Female UFC fighter refuses to fight transgendered opponent

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Sounds like distingination to me. Why do we have to have separate male and female sports anyway.? I thought the fems proved we're all equal.

:

UFC bantamweight Miesha Tate says she wouldn't fight transgender athlete - ESPN

March 18, 2013, 10:09 PM ET

UFC female bantamweight Miesha Tate said she would not accept a bout against transgender fighter Fallon Fox if it were offered due to health concerns.

"I have nothing against transgender people. You should live your life however you want. It's about fighter safety. I wouldn't feel comfortable getting in with someone who is a woman but developed as a man. I just don't think it would be safe."

"I just have a lot of questions and I don't feel there's been enough research to safely say it's OK for Fallon Fox to fight other females. My concern is that she went through puberty as a man. Does that change bone density? Does it change her body frame?"

The topic of transgender athletes in mixed martial arts has exploded this month based on Fox's admission to Sports Illustrated she was born a male. According to the report, Fox underwent gender reassignment surgery in 2006.

Fox, 37, is 2-0 as a professional with two first-round finishes. Her license is currently under review by the Florida State Boxing Commission. She did not disclose her transexuality to the commission prior to a contest on March 2.

A former Strikeforce champion and professional fighter since 2007, Tate (13-3) signed with the UFC this year. She's scheduled to fight Cat Zingano next month in Las Vegas.

"I think she has broader shoulders than most [females]. Her hips look different than most females. I'm sure her hands [and feet] are probably bigger. I'm not a medical expert, but there are things I've noticed that are not typical of most female fighters.

I agree with her. She does have a point - growing up as a man, and developing as a man, Fallon Fox is likely going to be a lot stronger, and the fight wouldn't be fair then.

• Banned
I agree with her. She does have a point - growing up as a man, and developing as a man, Fallon Fox is likely going to be a lot stronger, and the fight wouldn't be fair then.

Do you want equality or not?

• Banned
There's been lots of talk lately about that girl trying to be a kicker in the NFL. The NFL allows it so why won't the LPGA and WNBA let men in their leagues?

Forum List

Back