federal deficit hits five year low

"The Bucktown shop owner listened as her customer debated whether she could afford the $860 blue topaz ring, set in 18-karat gold and sterling silver."

The economy's improving for those who can afford $860 rings?
Does that qualify as Hope or Change?

No, that qualifies as another cheesy "human interest/gov't statistic story". I'm surprised a Bucktown shop had a ring in that price range. It's an old Polish neighborhood that was part Hispanic in the 60's and 70's and is now thoroughly gentrified. It used to be part of Chicago's "Polish Corridor" but is now a center of the wine & cheese crowd. BTW, Bucktown got its name from the large number of goats kept there in the mid and late 19th century.

too stupid!! why be so afraid to say what the definition is???????????Obviously as a liberal you don't know.
Yup, you were lying again, this time about the definition of a recession. You are a compulsive liar on these forums, its pathetic.

Don't get baited into replying to Ed. We are a great big village and every village has its ............

CEOs are saying that the Obama administration is holding back the recovery.

Yes, Obama has chained up the Confidence Fairy in the basement of the White House, hiding it from Paul Ryan who desperately needs it to show how his budget will be balanced.

CEOs are saying that the Obama administration is holding back the recovery.

I guess its not at all surprising that a guy who had two communist parents and voted to the left of Bernie Sanders would hold back a capitalist economy!!

4th qtr GDP was a paltry .1%, that is not an improving economy. Show me 2 qtrs of growth at or above 3%, then we'll talk.

well there is always the possibility that Republican capitalism can grow the economy faster than Obama can wreck it.

4th qtr GDP was a paltry .1%, that is not an improving economy. Show me 2 qtrs of growth at or above 3%, then we'll talk.

well there is always the possibility that Republican capitalism can grow the economy faster than Obama can wreck it.
Which economy would that be, Brazil's or China's?
When are Republican Capitalists planning to pay for their wars in Afghanistan and Iraq?

Have you been paying attention to what's happening in Cyprus?

The American economy and the EU's economy are inextricably linked.

I think on the surface the economy seems to be improving, that is true.

But the foundation upon which the world's economy turns has not improved.

Think of it like this.

The upper floors of the house are getting a makeover.

But the foundation of the house is rotten to the core.

It'll be a nicer house until it falls down.

Think of it like this.

I wonder if we're all clear about which economic class that nice house is falling upon?

"Overall the decline in real wages (corrected for inflation) since the 1970s has been sharp. As David Gordon observed in 1996 in Fat and Mean, by the early 1990s the real hourly spendable earnings of private nonproduction/nonsupervisory employees in the United States had fallen 'below the level they had last reached in 1967…. Referring to these trends since the early 1970s as "the wage squeeze" is polite understatement. Calling it the "wage collapse" might be more apt.'”

Class War and Labor?s Declining Share :: Monthly Review

How likely is it any meaningful change will happen if US voters continue "choosing" between Democrat OR Republican in the voting booth?

Think of it like this.

Russia is far more linked to Cypress.

The world will survive this and if Europe stopped trying to cure it with Austerity then it would come sooner.

http://www.theodora.com/wfbcurrent/indonesia/indonesia_economy.html

the world economy will always be shifting with the economic winds.

February 5, 2013
Economy - overview:
Indonesia, a vast polyglot nation, grew an estimated 6.1% and 6.4% in 2010 and 2011, respectively. The government made economic advances under the first administration of President YUDHOYONO (2004-09), introducing significant reforms in the financial sector, including tax and customs reforms, the use of Treasury bills, and capital market development and supervision. During the global financial crisis, Indonesia outperformed its regional neighbors and joined China and India as the only G20 members posting growth in 2009. The government has promoted fiscally conservative policies, resulting in a debt-to-GDP ratio of less than 25%, a fiscal deficit below 3%, and historically low rates of inflation. Fitch and Moody's upgraded Indonesia's credit rating to investment grade in December 2011. Indonesia still struggles with poverty and unemployment, inadequate infrastructure, corruption, a complex regulatory environment, and unequal resource distribution among regions. The government in 2013 faces the ongoing challenge of improving Indonesia's insufficient infrastructure to remove impediments to economic growth, labor unrest over wages, and reducing its fuel subsidy program in the face of high oil prices.

the world economy will always be shifting with the economic winds.

