history. Some cattle and sheep drivers (cowboys, et cetera) wore Greek Fishermen's hats, because that's what they wore when they migrated from Europe to the U.S. and moved west. It has been determined that in the quintessential photograph of William Bonney (Billy-the-Kid), he was wearing a "crunched" low top hat. Bowler hats were also worn, even by cowboy gangs. All of the "movie" depictions of the Earps at the gunfight at the O.K. Corral, are inaccurate. The wore different hats, with witnesses saying "Doc Holliday" had on a Bowler hat. However, as hats wore out and as the Stetson Company was the premier hat seller in the west, old hats that were worn, were replaced by the hats sold by Stetson.

Forum List

Back