February 5, 2013
Economy - overview:
Indonesia, a vast polyglot nation, grew an estimated 6.1% and 6.4% in 2010 and 2011, respectively. The government made economic advances under the first administration of President YUDHOYONO (2004-09), introducing significant reforms in the financial sector, including tax and customs reforms, the use of Treasury bills, and capital market development and supervision. During the global financial crisis, Indonesia outperformed its regional neighbors and joined China and India as the only G20 members posting growth in 2009. The government has promoted fiscally conservative policies, resulting in a debt-to-GDP ratio of less than 25%, a fiscal deficit below 3%, and historically low rates of inflation. Fitch and Moody's upgraded Indonesia's credit rating to investment grade in December 2011. Indonesia still struggles with poverty and unemployment, inadequate infrastructure, corruption, a complex regulatory environment, and unequal resource distribution among regions. The government in 2013 faces the ongoing challenge of improving Indonesia's insufficient infrastructure to remove impediments to economic growth, labor unrest over wages, and reducing its fuel subsidy program in the face of high oil prices.
GDP - per capita:
$5,000 (2012 est.)
country comparison to the world: 155"

With 193 member states in the UN, Indonesian elites seem to be enjoying most of the benefits of their country's prosperity. Maybe that's why they view "labor unrest" as a problem?

Others would see that as a "Democracy" problem.

except bank runs can be very contageous!!! Especially in Europe at a time when all the banks are in trouble as are all the EU liberal economies they serve.

The world will survive this and if Europe stopped trying to cure it with Austerity then it would come sooner.

too completely stupid. Solving a debt crisis with more debt is like solving a fire problem with more gasoline!

If debt worked Europe would have been booming to the heavens instead of entering its 6th quarter of recession!!

except bank runs can be very contageous!!! Especially in Europe at a time when all the banks are in trouble as are all the EU liberal economies they serve.

too completely stupid. Solving a debt crisis with more debt is like solving a fire problem with more gasoline!

If debt worked Europe would have been booming to the heavens instead of entering its 6th quarter of recession!!
We don't have a debt crisis.
We have a Democracy crisis:

"A recent viral video highlighted how massive wealth inequality in the U.S. has become in recent years, with the richest 1% of the country possessing more money than the poorest 80% combined.

"A major driver of this inequality is pay disparity, with CEOs in Fortune 500 companies now making 380 times as much money as the average worker.

"This is a massive increase from 1980, when CEOs were making 42 times as much as the average worker."

Congress: Cap CEO pay at 50x salary of the average worker | CREDO Action

Now you know why the rich are the problem.

Economic recovery? When Nancy Pelosi became speaker. I had a nice home in Sun City Anthem Henderson Nv. I had retirement savings, money in the bank and my pocket and I worked full time. Today after all this economic recovery I live with my wife, daughter, son-in-law and their 3 children in a 3 bedroom apartment. I lost my house, savings, retirement saving. I no longer work as I took early retirement at 62 for a meager $1100 a month after 40+ years of working in the private sector. I see economically depressed people around me all the time. Thanks to Obama the rich that helped him get elected got richer and the poor and working poor got crushed. Economic recovery? Not from where I stand.

Do they mean 50x the average worker across all of the US or 50x the pay in their compay?

If the latter I'm sure the CEOs of Intel, Oracle, Google, etc. are laughing at the CEOs of McDonalds and WalMart.

Economic recovery? When Nancy Pelosi became speaker. I had a nice home in Sun City Anthem Henderson Nv. I had retirement savings, money in the bank and my pocket and I worked full time. Today after all this economic recovery I live with my wife, daughter, son-in-law and their 3 children in a 3 bedroom apartment. I lost my house, savings, retirement saving. I no longer work as I took early retirement at 62 for a meager $1100 a month after 40+ years of working in the private sector. I see economically depressed people around me all the time.
That sucks dude, I hope things turn around for you.

Economic recovery? Not from where I stand.
Clearly not, but surely you understand that your own anecdotal experience isn't a good barometer of the economy. If I pointed out I've been doing great since Pelosi became speaker and I see people doing pretty well around me all the time does that mean I have proof we have a great economic recovery? Of course not, since we have a feeble one at best.

Forum List

Back